MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Organic chemistry summer 2013 escape First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 05-18-2013 12:03 PM
Biochem Student Taking Organic Chemistry In Summer School theboywho2 Academics 3 05-01-2013 06:55 PM
Organic Chemistry 2OA3 - Summer School Juliann Academics 2 05-03-2011 03:53 PM
Organic Chemistry in Summer School.. @ Mac, or elsewhere AnnaWM Academics 24 06-12-2010 05:13 PM
Organic Chemistry during the summer sandramik3 Academics 2 03-23-2010 02:43 PM

Doing both organic chemistry + physics 1B03 during summer?

Old 03-14-2014 at 10:07 PM   #1
daftypatty

Liked: 0 Times

Doing both organic chemistry + physics 1B03 during summer?
Would this be manageable? I want to take 20A3 + 20B3 chem along with physics 1b03.
Or would it be wiser just to stick with one?
Old 03-15-2014 at 02:13 AM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

isnt hard if ur not working a job a lot.
Old 03-15-2014 at 09:15 AM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Well, plenty of people take them both together. So, the question you should be asking yourself is if there is something about you/your situation that makes you incapable of doing it.
Old 03-15-2014 at 10:27 AM   #4
-Ish-

Liked: 56 Times

If they're in different terms, you should be fine. I wouldn't take it if they're being offered in the same term.

Edit: Nvm, I didn't see that you wanted to do both Orgos. In that case take 2OA3 & Physics (different terms) & do 2OB3 during the school year. But, that's just my opinion.
Old 03-15-2014 at 11:10 AM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ish- View Post
If they're in different terms, you should be fine. I wouldn't take it if they're being offered in the same term.

Edit: Nvm, I didn't see that you wanted to do both Orgos. In that case take 2OA3 & Physics (different terms) & do 2OB3 during the school year. But, that's just my opinion.
2OA3 and 1B03 should be in the same term (first term).
Old 03-15-2014 at 11:39 AM   #6
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times

Last summer, the orgo midterm and physics b03 midterm were on the same day (2-4 & 6-8) so be aware of that.
Old 03-15-2014 at 12:16 PM   #7
daftypatty

Okay thanks guys. It sounds like it'd be difficult to do both organic chem and physics at the same time and I feel like I'd burnout doing so much work right after this session's exams are done. So I think i'll just stick to organic chem for this summer. Doing just organic chem should be very manageable right?
Old 03-15-2014 at 12:29 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daftypatty View Post
Okay thanks guys. It sounds like it'd be difficult to do both organic chem and physics at the same time and I feel like I'd burnout doing so much work right after this session's exams are done. So I think i'll just stick to organic chem for this summer. Doing just organic chem should be very manageable right?
What makes you ask that question? Why do you think it wouldn't be?

My immediate reaction to that question is that if you can't handle doing ONE course, then you have a problem. However, for all I know, you DO have an issue (family issues, health issues, work, etc) that might prevent you from being able to do it. So, is there a reason you're asking that question, or are you just looking for people to reassure you that you're doing the right thing, despite them knowing nothing about your situation?
Old 03-15-2014 at 01:58 PM   #9
R.M.D

Would trying to take these two courses during the year along with 3 other courses be a bad idea?
Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-15-2014 at 04:12 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.M.D View Post
Would trying to take these two courses during the year along with 3 other courses be a bad idea?
Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.
Like I said before to the OP, is there any reason why you couldn't? Because PLENTY of people do it every year. Is there something that makes you doubt your own ability to do it? Why WOULDN'T you be able to handle it? These aren't necessarily questions that I'm asking you to post answers to, but they are things that you should consider when making your own decision regarding whether or not you can handle a full course load.

People freak out way too much about second-year orgo and first-year physics. If I had to call the easiest course I took at Mac "1", and the hardest, most time consuming and stressful course is "10", then 2OA3 would be a 6.5, 2OB3 would be 6, and 1B03 would be 5.5. They're maybe a bit more difficult than your average course, but you really don't need to be superman in order to do decently, taking them with a full course load. It's basic organic chemistry (or introductory physics), not rocket science.

R.M.D says thanks to starfish for this post.

daftypatty likes this.
Old 03-16-2014 at 12:22 AM   #11
jenpower

Liked: 7 Times

Orgo and physics are known to be difficult courses. If I remember correctly, the average for Physics 1B03 is always around a 6, and when I spoke to Capretta last year, on average 30 people fail 2OB3 (not sure about 2OA3, that usually has more people in it).

The coursework may be a lot, I never took these courses in the summer, but they had quite a bit of work during the regular school year. If you're worried about the difficulty, really utilize your resources. There's a TA in Chemistry named Nicole Rice, she tutors outside of TA-ing for the orgo courses, and she is the reason I passed orgo. The physics profs are also approachable (in my case, both Nejat and Hughes were very nice and helpful).