MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kin 4B03 mitch 4th Year Course Reviews 2 12-27-2013 01:23 AM
Is economics 4th year courses necessary to minor in economics? lululand Academics 3 09-06-2010 11:36 PM
Anthro 4B03 lorend 4th Year Course Reviews 2 06-17-2010 04:12 PM

Engineering Economics 4B03?

Old 04-05-2010 at 02:49 PM   #1
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Engineering Economics 4B03?
Are there any upper year engineers who have taken this course? I was surprised that there were no course reviews for it, considering it's not exactly optional.

I've heard the horror stories; that a ridiculous number of people fail this course/take it over the summer or at another university because it's brutal during the school year.

Does anyone have any feedback?
Would you say the workload is comparable to a typical Eng course?
Would you recommend taking it over the summer if possible? (The only reason I'm reluctant to do that is because I hate taking more than one class over the summer).
Does the prof expect a basic knowledge of econ already (I've never taken an Econ course in my life)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-05-2010 at 03:39 PM   #2
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I'm taking it as a summer course this years due to
a) Siva's general brutality
b) lightening my final year course load

Summer courses are generally a bit easier... I've heard good things about taking this one ahead (you also have another chance before you graduate in case you fail!)
Old 04-06-2010 at 12:06 AM   #3
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

looking at the course description it looks more like an accounting course than economics
Old 04-06-2010 at 12:35 AM   #4
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
looking at the course description it looks more like an accounting course than economics
Haha, I have no experience whatsoever in either field which is why I'm scared for this class. I've avoided all business-y subjects like the plague since high school.
Old 04-06-2010 at 07:18 AM   #5

Liked: 31 Times

Engineering economics is more about cash flows, etc. Not your traditional theory based micro and macro economics that a lot of people think of when they hear economics. Engineering economics is one of the most practically useful courses you can take and i'm suprised its a fourth year course (unless they just wanted to lighten everyone's load in 4th year) since its pretty straightforward compared to most eng. courses. when I took it, people either did really really good (12's) or really really bad, so maybe it just depends on whether you are someone who gets it or not. Just put a little time into practice problems (since they are mostly word problems and how you are expected to approach it can sometimes be unclear) and i'm sure you will do fine.