MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Physics yet again jntyrhds Academics 0 07-03-2010 05:51 PM
Astrophysics? Medical Physics? Honours Physics? Engineering? Which to choose? tammy37 Academics 9 05-14-2009 02:11 AM
engineering vs. physics DeeNos Academics 6 11-17-2008 02:08 AM
Engineering Physics DeeNos Academics 1 10-16-2008 06:29 AM

Engineering PHysics = GEt out your cyanide!!

Old 01-17-2011 at 02:17 PM   #16
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

Eng phys is definitely not an impossible program, and since it is so unpopular they let in almost anyone with over a 4 average (at least in past years). As a result there are quite a few people there with lower averages, but so far we have very few drop outs. What everyone in first year should keep in mind is that while it is about physics, it will not likely be physics the way they imagined it. Eng phys will deal a lot more with the physics learned in 1E03 than in 1D03, plus new material dealing with quantum mechanics and semiconductors and such.
Old 01-17-2011 at 04:03 PM   #17
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Yup. Eng physics basically goes very indepth on development of things like semiconductors (and diodes and such i assume?) where as us in Electrical focus on how to use those components. Also, alot of 1E03 is learnt in electrical in courses like 2FH3 and 3FK4 (electromagnetics 1 and 2) and the multitude of circuit analysis courses that follow.
Old 01-17-2011 at 06:57 PM   #18
Ryan V

Liked: 8 Times

I got into eng phys with a average in first year a little over 9. The program is a lot of work and generally your marks will drop a bunch of grade points compared to first year, but it certainly is not impossible.
Old 01-17-2011 at 08:56 PM   #19
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
What else would you like to know about the program? I'm in the interdisciplinary stream, so I've taken some nuclear courses and I can try to answer questions
I like Physics, and I am fascinated by Quantum Mechanics. The mystery behind it is so thrilling, from tunneling to superposition to duality.

However, I do not know if I want to specialize in Photonics, nuclear or any other sub discipline.

I would also like to participate in the design of androids in some way, so I thought about Mechatronics or Electrical Engineering.

But I have heard that some graduates work in a different engineering field than what their undergrad career was based on. Is this possible ?

Do you know any tests I could take to determinate what kind of sub discipline would be best for me. I know I am not going into Software, Civil, Chemical and Materials. Mechanical is a so so so, and Mechatron is for third years.. So I guess I am left with Electrical and Engineering Physics.
Old 01-17-2011 at 09:04 PM   #20
Eximious

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
I like Physics, and I am fascinated by Quantum Mechanics. The mystery behind it is so thrilling, from tunneling to superposition to duality.

However, I do not know if I want to specialize in Photonics, nuclear or any other sub discipline.

I would also like to participate in the design of androids in some way, so I thought about Mechatronics or Electrical Engineering.

But I have heard that some graduates work in a different engineering field than what their undergrad career was based on. Is this possible ?

Do you know any tests I could take to determinate what kind of sub discipline would be best for me. I know I am not going into Software, Civil, Chemical and Materials. Mechanical is a so so so, and Mechatron is for third years.. So I guess I am left with Electrical and Engineering Physics.
One key thing that you might be interested in, even though Eng Phys is about physics in general, you will be doing a lot of what you do in materials from first year. Like the silicon crystal lattice, band gap, and whatnot for semiconductor materials.

Also in Eng Phys we do a lot of circuit and electronics stuff. There are courses teaching you uses and properties of circuit components. So maybe your dream of designing androids (which will kill us all) will also be achieved via Eng Phys. Also I got a buddy in tron, it seems like it is all programming.
Old 01-17-2011 at 09:21 PM   #21
LukeEngineer

Liked: 5 Times

I'm also trying to decide between Mechatronics and Eng Phys mainly, possibly electrical, software, or computer. I would want to study the advanced physics in engineering physics but I'm not so sure I would want to work in a physics based job if that makes sense. So I was wondering if I could later just go for a masters in mechatronics / electrical etc. and kinda of change my career path that way. Also are the profs good ? Interesting ?
Old 01-17-2011 at 09:40 PM   #22
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeEngineer View Post
I'm also trying to decide between Mechatronics and Eng Phys mainly, possibly electrical, software, or computer. I would want to study the advanced physics in engineering physics but I'm not so sure I would want to work in a physics based job if that makes sense. So I was wondering if I could later just go for a masters in mechatronics / electrical etc. and kinda of change my career path that way. Also are the profs good ? Interesting ?
I don't even know what you're asking. Master's are degrees given out at grad schools, not undergrad.. (?) You couldn't just jump in and do a master's 'later' after you have a degree in some other random discipline..
Old 01-17-2011 at 09:45 PM   #23
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I don't even know what you're asking. Master's are degrees given out at grad schools, not undergrad.. (?) You couldn't just jump in and do a master's 'later' after you have a degree in some other random discipline..
I've seen people who had diploma in math and did their phd or masters in eng.
Old 01-17-2011 at 09:55 PM   #24
LukeEngineer

Quote:
I know masters is grad and I heard that for eng phys masters you could have a computer / electrical / mechatronics undergrad but I'm wondering whether it works the other way but I have not been able to find any information on this if you could get into mechatronics / computer / electrical masters with an eng phy undergrad, I would assume so but not sure.
Old 01-17-2011 at 09:59 PM   #25
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post

In reply to the first part, it's definitely possible. I know of people who've gone to med school, worked in the nuclear industry, started graduate studies in the biomedical field, gone into business and many other things. This is in no way just related to Eng, but your undergrad degree doesn't necessarily define the rest of your career, it's sort of just a 'doorway' into a certain area. That's how I look at it anyway.

I don't know of any formal tests you take, but you don't have to pick a stream in Eng Phys. Lots of people pick the Interdisciplinary option, so you take courses from the Nuclear/Nano/Photonics streams and you can choose your technical electives according to which of those you have more of an interest in. I'm using my tech electives to take a buch of energy systems related courses, but its not hard to get courses from other Eng Departments approved as technical electives. It sort of allows you to 'focus' your Eng Phys degree without picking one of the existing streams. We'll see how well that works out when I graduate haha...
Old 01-17-2011 at 10:11 PM   #26
Maitland

Liked: 34 Times

It's great to see interest in Eng Phys. If you guys have questions feel free to message me (and I see Geek has offered her services as well) and I would be happy to answer them. I could also answer questions regarding the management option if and of you first years are looking at that route.
Old 01-17-2011 at 10:13 PM   #27
RyanC
Elite Member

What does cyanide have to do with eng physics? I still don't get this.
Old 01-17-2011 at 10:25 PM   #28
LukeEngineer

Is there/What course in eng phy do you get to see/use the mcmaster nuclear reactor ? Also what other kind of equipment do you get to use ? For the Nano- and Micro-Devices option/related courses do you get to build any Nano- and Micro-Devices ? For Photonics what do you get to do with Lasers ?
Old 01-17-2011 at 10:37 PM   #29
Thagsana.R

Liked: 3 Times

EngPhys.... *shudders*
Old 01-17-2011 at 10:45 PM   #30
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeEngineer View Post
Is there/What course in eng phy do you get to see/use the mcmaster nuclear reactor ? ...
Terrorist alert.

Thagsana.R likes this.