Sociology 3O03 or 3W03? sobiak Academics 1 06-24-2014 12:47 PM
Econ 3T03/Econ 3W03 bells Academics 10 08-07-2013 08:51 AM
English 3W03 kokosas 3rd Year Course Reviews 1 12-11-2008 11:41 AM

Econ 3W03

Old 06-20-2018 at 05:56 PM   #1
Phoenix95

Liked: 2 Times

Econ 3W03
Has anyone taken this course? If so, how was it? Course load, difficulty, format, etc.
Old 06-21-2018 at 03:40 PM   #2
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

The prof who was teaching it was Jefferson. But he's retired from Mac as of this summer, and the department is looking to hire someone to teach the class.

I would suggest you stay away from that class this year, because you have no idea who or what is going to teach it. A sessional or Ph.D. is sometimes a good teacher, but other times will be a disaster who destroys your average and doesn't teach you a thing.

Phoenix95 says thanks to old guy for this post.
Old 06-21-2018 at 07:34 PM   #3
Phoenix95

Do you have suggestion for third year Econ course that isn't too difficult and only needs Econ 2G03/2X03 as pre-requisite?
Old 06-25-2018 at 10:49 AM   #4
viejo

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix95 View Post
Do you have suggestion for third year Econ course that isn't too difficult and only needs Econ 2G03/2X03 as pre-requisite?
I found Econ 3Z03 (Health Economics, prof Barb. Bloemhof) to be interesting, and not particularly difficult, with econ 2G03 or 2X03 as a prerequisite plus a recommendation for a stats course. It has less math than most econ courses, and there is opportunity for interaction in the class, because the class size is smaller than most other econ courses than I have taken. The exams and mid-terms are somewhat different from other courses - they are not multiple choice, mainly short written paragraphs. You are permitted to bring a 1-page cheat-sheet to test and exams. Also, there are three written exercises , done in class, with the topics given ahead of time, so you can prepare.
Whether you find the course easy depends on your taste for writing vs. math.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix95 says thanks to viejo for this post.
Old 06-25-2018 at 04:56 PM   #5
Phoenix95

I saw that course and was thinking of taking it, but the prof is different. It's Anastasios Papanastasiou. Do you know anything about him and his teaching style? Is he a good prof? I feel like short written passages might be nice because you can get part marks, whereas MC you're either right or wrong.
Old 06-25-2018 at 10:31 PM   #6
viejo

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
I saw that course and was thinking of taking it, but the prof is different. It's Anastasios Papanastasiou. Do you know anything about him and his teaching style? Is he a good prof? I feel like short written passages might be nice because you can get part marks, whereas MC you're either right or wrong.

Prof Papanastasiou taught Econ 2GG3 (consumer choice and similar stuff) when I took it in fall 2017. It turned out to be about my least favourite econ course so far, partly because I didn't find the subject matter to be particularly interesting. Also the prof has a moderate accent, not too hard to understand, but he did not speak very loudly, so I had to concentrate to catch what he was saying. Also his writing was small and hard to read (for me anyway). It didn't help that my class before the 2GG3 course was on the far side of the campus, so I usually got in late and had to sit at the back of the lecture room. Also, the prof did not provide regular outline notes on Avenue to Learn to help follow along with the lectures. I have heard a couple of other people make similar comments.

BTW, if you decide to take 3Z03, I still have the text book from last year (Health Economics, Jeremiah Hurley, First Ed), which I want to sell.

I am enrolled for 3Q03 (Econ of Aging) in Sept, which sounds interesting.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2018 at 11:21 AM   #7
old guy

Quote:
All the econ classes require work by third year.

Demidova teaches development this fall. She's an easy prof but also tries to educate. She also teaches 3HH3 trade this winter, which I took with her and enjoyed. You can also take 3HH3 with Pujolas.

People have said Ivanov's game theory is great, but I never took that class. Brueggemann is a good teacher, but her 3K03 is a very dry course. Econometrics is fun, and the new prof is also introducing R programming in the class.

I wouldn't recommend any other third year econs this year.

Last edited by old guy : 06-27-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-28-2018 at 05:57 PM   #8
Phoenix95

Is Pujolas any good? I'm currently enrolled in his class this coming fall. Should I trade into Demidova's class?
Old 06-29-2018 at 04:56 PM   #9
old guy

Either Pujolas or Demidova should be okay for trade.