MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is economics 4th year courses necessary to minor in economics? lululand Academics 3 09-06-2010 11:36 PM
Economics Minor? natashapoly General Discussion 4 05-04-2009 10:31 PM
Economics troth First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 05-29-2008 04:33 PM

economics as electives

Old 07-25-2008 at 07:48 AM   #1
rohit20890

Liked: 0 Times

economics as electives
Hello everyone,

I will be joining McMaster Univ in sept 2008 for engineering I co-op program for which i have registered my courses. I have taken economics as my electives for both the semesters as i have studied economics in my high school...... can anyone suggest me that will economics help me in my future or not???
Old 07-25-2008 at 08:54 AM   #2
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

If you are considering to take management at all, you have to take ECON 1B03. I found that course to be a really easy elective and have not taken 1BB3.
Old 07-25-2008 at 11:07 AM   #3
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times

Hey there, I'm in commerce *gasp!* and have taken three econ classes, First year Micro and Macro, and second year Micro. All of which were compulsory. If you're looking at biz mngmnet, like JBeans said, econ is a must. My personal stance on econ though:

Unlike math, where there's a point to the calculations you're doing, econ is primarily theory based, and a variable that means something in one spot means something COMPLETELY different in another. My roommate was an engineer and he sailed through 1B03 because on the math side of things, compared to calc its a joke.

In my Macro and Micro I never went to a single class apart from the first one and ended up with a B+ in boh. And put veeeery littlr effort. So if you work even the tiniest bit you'll have a lot of success I think.

If you have any specific course questions on either 1B03 or 1BB3 (or even 2X03!) just ask away.

J-Met says thanks to McMaxwell for this post.

luna likes this.
Old 08-01-2008 at 01:16 AM   #4
mak at mac

Liked: 0 Times

I'm an incoming first year business student and i was wondering why exactly they split macro and micro? Is it that hard or is this just not to confuse people?
Also, from my experience macro had more formulas whereas micro stayed pretty far away from numbers, is that correct? Thanks in advance
Old 08-01-2008 at 12:23 PM   #5
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times

My persoal opinion Mak is the opposite. I found Micro to have all the formulas and macro to be much more theoretical. For instance in Micro tests I would use the scrap paper for calculations etc. and in macro i'd use the corner of a page maybe twice? Of course this could be a one off, simply a difference between the profs I had and the teachers you had and your experience could differ..

As for the decision to split them, not sure why they do. Two different perspectives...but honestly a lot of overlapping material. most of the beginning of macro was the same as the start of micro...eventually they become radically different though, talking about the entire money supply of the economy versus the specific decisions one firm will make in just one of its factories. Since I took 2nd year econ as well, I can tell you that the further you progress in each of the respective econs the more they differe from one another.