MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Design 1C03 Ownaginatios 1st Year Course Reviews 27 04-23-2013 11:35 AM
First Year Engineering: 1P03, 1C03 and 1D04. ruffy General Discussion 7 07-08-2009 06:00 PM
Engineering 1C03 questions kenvin100 Academics 4 01-07-2009 03:02 PM

Engineering 1C03

Old 07-04-2010 at 01:20 AM   #1
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Engineering 1C03
I cant draw for sh!t and i cant register for 1p03 for headstart.

Do you recommended me doing this course this summer if it doesnt affect my gpa? Or should i stick through it because even if you stuck, its a gpa booster? (How many people actually think it is a booster?)

I have to call and beg to let me in tomorrow ( Mon July 5) so if anyone can help me out asap. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2010 at 01:27 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
I cant draw for sh!t and i cant register for 1p03 for headstart.

Do you recommended me doing this course this summer if it doesnt affect my gpa? Or should i stick through it because even if you stuck, its a gpa booster? (How many people actually think it is a booster?)

I have to call and beg to let me in tomorrow ( Mon July 5) so if anyone can help me out asap. Thanks!
It will affect your McMaster GPA if you take the course at McMaster, it doesn't matter when you take it. If you take it at another university it will still affect your university career GPA (shouldn't matter for engineers) but your McMaster GPA won't be affected.
Old 07-04-2010 at 01:33 AM   #3
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

I'm a very messy drawer and I still managed to kill that course (in a good way). The drawing consists of mainly sketching shapes. I would say the hardest part about the sketching portion of this course( midterm, exam, tutorials) is seeing perspectives. What i mean is, you'll get different 2d views and be asked to draw a 3d isometric of the shape, or you'll be asked to draw various faces of a 3d shape, rotating and flipping the picture in your head and drawing.

As for artistic..ness?? Rulers are not allowed, the course isn't like a pro drafting course, its designed so that you can sketch ideas efficiently, really nothing to be worried about at all.

I'd say its the one course in first year eng you dont have to worry about, but not everyones the same, thats just my 2cents.

As for how many think its a gpa booster: everyone I know, also when checking my marks the course average's were extremely high compared to every other course.

Hope that helps!

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 07-04-2010 at 01:38 AM   #4
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

From the website
Quote:
Please note: An advanced transfer credit will reduce the first year course load by one course but does not award a grade for the course. Generally, students in first year engineering take 37 units of courses but Headstart graduates have the option to enroll in only 31. Please keep in mind that the Headstart courses will not count towards the students’ sessional average for admission to second year, simply because they are being taken in the summer. This rule is universal throughout McMaster, and does not only apply to Headstart courses.
So it will affect my GPa but not my sessional GPA for second year?
Old 07-04-2010 at 03:01 AM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
From the website

So it will affect my GPa but not my sessional GPA for second year?
It won't be used in the calculation using GPAs for when they decide if you're good enough for a particular program you apply for (your 'stream': ie, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, computers, etc).

I found this course to be VERY easy, and the only chalenging bit was being able to visualize the perspective. A lot of students did very poorly in this course though; its all a matter of either having a natural talent or doing the practice shapes from the 'textbook' or not. I worked through pretty much every problem in every chapter for 'fun' though
Old 07-04-2010 at 08:25 AM   #6
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

If you suck at art, like I did, get very good at the computer aspect of it. I found SolidEdge (or whatever you guys are using now) ridiculously easy to be good at, and brought me up to a 9 in the course, even though I thoroughly failed my exam.
Old 08-05-2010 at 12:57 PM   #7
amitoj

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolean View Post
I'm a very messy drawer and I still managed to kill that course (in a good way). The drawing consists of mainly sketching shapes. I would say the hardest part about the sketching portion of this course( midterm, exam, tutorials) is seeing perspectives. What i mean is, you'll get different 2d views and be asked to draw a 3d isometric of the shape, or you'll be asked to draw various faces of a 3d shape, rotating and flipping the picture in your head and drawing.

As for artistic..ness?? Rulers are not allowed, the course isn't like a pro drafting course, its designed so that you can sketch ideas efficiently, really nothing to be worried about at all.

I'd say its the one course in first year eng you dont have to worry about, but not everyones the same, thats just my 2cents.

As for how many think its a gpa booster: everyone I know, also when checking my marks the course average's were extremely high compared to every other course.

Hope that helps!

Who was your prof? Also, do you recommend buying the text book?
Old 08-05-2010 at 12:59 PM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

You need the book for the tutorials, for assignments & hmwk stuff they ask you to do.

the solid edge v20 book, i didnt even know it existed :p
Old 08-05-2010 at 02:20 PM   #9
HaXoRZ

Liked: 4 Times

dont worry i'm also horrible at anything art related but I actually found the hand sketching stuff pretty easy and the solid edge component is also pretty easy once you get a handle on it
Old 08-07-2010 at 09:26 AM   #10
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Still don't know why my circles look like rectangles...