MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When is Deferred Exam Grade Release? islytt Academics 1 06-24-2010 07:09 PM
"Shadowing" a program question Rakim Academics 7 06-04-2010 07:47 PM
Acceptance to limited enrollment programs? campbekn Academics 2 05-30-2010 02:14 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM
How many people are usually enrolled in a "limited enrollement program"? raine Academics 3 02-11-2009 07:16 PM

What does "enrollment in this program is limited" exactly mean?

Old 12-15-2010 at 11:11 AM   #1
sana.banana

Liked: 0 Times

What does "enrollment in this program is limited" exactly mean?
Hey guys,

I am in first year life sci, and I really want to get into Honours Bio (physiology specialization)
The thing is I brutally messed up in the first term, in terms of time management, and this really brought down my chem and physics mark...I dont mind these subjects, but they require so much time and practice ...Good thing is i m back on track

anyway, for this program and many other honours bio program, the program description says that enrollment in this program is limited. Does it mean that only the super smart people getting a 10 -12 will be admitted ( i most likely will end up with a 7 or 8)...and it says that for chem 1a03-1aa3, cumulative average of 6.0 is required (do they mean 6.0 in terms of the cumulative average in both courses, or single)...also, is the acceptance based on the total average from both terms, or they give conditional acceptance based on first year marks?
Old 12-15-2010 at 11:18 AM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sana.banana View Post
Hey guys,

I am in first year life sci, and I really want to get into Honours Bio (physiology specialization)
The thing is I brutally messed up in the first term, in terms of time management, and this really brought down my chem and physics mark...I dont mind these subjects, but they require so much time and practice ...Good thing is i m back on track

anyway, for this program and many other honours bio program, the program description says that enrollment in this program is limited. Does it mean that only the super smart people getting a 10 -12 will be admitted ( i most likely will end up with a 7 or 8)...and it says that for chem 1a03-1aa3, cumulative average of 6.0 is required (do they mean 6.0 in terms of the cumulative average in both courses, or single)...also, is the acceptance based on the total average from both terms, or they give conditional acceptance based on first year marks?
Limited just means that they're not going to accept everyone that applies. They set up a cutoff based on the average of the applicants, and anyone below that doesn't get an offer. I think for Physio there's a cap of 30-40ish people? Okay good thing you're back on track! It happens to the best of us, and highschool usually doesn't prepare you, but you learn with time! That 6 is the minimum in both courses, the average, where it says limited, I think with a 9-ish you're pretty much guaranteed. I'm in Bio Physiology and most people had around a 9-10, maybe high 8's. But the average of acceptance is set based on the number and average of the people who apply. Also, they take into consideration both term 1 and term 2 marks, so you still have all of term 2 to bring up your average. Take an easy-ish elective maybe? As for other Bio programs, I know that Biology (core) accepted from I believe 7 or 7.5? And you can always switch into Physio 3rd year (anyone can take the second year bio courses anyway!) if there's space in the program. Hope that helps, and let me know if you have any other questions

sana.banana, SilentWalker all say thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 12-15-2010 at 11:22 AM   #3
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

It means they only take a certain number of students, but what that number is, and what marks you need to be a part of it can vary a lot. If a lot of people apply, it could in theory mean you'd need a 10 to get in. However, I don't think its likely

When it says a CA of 6.0 is neccesary in both terms, they mean the average of Chem 1A03 and 1AA3, so both marks are taken into account. Acceptance is based off of both terms.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Whoops, got here too late, lol.

sana.banana, SilentWalker all say thanks to Marlowe for this post.
Old 12-15-2010 at 11:50 AM   #4
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Work a little harder next term. You will be applying to four second year programs, so it's not the end of the world if you don't get into one. You should also look at what the different programs require as first year prereqs.