MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any good downloading programs? Lana02 Music 13 09-10-2012 04:25 PM
Help downloading french cd to computer Biochem47 Academics 2 09-19-2011 10:22 PM
rez internet downloading limit cjdzl General Discussion 12 09-24-2010 09:26 PM
Downloading Movies Ptalati Computers & Tech 1 09-19-2010 05:54 PM
downloading ninjamachete First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-06-2010 10:06 PM

Downloading on campus

Old 09-25-2012 at 12:10 PM   #1
ledzeppelin6

Liked: 0 Times

Downloading on campus
Is file downloading on campus allowed? Stuff such as movies and tv shows. Note that file sharing in Canada is legal as long it is for personal use. Thanks!!!
Old 09-25-2012 at 12:42 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Connections may be throttled after awhile. I'm assuming dl speed wireless is slow anyways
Old 09-25-2012 at 03:26 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin6 View Post
Is file downloading on campus allowed? Stuff such as movies and tv shows. Note that file sharing in Canada is legal as long it is for personal use. Thanks!!!
Certain files are tracked, and the (typically American) company will send an email to the user the account is registered to, in this case the university. They can track you down because you need to log on with your MacID to use the internet. I'm not sure what the rules are at McMaster, but a friend of mine at UofT got her internet access blocked last week for downloading a movie on campus that was being tracked.
So yeah...I wouldn't exactly use the word "legal", especially if you're not downloading Canadian content.

That said, I never have heard of anything like that happening at Mac, but it is a possibility.

ledzeppelin6 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 09-25-2012 at 04:43 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Depends how your downloading it, but seeing as I downloaded probably 50-100 gigs of movies/shows off the web and first year and not even a notice, I wouldn't be horribly concerned. Also wireless speed isn't great unless you come to campus late at night or weekends anyways

ledzeppelin6 says thanks to Snowman for this post.

aurocks14 likes this.
Old 09-25-2012 at 06:43 PM   #5
marysmowton

Liked: 4 Times

I've downloaded close to 40gigs and so far nothings happened to me

ledzeppelin6 says thanks to marysmowton for this post.

Entropy likes this.
Old 10-15-2012 at 05:04 PM   #6
BigT905

Liked: 6 Times

loool i've downloaded what you guys downloaded the whole year in a day and nothing...
internet speeds are quick .. up to 6.1mb/s at some places, others are like 3kb/s lol
Old 10-15-2012 at 09:35 PM   #7
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Certain files are tracked, and the (typically American) company will send an email to the user the account is registered to, in this case the university. They can track you down because you need to log on with your MacID to use the internet. I'm not sure what the rules are at McMaster, but a friend of mine at UofT got her internet access blocked last week for downloading a movie on campus that was being tracked.
So yeah...I wouldn't exactly use the word "legal", especially if you're not downloading Canadian content.

That said, I never have heard of anything like that happening at Mac, but it is a possibility.
Yeah, you keep believing that American companies can do anything to you here, especially since Canadian providers keep that information confidential. Proof? Been downloading for over 6 years and not a single message.

The torrents on campus are blocked tho.

But as long as not you are fine, I had to redownload my Steam library during summer. Went over 100 gigabytes and nothing.
Old 10-16-2012 at 10:05 AM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post
Yeah, you keep believing that American companies can do anything to you here, especially since Canadian providers keep that information confidential. Proof? Been downloading for over 6 years and not a single message.

The torrents on campus are blocked tho.

But as long as not you are fine, I had to redownload my Steam library during summer. Went over 100 gigabytes and nothing.
You've been doing it for 6 years and not a single message, I downloaded three things at my parents' house and my dad (who the internet is registered to) got an email from Cogeco on behalf of Paramount Pictures threatening legal action. Whether or not it could have been anything more than a threat is another story, but you're naive to think that Canadian providers will keep that confidential.
Old 10-16-2012 at 10:14 AM   #9
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
You've been doing it for 6 years and not a single message, I downloaded three things at my parents' house and my dad (who the internet is registered to) got an email from Cogeco on behalf of Paramount Pictures threatening legal action. Whether or not it could have been anything more than a threat is another story, but you're naive to think that Canadian providers will keep that confidential.
At our off campus house, I just finished torrenting 6 seasons of the simpsons plus a bunch of other things like shows, movies and a couple books, along with my many other of my housemates, and no messages with Bell. I have no idea what you would have had to download to get a message from them
Old 10-16-2012 at 11:11 AM   #10
AngryBean
Account Locked

Quote:
How long ago did it happen?
Old 10-16-2012 at 03:02 PM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
At our off campus house, I just finished torrenting 6 seasons of the simpsons plus a bunch of other things like shows, movies and a couple books, along with my many other of my housemates, and no messages with Bell. I have no idea what you would have had to download to get a message from them
It was The Soloist (I think, I was downloading a few at the same time), and the same thing happened to a friend downloading Madagascar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post
How long ago did it happen?
The Soloist was a couple of years ago; Madagascar was about a month ago.
Old 10-16-2012 at 03:38 PM   #12
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

So you people are the ones slowing down the internet lol
Old 10-16-2012 at 03:55 PM   #13
chappy89

Liked: 149 Times

My sister downloaded a season of weeds and my dad got an email from paramount... but that's the risk you run when downloading torrents. Even still, all they said was not to do it anymore lol
Old 10-16-2012 at 05:17 PM   #14
AngryBean
Account Locked

Still doesnt scare me enough. Wonder what neighborhood you people are from, neighborhood where your own internet providers spy on you.

Swampis likes this.
Old 10-16-2012 at 08:45 PM   #15
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Just be careful. American companies will seldom pursue YOU for legal action, but they will pursue the ISP. In turn, the ISP may cut your internet.