MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Question.. staceykinz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 06-30-2010 12:36 PM
Quick Question Gil76 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 05-01-2010 08:53 PM
Quick Question Kat04 Residence & Housing 2 11-11-2009 09:19 PM
Quick Question ThatGuy Academics 8 07-13-2009 02:02 PM
Quick question LBJ.MVP Academics 8 06-28-2009 09:19 PM

For Economics Majors: Quick Question

Old 06-30-2009 at 11:14 AM   #1
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

For Economics Majors: Quick Question
Edit: Question Null and Void

New question at the bottom of the thread!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 06-30-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:33 AM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1681.html

18 units Levels II, III, IV Economics with no more than six units from ECON 2A03, 2C03, 2D03, 2E03, 2F03, 2I03, 2J03, 2N03, 2P03, 2T03My question being what exactly happens if I take more then 6 courses from this list? I think it is rather unfair that one is not allowed to explore our options since all of these courses cover different aspects of Economics and someone having done just 1b03/1bb3 would not be able to evaluate which direction he wants to take based simply on those first year courses! Like Labour, Sports, Environment, Finance are all different sectors!?
Has any Econ Major tried taking more then 6?
I don't believe it ends up counting towards your degree.
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:46 AM   #3
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Yeah the extra units will just count as an elective.
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:53 AM   #4
huzaifa47

Quote:
Originally Posted by callender View Post
Yeah the extra units will just count as an elective.
lol yeah I just facedesked a few minutes after leaving my laptop and thinking about how silly a question this was!

Old 06-30-2009 at 01:02 PM   #5
huzaifa47

Alrighty an extension for this question... Does anyone know what the securities institute is and knows what kind of skills and requirements are required for it?
example: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...08/sec_788.htm
The 2008 Course Calendar for Econ says
  1. Students who complete ECON 2I03 are well placed to enrol in the Canadian Securities Course (a correspondence course operated by the Canadian Securities Institute which represents the licensing requirement for individuals training to become investment advisors).
What's this all about? I know its about mutual funds and stocks and bonds. But upon getting it is an econ graduate with that certification thrown in at the bottom of the trading pit or are there proper reliable long term job prospects?

Old 06-30-2009 at 01:51 PM   #6
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

At every school there is a course to help introduce the subject matter of the CSC, and at Mac its Econ 2I03.

Easyyyyy course though.

huzaifa47 says thanks to deadpool for this post.
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:05 PM   #7
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Omg Rohan, youre the first person that I've heard say that it's easy bahaha.
Do you remember who your prof was? My friends had someone called..Rushleau or something?

Old 07-01-2009 at 03:58 PM   #8
gmon

Liked: 0 Times

The CSC is sort of like the introductory course for the securities industry. It is your license to sell mutual funds to the general public, and an essential qualification in order to be able to order securities trades on behalf of someone else. If you are looking for a job in the securities industry, more specifically in the area of trading or sales, you'll need the CSC (though I've heard some employers will still hire you and give you like 3 months to get it if you don't)

There are 2 exams. and the topics include, regulations, macroeconomics, stocks, bonds, derivatives, markets, accounting, company analysis, portfolio theory, managed funds, taxation, and ethics.

The finance/financial economics, financial accounting, and macroeconomics courses offered at Mac cover portions of the material in the CSC, but not all of it. I think you really need to read the text before writing the exam, because much of the material is applied in nature (rather than academic or theoretical) so it's not really the kind of stuff they normally focus on in university.

One important not is that it costs something like $900 to enroll in the course (almost 2 university courses), so although the volume of material is probably about equivalent to 2 McMaster courses (you are getting your money's worth), its still pretty pricey for a student. I've also heard some employers will pay for it if you choose to enroll while working for them.

So basically yes, there are job prospects, and the CSC is a good course to take for anyone who wants to understand markets better, or get a job in them.

huzaifa47 says thanks to gmon for this post.