MacInsiders Logo

@$#@* Elm

Old 01-10-2010 at 05:19 PM   #1
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

@$#@* Elm
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has this problem

When I try to get on elm (especially in the evening) it takes forever to log in, and then when I click on my class, it sends me back to the login page....
Old 01-10-2010 at 05:27 PM   #2
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimak View Post
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has this problem

When I try to get on elm (especially in the evening) it takes forever to log in, and then when I click on my class, it sends me back to the login page....
Nope. Hasn't happened to me yet....although ELM does get slower in the evenings.
Old 01-10-2010 at 05:34 PM   #3
salimak

Oh okay, such a fail. I just realized someone switched the computer I was on to google chrome, which isn't supported.
So while it is slow, it now working
Old 01-10-2010 at 06:00 PM   #4
mtam

Liked: 4 Times

It's v. slow. Is this something that we have to live with or can it be fixed? My friend in the UK uses B'board and doesn't have this problem. What do other Canadian schools use?
Old 01-10-2010 at 06:01 PM   #5
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

For me it only loads the ELM banner at the top and then the rest is all blank and it says its done loading.
Old 01-10-2010 at 06:15 PM   #6
salimak

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline54 View Post
For me it only loads the ELM banner at the top and then the rest is all blank and it says its done loading.
Check your browser, beucase mine was doing that too...It could also be that its just still loading/epic slow
Old 01-10-2010 at 07:09 PM   #7
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

I think it's just slow. It took me about 20 minutes to get to a couple sections of information on two different courses - it *should* take 2 minutes, regardless of the browser.
Old 01-10-2010 at 08:03 PM   #8
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

I miss webCT!

ELM sucks big time!

discussion forums are so annoying to look through...
courses are so unorganized....
list just goes on...

i agree with you!

Moo!io likes this.
Old 01-10-2010 at 08:10 PM   #9
salimak

I want to know the real reason the switched to ELM, all we've been getting is promises of it getting better, and that has NOT happened. I don't remember ever having to go through an hour of frustration waiting to print course notes with WEBCT ...

sky_xox likes this.
Old 01-10-2010 at 08:12 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Oh okay, such a fail. I just realized someone switched the computer I was on to google chrome, which isn't supported.
So while it is slow, it now working
Weird, I always use google chrome for ELM and I haven't had such problems.
Old 01-10-2010 at 08:20 PM   #11
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
I want to know the real reason the switched to ELM, all we've been getting is promises of it getting better, and that has NOT happened. I don't remember ever having to go through an hour of frustration waiting to print course notes with WEBCT ...
Well Mac switched cuz it was kinda 'forced' onto us by the blackboard ppl ... cuz they wanted to introduce this new system.

Has so many bugs for sure ... but I guess we're the guinea pigs who its being tested on. So I guess patience is the only virtue we can turn to

so till ELM loads ... go watch TV or something ? or complete those notes u've been wanting to for a while ? or just read a good book ? =P

Old 01-10-2010 at 09:58 PM   #12
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline54 View Post
Mine does that too. Sometimes it works, sometimes it loads part way.
Old 01-10-2010 at 10:29 PM   #13
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

The problem isn't finding something else to do while waiting for it to load - for me anyway, the problem is remembering something that may or may not need to be completed tonight (e.g., some sort of pre-lab or pre-lab quiz) and saying, hey, let me check right now. But then you have to wait a full 15-20 minutes before your refreshing/waiting/whatever lets ELM load up so you can see when something is due or whatnot.

Yeah, I'm not literally sitting there the whole time, but it would be nice if I could just do my stuff on ELM and leave, especially when I have 3 or 4 classes to check out on ELM - that would take forever.
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:52 AM   #14
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

This is laughable. I friggin' hate ELM, thank god only 1 of my classes is using it this semester but even still that's one too many.

Why can't all Profs just use Moodle? I so wish they did, most of mine do but its just so, so, so much better than ELM and on top of that it's open-source as opposed to Blackboard.

ELM is such a piece of crap. I've been sitting here for like 20 minutes and I still haven't been able to get into my course section yet in either Firefox or IE.
Old 01-11-2010 at 10:53 AM   #15
Sideout

Liked: 6 Times

ALL of my courses are on ELM :(