MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double Major? mediagurl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 05-31-2011 08:09 PM
Double Major blue15 Academics 5 11-17-2010 07:31 PM
2nd year Business Student looking to do a Double Major in Math & Stats lawleypop Academics 13 08-02-2009 04:02 AM
Double Major goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-13-2009 10:16 PM
Double Major katie_batt Academics 1 06-25-2008 07:58 PM

Double major in Math and French

Old 06-14-2012 at 11:42 AM   #1
sspilotro

Liked: 0 Times

Double major in Math and French
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody knew if it was possible to do a double major in Math and French? If so, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2012 at 12:08 PM   #2
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
The Department offers an Honours Mathematics and Statistics program, which, may be complemented with a Specialization in Mathematics, Statistics, or Origins Research and an Honours Actuarial and Financial Mathematics program. Combined Honours programs are available with Arts and Science, Biology, Computer Science, Economics, Philosophy, and Physics.
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...13/pg1477.html

So from the look of it, not really, the best you could do is a minor in French (or math respectively). But you may want to inquire at the math office in Hamilton Hall.

In my experience, majors/minors mean very little as they don't show up on your degree, and employers rarely care. If you pursue higher academics, they will look at the courses you've taken (on your transcript) whether they are a 'double major' or not.
Old 06-14-2012 at 12:13 PM   #3
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

I'm not really sure, but I do know Humanities students can double major...so you might be able to get a BA in the two subjects? I really have no idea, haha, and might be totally wrong. :x Just throwing it out there.
Old 06-14-2012 at 12:38 PM   #4
sspilotro

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks! I will look into it further!!
Old 06-14-2012 at 12:51 PM   #5
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Ha, I had similar question to yours two years ago. I wanted to do a double major in math and linguistics.

I talked with the academic advisers from both the science and the humanities faculties, and they both said it's not possible.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is, as long as you take the courses for both, why can't you get both degrees? but that's not really how it works...
Old 06-14-2012 at 12:58 PM   #6
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

The only combined honours program you can do with humanities (if you're in math) is math and philosophy.

I think you can double-major in anything, though you have to take it as a second degree and thus have to take an additional 30 units of electives or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
Ha, I had similar question to yours two years ago. I wanted to do a double major in math and linguistics.

I talked with the academic advisers from both the science and the humanities faculties, and they both said it's not possible.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is, as long as you take the courses for both, why can't you get both degrees? but that's not really how it works...
Yeah, I tried the same thing. The bureaucracy at Mac is really terrible; they give us all that rubbish about being interdisciplinary, but then don't let us combine majors between faculties. I mean, even supposedly "old school" UoT lets their students do that...

Last edited by Mahratta : 06-14-2012 at 01:11 PM.