MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy First Year Elective caitygambi Academics 1 06-25-2010 08:43 PM
easy social science/ humanities as an elective? ae1011 Academics 19 06-07-2010 10:03 PM
Easy Elective Courses Lizliz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-17-2009 08:43 PM
Looking for an easy 1st level elective that has fewer core sections but some choice aviaf Academics 1 10-13-2008 03:15 PM

easy first year elective

Old 07-03-2010 at 09:02 PM   #1
Katelyn999

Liked: 0 Times

easy first year elective
Hey!
has anyone taken, or know of an easy bird course as a first year elective? i would also like to hear about really interesting courses people have taken. so if anyone knows any easy first year electives or and really interesting first year electives please let me know!
Thanks!
Old 07-03-2010 at 09:17 PM   #2
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I went into first year taking two courses I thought would be "bird" (music history and film studies) and was learned that no university class is "bird." I think that if you take something that genuinely seems interesting to you then you'll find it easier because you'll want to be engaged with the material. That being said I took Communications (CMST 1A03) in the summer last year as an elective and really enjoyed it. We learned about language, how to communicate effectively, the media. We had to give a speech, write a news release and do a blog. The prof I had was Dr. Savage, but it may be someone different during the fall/winter term.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 07-03-2010 at 09:37 PM   #3
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Philosophy 1E03- An awesome class with an awesome prof, and really interesting material. The workload isn't too bad (one page of writing and maybe an hour of reading per week, plus one larger essay), and overall the material is really easy.

Econ 1B03/1BB3- Both very easy courses, with a light workload- a small assignment a week for 1BB3, and apparently less for 1B03, as well as two midterm tests. The material is really easy, and most people tend to do well in them. Some very basic math is involved. I haven't actually taken 1B03, but most people consider it easier than 1BB3, which I took. I found the final exam somewhat difficult and walked out feeling discouraged, but it turned out much better than expected.

Depending on your faculty Psych 1X03/1XX3 might not be an elective, but I also can't recommend them highly enough. Really easy, and very interesting. The best part is you don't even need to get out of bed for the lectures since they're online! (Although last year for 1XX3 they ended up adding in a weekly real life lecture, it might not have stayed. Fingers crossed!) Only one midterm, and some small quizzes.
Old 07-03-2010 at 10:18 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn999 View Post
Hey!
has anyone taken, or know of an easy bird course as a first year elective? i would also like to hear about really interesting courses people have taken. so if anyone knows any easy first year electives or and really interesting first year electives please let me know!
Thanks!
Courses I found easy:

Math 1A03, Physics 1B03/1BB3, Chem 1A03/1AA3 and Econ 1B03 were all easy.

You should note that subjects that just because someone finds a course easy doesn't mean you will. For every course there is someone that finds it easy.
Old 07-04-2010 at 09:06 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I took Kin 1Y03/1YY3--both really interesting courses that weren't much work (until the exam). It depends what you're interested in, though.
Old 07-04-2010 at 09:43 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I took Kin 1Y03/1YY3--both really interesting courses that weren't much work (until the exam). It depends what you're interested in, though.
I'm guessing you took it with Parise & MacDonald?
Old 07-05-2010 at 09:36 AM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Yep As far as I know, they're the only profs who teach those courses...it could have changed, though.
Old 07-07-2010 at 07:43 AM   #8
vkozina

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn999 View Post
Hey!
Thanks!
Multimedia...but from other threads of people asking if anyone has dropped these classes, this might not be an option.
I'd say art history or classical archaeology would be decent choices.
Depends what your definition of easy is.
Old 07-07-2010 at 10:08 AM   #9
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkozina View Post
Multimedia...but from other threads of people asking if anyone has dropped these classes, this might not be an option.
I'd say art history or classical archaeology would be decent choices.
Depends what your definition of easy is.
Yeah, multimedia and CMST are pretty popular courses so they usually fill fast.

I thought English/CSCT 1B03 was interesting (sort of easy but I think the course has changed again since I took it) and French 1A06 was pretty easy, but it would depend on the prof since many different profs teach this course. I also heard French 1Z06 (the beginner French course) was a breeze.
Old 07-07-2010 at 10:27 AM   #10
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Either one of the GEOG's. GEOG 1HA3 (Society and Culture) or GEOG 1HB3 (City and Economy).

Both are offered in either term, and both are possible to earn a high grade with decent effort.

The "frontline" instructors are Dr. Michael Mercier, and Dr. Walt Peace. Either of them are a pleasure. Personally, Mercier is the best lecturer I have had the pleasure to learn from to date.

I was in Engineering my First year, however, after taking both as electives in Term 2 of this past year, I immediately knew I wanted to be in Geography. They open your mind so much, and really thrive on creative, independent thinking.

PM me if you would like any other info about the course, or the Program in general

Last edited by jhan523 : 07-09-2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Not in compliance of the COC
Old 07-13-2010 at 04:02 AM   #11
strawbrryjam

how's psych 1xx3 as an elective? :O~

wat about music 1AA3? :O~ any1 know?
Old 07-17-2010 at 11:35 AM   #12
k.shobi

which course is an easier elective to take: Enviro 1A03, Econ 1BB3, or Econ 1B03?
Old 07-17-2010 at 12:00 PM   #13
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbrryjam View Post
how's psych 1xx3 as an elective? :O~

wat about music 1AA3? :O~ any1 know?
I found Psych 1XX3 quite easy, but I know others found it a bit difficult. If you do well with multiple choice courses, you'll probably find it pretty easy as well. No experience with Music 1AA3 though, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.shobi View Post
which course is an easier elective to take: Enviro 1A03, Econ 1BB3, or Econ 1B03?
They're all supposed to be pretty easy, but Econ 1BB3 I took and can say its quite easy. Econ 1B03 is supposed to be even easier, although less interesting.