MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Physics yet again jntyrhds Academics 0 07-03-2010 05:51 PM
Astrophysics? Medical Physics? Honours Physics? Engineering? Which to choose? tammy37 Academics 9 05-14-2009 02:11 AM
engineering vs. physics DeeNos Academics 6 11-17-2008 02:08 AM
Engineering Physics DeeNos Academics 1 10-16-2008 06:29 AM

Engineering PHysics = GEt out your cyanide!!

Old 01-16-2011 at 08:44 PM   #1
jntyrhds

Liked: 1 Time

Engineering PHysics = GEt out your cyanide!!
Hey guys,
umm...so im a first year eng student and i was interested in applying for the Eng. Physics program probably in the nuclear stream. Now, ive heard a lot of hearsay from my friends that the program is close to impossible and that only the geniuses with CGPA's of 12 apply for it. so its best to stay outta it unless you're a genius basically.
Is it true that it's THAT tough? I basically want to go into the nuclear side of things cuz that's what im interested in but if what my friends are saying is true, then maybe i should stay away from the program.
Are their any ENg. Physics students out there who can tell me a it more about it?
Thanks
Old 01-16-2011 at 08:48 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I don't know any people on the forums in eng phys (I don't think). I heard its not so bad, and the program is just small because of the rumors about it being hard..
Old 01-16-2011 at 09:03 PM   #3
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Alot of eng phys students are in some of my classes and there is no way they get 8's let alone 12's

Ok bring on the pain
Old 01-16-2011 at 09:27 PM   #4
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntyrhds View Post
Hey guys,
umm...so im a first year eng student and i was interested in applying for the Eng. Physics program probably in the nuclear stream. Now, ive heard a lot of hearsay from my friends that the program is close to impossible and that only the geniuses with CGPA's of 12 apply for it. so its best to stay outta it unless you're a genius basically.
Is it true that it's THAT tough? I basically want to go into the nuclear side of things cuz that's what im interested in but if what my friends are saying is true, then maybe i should stay away from the program.
Are their any ENg. Physics students out there who can tell me a it more about it?
Thanks
Sigh. Eng Phys seriously needs to work on building a better rep with first years.

I definitely wasn't a "crazy genius" in first year. Far from it, I actually got pretty crummy grades. I definitely wouldn't call myself a genius now either but improved study habits and much more interest in my courses have significantly improved my GPA. I've found throughout university that doing well is more a matter of hard work than any sort of inherent brilliance.

My two cents? Find what you love doing and do it, whether that's eng phys or something completely different. I know thats cheesy, but I think the reason that so many people do so badly in first year is because the courses seem so irrelevant and don't convey any actual knowledge or skills.

What else would you like to know about the program? I'm in the interdisciplinary stream, so I've taken some nuclear courses and I can try to answer questions

Thagsana.R likes this.
Old 01-16-2011 at 09:29 PM   #5
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Open houses for each of the streams should be starting up in the next couple of weeks. So instead of listening to what other people say, I would suggest going to those and getting your questions answered. Also talk to some upper years in the program. They'll have some direction knowledge, rather than the "I heard from this guy who knows this guy" kind of information.

If its what you're really interested in, then you shouldn't listen to rumors
Old 01-16-2011 at 09:46 PM   #6
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

I did my MASc in Engineering Physics (the optics side though) and you certainly don't need to be a genius to get into the undergraduate program. Most the of the "rep" around Engineering Physics programs (not just at McMaster) seems to stem from the fact that many first year engineering students find physics hard and thus associate all of engineering physics with their first year experience. That's really not an accurate portrayal at all. Certainly if you're above average to well above average in your marks, I don't think you should fear going into any option.
Old 01-16-2011 at 09:52 PM   #7
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

You guys are so smart D:

Id probably fail eng phys in a week.
Old 01-16-2011 at 09:57 PM   #8
Nort

Liked: 18 Times

My friend is second year Eng Phys, with the hope of going into Nuclear. He doesn't put himself into the genius category, works hard and achieves good grades by the standards of any branch of engineering at this school. He got in with a 9 or 8 decimal something, but also commented that others in his year got in with much lower grades. The better your grades are going in, most likely the better you will fair providing your love of physics is very strong.

Don't listen to your friends about this. You may pass up something you are perfectly capable of doing just because you listened to them while they parroted misconceptions they've heard about a certain program. Also the stuff you learn is cool and mind expanding (hearsay).
Old 01-16-2011 at 10:10 PM   #9
Eximious

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Sigh. Eng Phys seriously needs to work on building a better rep with first years.

I definitely wasn't a "crazy genius" in first year. Far from it, I actually got pretty crummy grades. I definitely wouldn't call myself a genius now either but improved study habits and much more interest in my courses have significantly improved my GPA. I've found throughout university that doing well is more a matter of hard work than any sort of inherent brilliance.

My two cents? Find what you love doing and do it, whether that's eng phys or something completely different. I know thats cheesy, but I think the reason that so many people do so badly in first year is because the courses seem so irrelevant and don't convey any actual knowledge or skills.

What else would you like to know about the program? I'm in the interdisciplinary stream, so I've taken some nuclear courses and I can try to answer questions
Oh common Sneha, your version of a bad mark is anything below a 10...

Eng Phys is not really so hard, it's just not very likable. If you don't like the material, you will want to transfer out quite fast. That is not to say you will not have to traverse your way through material that will bore you to death.

Just check out the Eng Phys intro night, you'll better know what you're getting yourself into.

Oh and remember if you choose Eng Phys, the bell curve is your friend. Beat the average and you're golden
Old 01-16-2011 at 10:33 PM   #10
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eximious View Post
Oh common Sneha, your version of a bad mark is anything below a 10...

Eng Phys is not really so hard, it's just not very likable. If you don't like the material, you will want to transfer out quite fast. That is not to say you will not have to traverse your way through material that will bore you to death.

Just check out the Eng Phys intro night, you'll better know what you're getting yourself into.

Oh and remember if you choose Eng Phys, the bell curve is your friend. Beat the average and you're golden
Hahaha, trust me Mike, I was NOT like that in first year. I was perfectly happy with anything over a 4.

That kind of re-iterates my point though. You (general you) tend to work harder at things you're interested in, and for the most part, Eng Phys interests me. I won't deny there are definitely courses that bore me to death and aren't very likeable at all (*cough* 3ES3 *cough*) but they're the minority for me.

And I love the bell curve comment! Its definitely been responsible for some mathematically impossible grades...
Old 01-16-2011 at 10:59 PM   #11
Eximious

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Hahaha, trust me Mike, I was NOT like that in first year. I was perfectly happy with anything over a 4.
You're now my newest hero!

Quote:
I won't deny there are definitely courses that bore me to death and aren't very likeable at all (*cough* 3ES3 *cough*) but they're the minority for me.
You chose 3ES3 yourself, so it was your own fault. 3MD3 is much better, Kleiman is the man!

Geek likes this.
Old 01-16-2011 at 11:01 PM   #12
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

I know a few people in eng phys and they love the program. As long as your good at math and like what your doing you should be fine.
Old 01-16-2011 at 11:17 PM   #13
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

doesnt sound like the program for me. good at math? maybe im ok. Good at phys? hell no i got an F LOL. why am i in eng
Old 01-17-2011 at 12:19 AM   #14
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Eng Phys is where it's at.

And this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechatronics
Old 01-17-2011 at 12:57 PM   #15
jntyrhds

Liked: 1 Time

HEY, thanks for the replies. Appreciate it.
I feel a bit more at ease knowing that it's not impossible
HOw about career-wise. I mean, ive been to ECCS and asked them about the career prospects for an ENg. Physics student and they said they'd be plentiful jobs out there and gave me a friggin' brochure of all the companies interested in hiring. I got the feeling that they werent quite in-tune to what i was expecting to hear. I ask this question because i know that there might be jobs out there for someone with a Bsc. in nuclear engineering but ive never heard of someone wanting to hire an "ENgineering PHysics major specialiing in nuclear energy stream."
Ideas?