MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Geo 2ei3 Or Ling 1a03?? jangh2 Academics 2 09-07-2010 10:52 PM
Earth & Environmental Science Major Shananaghens Academics 0 06-20-2010 08:01 PM
Earth Sci 2EI3 VS STATS 2BO3 Rakim Academics 7 06-13-2010 09:28 PM

Earth Sc 2ei3: Introduction To Environmental Issues

Old 08-28-2009 at 05:16 PM   #16
Anaam

Liked: 4 Times

Earth Sc 2ei3: Introduction To Environmental Issues
I took this in 2008 academic year with Maureen Padden. This course has 2 lectures and 1 podcast, no labs (even though it says so on the course outline).

The...

Last edited by Anaam : 08-28-2009 at 05:39 PM.

all say thanks to Anaam for this post.

like this.
Old 05-01-2011 at 09:53 PM   #15
3am Coffee

Liked: 155 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
I had it in first term.

The course was comprised of two tests and a final exam, if I recall correctly. The tests (particularly the first) were relatively easy, and the exam wasn't much harder. If you go to the lectures, you should do really well in the course. I got an 11 with minimal studying, and I'm not that smart. The textbook wasn't necessary at all. Bye, $120...

Dr. Bernier taught the course. There were no surprises in the course at all (e.g., no "where the f*ck did these questions come from?!"), and his lecturing is really good. He's also really funny, so though the content was a little dry (for some) at times, it wasn't unbearable to sit through.

/crushonprof

Hope that helped!
You had a crush? on.... on bernier?

Dissapoint.
Old 05-01-2011 at 09:56 PM   #16
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3am Coffee View Post
You had a crush? on.... on bernier?

Dissapoint.
He's hilarious! And really nice. And I don't actually have a crush on him, it just sounded like I did with my rambling.

Last edited by alh24 : 05-01-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2011 at 10:20 PM   #17
leafy

Liked: 0 Times
I agree I also had this course in first term. It's fairly easy provided you attend lectures other than that not much work was required. It's a good elective choice nevertheless
Old 08-10-2011 at 11:56 AM   #18
albalks

Liked: 16 Times
Hi

For those who took the course with Bernier, how was the short answer?

I know he taught Enviro 1A03 last year and the exam was made up of short answer questions and people ended up doing poorly.

Thanx!
Old 01-03-2012 at 10:52 AM   #19
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times
the textbook this term is "environmental challenge and change" ... is it really needed? Maureen Padden is the prof .. will her notes provide enough information? is there a point in buying the text?
Old 01-05-2012 at 09:28 AM   #20
mr.icecooler

i heard there are assignments this term, what are the assignments and how many?
Old 01-08-2012 at 12:54 AM   #21
Richa

Liked: 11 Times
can someone provide the outline for this term? I can only find the one for summer with bernier on the website.

Richa Sud
Hon. Psychology (BSc.) IV

Old 01-10-2012 at 09:39 AM   #22
mlui

Liked: 3 Times
Here is the outline for Winter 2012
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Environmental Issues Outline W2012.pdf (113.7 KB, 256 views)

Richa says thanks to mlui for this post.
Old 04-10-2012 at 07:08 PM   #23
jessvander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlui View Post
Here is the outline for Winter 2012
can anyone that took the course this year tell me how easy the projects were? like were they individual and presentations? or group projects?

thanks!
Old 04-10-2012 at 08:15 PM   #24
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessvander View Post
can anyone that took the course this year tell me how easy the projects were? like were they individual and presentations? or group projects?

thanks!
there was 1 project worth 15%. the project was a lifestyle project that you did individually, basically you picked three topics (out of water, heat, electricity, waste, transportation) and for 3 weeks you work on reducing those things, and each week you write a one page journal about your experience and what you did... week 1 you would reduce for 2 days, then week 2 youd reduce for 3 days, week 3 reduce for 4 days. it was pretty easy to get a good mark. if you didnt want to do this you could choose to write a paper due at the end of the semester, but honestly i think its way easier to do the lifestyle project !
Old 12-11-2013 at 11:01 AM   #25
Craigolas

I had it with Dr. Luc Bernier this term. It was an interesting class and not that hard at all. It consisted of two lectures a week, plus additional podcasts to go with it. We would have online quizzes every few weeks, based entirely on the textbook or Google. Marks were based on:

Quizzes 20% (best 4 out of 5)
i-Clicker Participation 10%
Assignments 30% (2 papers)
Final Exam 40%

Overall, the course was pretty interesting and we learned about current environmental issues in Canada. The textbook is worth it, unless one of your friends buy it and you do the quizzes together. The Final Exam is based almost entirely on the lecture notes, podcasts, and videos we watched in class. The textbook will only help supplement what you have learned. If you put in the work, it is easy to do well in this class.
Old 04-26-2014 at 09:34 PM   #26
beebee2

Took in Fall 2013

Assignments: These were supposed to be around 5-6 pages. Recommend starting these early and try to not leave to last minute. You have to write an argumentative essay on answering one of 3 questions surrounding broad environmental issues. There are TA office hours for paper writing and would recommend going to ask your TA questions and for clarifications if youre having trouble - mine was very helpful! If you don't mind writing, and putting in some honest effort, then the assignments should be fine. Helped with critical thinking development as well.

Quizzes: based on the podcast and the textbook - possible to do well on quizzes and helps bring your grades up. iClickers help boost as well.

Exam: : Able to do well on as long as you study, like any other course. Go over your notes, formulate potential responses to the questions he gives to class before exams and you should be able to do fine.

Overall Opinion: Enjoyed the course, interesting content, substituted with many CBC videos, helped with critical thinking and did well!
Old 05-04-2014 at 08:52 AM   #27
beebee2

ENVIR SCI 2EI3 Review
Took in Fall 2013

Assignments: These were supposed to be around 5-6 pages. Recommend starting these early and try to not leave to last minute. You have to write an argumentative essay on answering one of 3 questions surrounding broad environmental issues. There are TA office hours for paper writing and would recommend going to ask your TA questions and for clarifications if youre having trouble - mine was very helpful! If you don't mind writing, and putting in some honest effort, then the assignments should be fine. Helped with critical thinking development as well.

Quizzes: based on the podcast and the textbook - possible to do well on quizzes and helps bring your grades up. iClickers help boost as well.

Exam: : Able to do well on as long as you study, like any other course. Go over your notes, formulate potential responses to the questions he gives to class before exams and you should be able to do fine.

Overall Opinion: Enjoyed the course, interesting content, substituted with many CBC videos, helped with critical thinking and did well!
Old 07-02-2014 at 09:45 AM   #28
jvux

Liked: 1 Time
Fall 2013

- We had to write 2 essays. You can go in for help during office hours, but my TA didn't give any helpful suggestions. Your mark really depends on which TA you got. You can also get essay help at the student success office (you make an appointment through oscarplus)

- Lectures were interesting. Dr. Bernier posted lectures before class, and you would fill in the blanks. We also watched a lot of videos/CBC clips.

- All the material for the weekly quizzes came from the podcast and textbook.

- I thought the exam was a bit strange. You had to read case studies and answer questions. I don't remember using any material I learned during lectures to answer the questions. There was also an essay question. Be sure to come up with potential questions+responses.
Old 06-12-2015 at 09:44 AM   #29
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times
Took this course in Fall 2014,

The course had biweekly quizzes (20%), term paper (30%), debate (10%), I-clicker participation (10%) & a final exam (30%). The quizzes were straightforward Bernier quizzes. Join the FB group and use a google doc and you'll get a 100 on this easily. The term paper had tutorials to attend to get peer feedback and meet checkpoints so you don't fall behind in the writing process. 10% was literally handed to you if you completed things on time and the term paper itself was 20%. It was marked fair and it was pretty easy. The debate was on a topic on environmental issue discussed in class. It was interesting to say the least but pretty easy again. The final exam was 100 MC from lecture notes, podcasts and movies/documentaries shown in class. Again, straightforward and no tricks literally memorize the stuff and you'll get a good mark. This course is definitely a bird course and I'd recommend taking it.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search