MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electives!!! shadfan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 22 06-30-2011 01:32 PM
Electives MirandaC Academics 4 05-08-2011 12:13 PM
GPA and Electives ninjamachete First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 12-07-2010 03:29 PM
Help with Electives precious Academics 6 12-25-2009 07:11 AM
Which electives did you want? mcinside Academics 543 09-14-2009 05:34 PM

Electives

Old 08-16-2011 at 07:56 PM   #1
Katydid

Liked: 0 Times

Electives
I was wondering if there were any rules involving the number of electives in each term. Am I allowed to have 2 electives in the same term? And if not do you need to have 5 courses in each term or can you have 4 courses in one and 6 in another?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-16-2011 at 08:04 PM   #2
dsalvatore

Liked: 67 Times

Since you're a first year med rad, you would need one elective in first term and one in second term (or one 6 credit course like French 1Z06 or Soc 1A06 that spans both terms).

You can definitely have 4 courses in one term and 6 in the other, but I would advise against it. Your workload will be very heavy with 6 courses, especially in med rad, and you have to keep in mind that you not only need to make the cut-off for second year but maintain a pretty decent average if you want to enter your stream of choice for second year.
Old 08-16-2011 at 08:59 PM   #3
Katydid

Ok if you don't mind I have another question for you. The core for my math class was recently changed so I've been rearranging my whole schedule. As of right now I have 5 courses in my second term that can't be moved to first term. I then have 3 courses in my first term and I have to pick two electives. Where would you put those electives?
Old 08-16-2011 at 09:03 PM   #4
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

You would put those electives in first term for sure. You DO NOT want to overload especially as a first year and I believe you would need permission to do this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 09:05 PM   #5
dsalvatore

Liked: 67 Times

Ohh I see...I thought your schedule was arranged differently, sorry! In that case you're better off taking two first semester electives! If you can't get into more than one first semester elective then you can add the other one onto second semester because you're required to have 30 units to qualify for second year! So keep trying to get into two first semester ones! Good luck!
Old 08-16-2011 at 09:08 PM   #6
Katydid

Ok thanks! I really appreciate all the help.
Old 09-08-2011 at 12:09 AM   #7
stella21

agrred with what was said above, you don't want to overload as a first year