MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
meal plan Jesse.C First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 01-27-2013 06:29 PM
mac meal plan Leeoku First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-25-2010 01:20 PM
Meal plan? RomanT First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 05-25-2010 01:57 PM
meal plan p_vun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 10-07-2009 09:45 PM
Meal Plan kimrose First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-24-2008 12:49 PM

Donating Meal Plan

Old 04-17-2014 at 09:30 PM   #1
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Donating Meal Plan
First let me say I never lived on campus so I didn’t have a huge meal plan and aren’t familiar with the intricateness associated.
I noticed today someone posted about not knowing what to do with their meal plan on Spotted. Flashbacks to memories of people buying anything and everything they could get their hands on just to use up their meal plans.
Immediately I thought: why doesn’t McMaster let student donate what left over? They can go to students in need that use MacBreadBin in the next year. Student would be able to get a tax credit for their donations.

Some quick research and I saw they did ! YAY!!! Or so I thought. Only one third of funds are donated.
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/22...to-be-donated/
There was at least this initiative where you can at least donate the equivalent of a meal
Students' unused meal plan dollars assist Hamilton Food Share
http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /artic...on-food-share/
Both of these are from 2009.
I would just like for people to have a discussion about what is being done on 2014 and what could we do to convince the school to do more.

And if you are into developing ideas especially ones involving technology, join HackItMac on Facebook, website coming soon. Or message me and I will add you to the mailing list. Big surprises for 2014.

Old 04-17-2014 at 11:34 PM   #2
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

Hi there MacPack,

I really love your idea! This is some great, outside of the box thinking from your part! And yes, I remember last year when I lived on residence, some of my friends tried to spend the rest of their money on their meal cards in the last few weeks - treating friends to dinners, buying booster juice everyday, packing up on chips, juice, snacks, and anything they can get their hands on basically, lol and going all out.

I really like your idea though! I think there is an option for Mac students where a certain percentage or a certain amount of that money can be put somewhere else for the next year, so if they have leftover, they can still use it for second year.

I agree as well, it would be very rewarding and forward-thinking if we had a program or initiative closer to the end of the year where students could donate their meal card money, or food/items bought from their meal card money and have it donated to a local Hamilton shelter or food bank.

I say this because, having extensively visited many Hamilton shelters and food banks, there is a need (especially for things that are usually more expensive such as meat, protein, peanut butter, and even toiletries such as female hygiene products, toilet paper, and toothpaste).

Perhaps a simple initiative or program can be started in the Residence Halls wherein in April, they can have a safe food donation/item collection drop off box for any food, non-perishables, toiletry items, and even clothes that can be donated to Eva Rothwell, Wesley Urban Ministries, Living Rock, or Good Shepherd for instance. That way, if students want to donate some of their meal card money, they can! And along the way, while they are packing to go home, they can donate some of their clothes as well, if they prefer!! )

Possibilities are endless!

arsh03 likes this.
Old 04-18-2014 at 06:12 PM   #3
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Exactly, if other schools can do it why can't we?

"Other post-secondary institutions such as University of Toronto, University of Guelph and University of Ottawa, allow students to donate 100 per cent of their meal card money to the drive, said Patrick Byrne, co-ordinator of Meal Exchange at McMaster. At McMaster, it's a third."
Old 04-19-2014 at 11:52 AM   #4
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Well, you see, it's because McMaster wants all your money while rendering pathetic services.

I don't know if it meets the requirements, but perhaps try to make this a project for those Sustainability courses, SUSTAIN 2A03 and 3A03? You may be able to gain some traction for the idea through those channels.