MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meal Plan Du92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 07-05-2011 10:11 PM
mac meal plan Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-25-2010 01:20 PM
Meal Plan VoyozooT General Discussion 17 09-02-2009 09:57 PM
Meal Plan kimrose First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-24-2008 12:49 PM
meal plan? sarahc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-18-2008 01:59 PM

How does a meal plan work?

Old 08-11-2011 at 10:50 PM   #1
mehtaad
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

How does a meal plan work?
Hey guys, I'm just wondering how exactly a meal plan works. I've chosen the full small plan and wont be cooking much for myself, and was wondering if maybe I should get the regular plan instead but first I need to know...how exactly does it work?
Do you get an allotted amount of money to spend on food every day or every weeek or something like that? Are there a lot of choices (hopefully healthy) for food? What kind of food places can you go to get food with your card?
Thank you guys so much!
Old 08-11-2011 at 10:56 PM   #2
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Apologies to the OP, but I can't help out with this question, but I do have one of my own. Is there meal plans available for off-campus students? If so, how do I go about getting one?
Old 08-11-2011 at 11:06 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehtaad View Post
Hey guys, I'm just wondering how exactly a meal plan works. I've chosen the full small plan and wont be cooking much for myself, and was wondering if maybe I should get the regular plan instead but first I need to know...how exactly does it work?
Do you get an allotted amount of money to spend on food every day or every weeek or something like that? Are there a lot of choices (hopefully healthy) for food? What kind of food places can you go to get food with your card?
Thank you guys so much!
You can add money onto your meal card whenever you start getting low. The only difference between the meal plans is the amount of Freedom/Flex dollars you have (These get rolled over every year), the basic account is the same for all the plans (These expire at the end of the year). When you add money you add to your Freedom/Flex accounts.

It's just one huge pile of money, it's your responsibility to budget your money (if you have/want to).

http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/ (Locations for the different choices on campus as well as off campus).

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
Apologies to the OP, but I can't help out with this question, but I do have one of my own. Is there meal plans available for off-campus students? If so, how do I go about getting one?
Yes. http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/mea...offcampus.html

If you plan on eating on campus every day (most likely more than 1 meal I think), best to get the term plan (Save more money, I think you save all the taxes). It does expire when the term is done though. I'll leave you to do the simple math of how much would be needed for an 8 month term and how much you would need to spend per day.

Otherwise just get the Freedom plan. It rolls over and you can add more money whenever you want. I usually just put 100$ on it and refill it when it gets to like 10-15$. You only save 5% though.

J. Dorey says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 11:07 PM   #4
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

person 1: the money is all there at the beginning of the year.. it is up to you to budget it and spend as much as u need per day for it to last you... i think the deadline to change your plan is past or very close approaching

person 2: there might be a plan... or you could just go to the macexpress office in commons and add money to your card there

ugh... ninja'd :(

J. Dorey says thanks to giftedchick for this post.
Old 08-12-2011 at 08:43 AM   #5
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Some advice: Buy drinks at a grocery store in bulk. Buying drinks 2-3 times a day on campus will SLAUGHTER your meal plan.

Also, Bridges Cafe is the best food on campus!
OM NOM NOMS VEGETARIAN GOODNESS =D

gmoney likes this.
Old 08-12-2011 at 10:00 AM   #6
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
OM NOM NOMS VEGETARIAN GOODNESS =D
Note: Best food on campus even if you're NOT vegetarian.
Old 08-12-2011 at 10:15 AM   #7
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimonada View Post
Note: Best food on campus even if you're NOT vegetarian.
Agreed. Sucks that they don't stay open during the summer.
Old 08-12-2011 at 10:34 AM   #8
Freak705
Elite Member

Sucks more that they're not open on weekends. Living in res, I learned to get tired of Pacific Rim at commons pretty quickly. Soggy-ass tofu and plain steamed boring vegetables T.T

Bridges was practically all I ate in first year.

Side-note: Thai week at Commons was the happiest week of my life

Last edited by Freak705 : 08-12-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-12-2011
Freak705
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-17-2011 at 03:29 PM   #9
Aaronkwong

Liked: 0 Times

Get smallest meal plan and if you need more money on it, add it later.
Old 08-17-2011 at 03:45 PM   #10
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

i dont understand how u guys like bridges i went there once and never went back

RyanC likes this.
Old 08-17-2011 at 04:23 PM   #11
Freak705
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
What did you order? I've never ordered anything I didn't like =O
Old 08-17-2011 at 04:39 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
They have a few good menu items, but I wouldn't go more than once a week tho. Biggest turn off was the seating...