MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone taking MATH 1B03 OR ECON 1B03 right now? Aeria Academics 9 11-06-2011 05:59 PM
Econ 1BB3 and Econ 1B03 in the same semester a good idea? melodicdream First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-13-2009 01:04 PM
Econ 1B03 and ECON 1BB3 lampk Academics 24 06-24-2009 09:26 AM

Econ 1b03...

Old 12-15-2011 at 10:13 PM   #1
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Econ 1b03...
After writing the exam, the general consensus is that this course is no longer as easy as it used to be... so beware of that if you're planning to take it as a "bird" course!!
Old 12-15-2011 at 10:21 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

The exam was slightly tricky but if you knew all of your concepts 100% it would've still be a breeze. I believe I got perfect on it considering the max mark is 112%.
Old 12-15-2011 at 10:52 PM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

My understanding and the general consensus seems to be that the course has gotten harder. The course still isn't "hard" but it's definitely now something that you might need to put a bit of effort into getting a good mark. I know I found a few of the questions on the exam tricky.
Old 12-15-2011 at 11:10 PM   #4
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Yes, ask anyone who took it last year first term and they would tell you...on avenue lots of students were complaining..ohh funny thing happened :
last year after the econ exam so many people were complaining about the exam, but one guy agreed on what Holmes said (I forgot what it was), and I think he asked her something...but she never replied to him...after coupla days his reply was this:

"Next time have the common decency to reply to me"
Old 12-15-2011 at 11:19 PM   #5
wesiscool

Liked: 13 Times

Prob cause there were no sample finals and way too many people understudy for this course
Old 12-16-2011 at 12:00 PM   #6
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I still wouldn't call it hard...
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 12-16-2011 at 02:54 PM   #7
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

the exam was always substantially more difficult than either of the midterms. Still, a solid day of studying should have easy allowed you to ace it, if you are thinking about it logically.

I find there are 2 people:
1) Those who are studying econ in an economics sense. They try to memorize patterns and ideas and learn to do the math questions as specified in the lecture slides. Like a typical course they blank on small, costly facts and can do quite poorly.

2) Those who have zero economic foundation or care and look at economics as applied logic and mathematics. The majority of this beginner course can be learned by simply looking at it in the most logical sense and attempting to deduce things yourself. The mathematics questions can usually be solved by looking at the shapes on the graphs and using basic trig to solve things (dont even need to understand the content, just read the graph titles and axis to get the real world interpretations)

...or do what I did for the math questions and set up a series of equations based on the idea there are multiple questions each based on the same data, and only one correct answer. Therefore the correct answers are related to eachother. By setting up a series of equations and solving you can find the common data and get the correct answers easy and faster than actually doing the question.

I have found that those I have spoken to (mostly engineers) have been quite a bit more successful with the second method, assuming you are taking the course for minimal effort high marks, and not to actually learn econ.
Old 12-16-2011 at 03:13 PM   #8
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

I definitely was a number 2
Old 12-16-2011 at 03:40 PM   #9
Differential

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
the exam was always substantially more difficult than either of the midterms. Still, a solid day of studying should have easy allowed you to ace it, if you are thinking about it logically.

I find there are 2 people:
1) Those who are studying econ in an economics sense. They try to memorize patterns and ideas and learn to do the math questions as specified in the lecture slides. Like a typical course they blank on small, costly facts and can do quite poorly.

2) Those who have zero economic foundation or care and look at economics as applied logic and mathematics. The majority of this beginner course can be learned by simply looking at it in the most logical sense and attempting to deduce things yourself. The mathematics questions can usually be solved by looking at the shapes on the graphs and using basic trig to solve things (dont even need to understand the content, just read the graph titles and axis to get the real world interpretations)

...or do what I did for the math questions and set up a series of equations based on the idea there are multiple questions each based on the same data, and only one correct answer. Therefore the correct answers are related to eachother. By setting up a series of equations and solving you can find the common data and get the correct answers easy and faster than actually doing the question.

I have found that those I have spoken to (mostly engineers) have been quite a bit more successful with the second method, assuming you are taking the course for minimal effort high marks, and not to actually learn econ.
or draw graphs and get 110%