MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Econ 3S03 and Econ 3HH3 for a commerce student? sabrinaj9 Academics 3 10-14-2012 10:48 AM
switching commerce to econ? rmfldkdtm Academics 6 06-21-2011 10:53 PM
Commerce/Econ course mcmaster12 Academics 0 08-11-2010 04:56 PM

ECON vs. COMMERCE

Old 06-03-2014 at 11:33 AM   #1
McDonalds

Liked: 4 Times

ECON vs. COMMERCE
Hi I'm having quite the dilemma (in commerce and having a program crisis) and wondering which could get me more opportunities in the long run, econ or commerce, is degroote a good school? Thanks!

pizzaslice likes this.
Old 06-03-2014 at 11:47 AM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

You can't do much with econ alone is what my econ friends say. Need like a master/PHD or something else to supplement
Old 06-03-2014 at 04:17 PM   #3
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

That's true for econ-related gigs for sure. Most government jobs want an MA, for example.

That said, a lot of the jobs I see are open to candidates with either a commerce or economics degree -- the ones that want commerce tend to be accounting/finance related jobs. I've also seen some analyst jobs that want candidates from quantitative disciplines like econ.

If your grades are good and you could see yourself going for a masters (and you like econ, lol) then I'd say go for econ. If you're interested in law school, do econ (it'll help you with the LSAT). If you want to just do an undergrad, stick with commerce.

McDonalds says thanks to Kudos for this post.
Old 06-03-2014 at 06:34 PM   #4
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

with commerce you can focus in a field and move into getting a designation or do and MBA. not really sure what you could do with undergrad econ alone, as mentioned earlier.
im going into 4th year commerce, feel free to message me any questions

McDonalds says thanks to shreebee for this post.
Old 06-03-2014 at 09:42 PM   #5
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Unless you are really good at Econ (having good grades and can perform well with analytical skills to work in Government/Banks/as an analyst) then you sort of have a dead end with Econ Major as supply of Econ grads>demand from the already limited Econ fields. In Commerce, even if you are half decent, you can still work in many fields as there are many commerce related jobs.

McDonalds says thanks to allanandthera for this post.