MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Econ Minor Electives and Econ 3d03 review rushilc Academics 3 01-03-2014 08:56 PM
Econ 3d03 tierneyyl Academics 1 12-26-2013 03:58 PM
Econ 3D03 baodo1 Academics 0 01-06-2012 06:45 PM

Econ 3D03

Econ 3D03
Labour Economics
Published by Kudos
05-06-2014
Published by
Elite Member

Econ 3D03

I took this course this past semester (winter 2014) with Phil DeCicca, who mostly teaches at the graduate level. This class started out as quite an ordeal to get through but became a very good learning experience as the semester went on.

The course focuses on different labour models. At the beginning of the semester, we focused on the income-leisure model, substitution/income effects, supply and demand of labour, with a few policy applications like overtime laws and welfare schemes. This part of the course was quite dry and technical, reminiscent of Econ 2GG3 only without all the math. After the midterm, we focused on more applicable aspects of labour econ including immigration, labour mobility, education and discrimination. This part of the course was generally more interesting. Each week was fairly contained, so missing one lecture didn't set you behind for the next, which was nice.

The evaluations were:

20% - Four problem sets. These consisted of 12-15 questions that were marked only for submission -- ie, you need not complete them: anything submitted got 100%, even a blank piece of paper with your name on it. Most of the time, DeCicca actually gave us the answers before they were due and it was helpful to work off those. I recommend doing these problem sets because I found them helpful... either way, hand something in. 20% is a pretty big giveaway.

25% - Midterm exam. This was challenging (class average around 67%) but many people I spoke to seemed to do well. I studied off the problem set answers and did fine.

55% - Final exam. This was very, very hard but not impossible. Both the midterm and final were short answer, with most answers involving a graph and explanation.

The key to doing well in this class is actually understanding how the models work. Memorization is not enough in this class as DeCicca specifically tests on things he hasn't specifically taught, but that should be simple if you actually understand the way the model works. That said, this is the exact reason why it was an enriching academic experience -- understanding the models forces you to interact with the material.

DeCicca does not post notes on Avenue whatsoever. His lectures are long, but thorough. He is a VERY nice guy who really does want to help his students out... he also goes above and beyond to actually get to know his students, and he succeeds, which is pretty unusual in a large-ish class.

Tips: go to class(!!!), go to his review sessions, go to office hours. What you gain will be invaluable, and that is an actual understanding of the course materials. That, and only that is what will get you through the brutal final exam. Don't be afraid of this class, but don't take it if you're looking for a bird course either.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Econ 3D03!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search