Professor Rating
70%70%70%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
100%100%100%
Average 90%
Econ 1BB3 Winter 2011 Review

The course has changed a bit since the original review so I decided to post this one.

Course Content:

- 1st 4 chapters are identical to econ 1b03 (supply & demand, comparative advantages, production possibilities, etc)
- Then you go on to talk about GDP & CPI, factors of production, Saving & Investment, Unemployment & labor, the Monetary system, open economies & then end with Aggregate Supply & Demand
- The course DOES build on concepts so make sure you have Supply & Demand curves down to a tee..everything is more or less based off of that.
- I personally found it pretty interesting and more applicable to daily life than micro.

Difficulty of Course

- if you're pretty decent at math this course should be no problem for you, even with no econ/business background.
- I'd say the course is really easy and straightforward (for me) up until the end of chapter 12. Chapters 13-15 (more on open economy policy & aggregate supply/demand) aren't 'hard' but take a little more thought process. And again, everything comes down to understanding supply & Demand and what factors affect those curves.

Professor

O'Shaugnessy. She is.. alright. Her slides are mediocre & her lecture style isn't too bad, but I found that the textbook explained the majority of concepts better than she did. She came in handy near the end of the term with chapter 14 & 15.

Mark Breakdown:

- 2 Midterms, whichever you score better on is worth 30%, other one is 20%
- Final Exam - 50%

Difficulty of Midterms / Exam:

- Midterm 1 covered ch 1-6, with 40 m/c questions and 15 marks of s/a. Seeing as I had already taken 1B03, I did not find this midterm to be that difficult.
- Midterm 2 covered ch 7-11, same format as MT1. It was only more challenging in the sense that all of the material was new. But the difficulty of questions was comparable to MT1.
- Exam was quite more challenging than the midterms, more so in the multiple choice. The average was significantly lower than the midterms.

Textbook Necessary?
- most definitely. And I'd reccomend getting Aplia too, the assignments, though no longer mandatory, really helped solidify concepts for me.
- textbook does a better job explaining than her notes up until chapter 13. Then I'd say she does a better job.

How to 11/12 the Course
- read the chapters ahead of time & do the corresponding text questions that she posts. A lot of the time she will put questions from them on the midterm
- do her practice test and if possible get old practice tests off of other people. they come in handy.
- she doesn't post her notes, and while they aren't a great help they're good for where to focus your attention in the textbook.
- In the textbook make sure to skim upon stuff she didn't cover. It sometimes come up in multiple choice.
- A lot of the times on short answer she will take something directly from her notes and ask you to regurg it. So that being said, review her notes.
- Don't take it too lightly. Yes, it is a bit of an easier course, but, like anything else, if you want to get an 11/12, you need to put in the effort.

benstinks says thanks to Mz.Morra13 for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Econ 1BB3 Winter 2011 Review!

Old 04-20-2011 at 03:10 PM   #2
cmg_09

Liked: 1 Time
I just had the course, I agree ^^
Old 04-20-2011 at 06:31 PM   #3
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times
Easy course and a fun one too. Makes you learn useful stuff.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search