MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Physics yet again jntyrhds Academics 0 07-03-2010 05:51 PM
Astrophysics? Medical Physics? Honours Physics? Engineering? Which to choose? tammy37 Academics 9 05-14-2009 02:11 AM
engineering vs. physics DeeNos Academics 6 11-17-2008 02:08 AM
Engineering Physics DeeNos Academics 1 10-16-2008 06:29 AM

Engineering PHysics = GEt out your cyanide!!

Old 01-17-2011 at 10:46 PM   #31
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

ENG PHYS 4F03 ORGANIC SEMICONDUCTORS AND ADVANCED SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICES A quantitative treatment of JFET and MOSFET devices, silicon-based fabrication issues, scaling of today's nanoscale FET devices, and organic FET and OLED devices are discussed.

That sounds pretty excellent. Would be neat if it could be used as a technical elective.

Old 01-17-2011 at 10:51 PM   #32
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
ENG PHYS 4F03 ORGANIC SEMICONDUCTORS AND ADVANCED SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICES A quantitative treatment of JFET and MOSFET devices, silicon-based fabrication issues, scaling of today's nanoscale FET devices, and organic FET and OLED devices are discussed.

That sounds pretty excellent. Would be neat if it could be used as a technical elective.
Yuh, sounds pretty fun
Might diverge from my area of study though.. :/
Old 01-17-2011 at 10:55 PM   #33
eullwm
Elite Member

I saw you in the DocuCentre today. Hunting for DP lab access?

/creepy

Old 01-17-2011 at 10:56 PM   #34
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeEngineer View Post
Is there/What course in eng phy do you get to see/use the mcmaster nuclear reactor ?
It used to be 2S03 but I'm pretty sure they got rid of that class and replaced it with another Thermo course.

There's a fourth year class (4ES3, I think) that takes tours of various generating facilities... I'm pretty sure the whole course is just field trips and a report, so you'd get to see into the industrial sized reactors.

It's not hard to book a tour of the Mac Reactor if you want to look inside. It's pretty cool! I highly doubt they'd let untrained undergrads USE it though.
Old 01-17-2011 at 10:58 PM   #35
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
I saw you in the DocuCentre today. Hunting for DP lab access?

/creepy
Oooh, I thought I recognized you. Haha. Yes.
I don't have itb 153 access though :(

/creepy indeed
Old 01-17-2011 at 11:10 PM   #36
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeEngineer View Post
I know masters is grad and I heard that for eng phys masters you could have a computer / electrical / mechatronics undergrad but I'm wondering whether it works the other way but I have not been able to find any information on this if you could get into mechatronics / computer / electrical masters with an eng phy undergrad, I would assume so but not sure.
Generally speaking you could use your Engineering Physics undergrad to get into graduate research programs in physics, computer engineering, and electrical engineering pretty easily, you might find some extra requirements for some mechatronics programs. The most important criteria for getting into research programs tends to be your past research and your future research potential, not the title on your degree. As an example, I did my undergraduate degree in Engineering Science, my Master's in Engineering Physics and am now working on a Ph.D. in Physics. I had no problem getting into programs in these disciplines, but do have to take a couple of 4th year undergrad courses for my Ph.D. to fulfill the necessary prereqs for Physics.

A couple of other examples from my friends:
Undergrad -> Master's -> Ph.D.
Computer Engineering -> Computer Engineering -> Biomedical Engineering
Physics -> Eng Physics -> Physics
Mechanical -> Mechanical -> Electronics Engineering
Mechatronics -> Computer -> Electronics Engineering
Electrical -> Engineering Physics -> Engineering Physics
Mechanical Engineering -> Physics -> Physics

If you want to confirm a particular path, the best thing to do is talk to a professor in the graduate program you're interested in going to. Most of them will ask about your past research background and research interests, and then say your past degrees doesn't matter much (as long as they're physics / engineering).
Old 01-17-2011 at 11:12 PM   #37
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
It's not hard to book a tour of the Mac Reactor if you want to look inside. It's pretty cool! I highly doubt they'd let untrained undergrads USE it though.
Sidenote- Do you by any chance know how to book the tour to the MNR?
Old 01-17-2011 at 11:16 PM   #38
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
Generally speaking you could use your Engineering Physics undergrad to get into graduate research programs in physics, computer engineering, and electrical engineering pretty easily, you might find some extra requirements for some mechatronics programs. The most important criteria for getting into research programs tends to be your past research and your future research potential, not the title on your degree. As an example, I did my undergraduate degree in Engineering Science, my Master's in Engineering Physics and am now working on a Ph.D. in Physics. I had no problem getting into programs in these disciplines, but do have to take a couple of 4th year undergrad courses for my Ph.D. to fulfill the necessary prereqs for Physics.

A couple of other examples from my friends:
Undergrad -> Master's -> Ph.D.
Computer Engineering -> Computer Engineering -> Biomedical Engineering
Physics -> Eng Physics -> Physics
Mechanical -> Mechanical -> Electronics Engineering
Mechatronics -> Computer -> Electronics Engineering
Electrical -> Engineering Physics -> Engineering Physics
Mechanical Engineering -> Physics -> Physics

If you want to confirm a particular path, the best thing to do is talk to a professor in the graduate program you're interested in going to. Most of them will ask about your past research background and research interests, and then say your past degrees doesn't matter much (as long as they're physics / engineering).
I want to have some research experience, how do I get some if I am just an Undergrad ?
Old 01-17-2011 at 11:18 PM   #39
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Sidenote- Do you by any chance know how to book the tour to the MNR?
http://mnr.mcmaster.ca/index.php/ove...tor-tours.html

I just searched the Eng Phys site.

I know there's a sign in the front entrance of the Nuclear Research Building so I can check for you the next time I have a lab in there, if you want.
Old 01-17-2011 at 11:30 PM   #40
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
http://mnr.mcmaster.ca/index.php/ove...tor-tours.html

I just searched the Eng Phys site.

I know there's a sign in the front entrance of the Nuclear Research Building so I can check for you the next time I have a lab in there, if you want.
Yes please! If it's not too much trouble . I'm not exactly sure where the entrance is =/
Old 01-17-2011 at 11:45 PM   #41
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
I want to have some research experience, how do I get some if I am just an Undergrad ?
Many professors will hire a couple of undergraduate students every summer to work in their lab being supervised by the graduate students / post-docs there. While you shouldn't expect to "save the planet" during your first experience in a lab, there's plenty of work that doesn't require a whole lot of background. In most labs the graduate students act as mentors towards undergraduate students. In the lab I was in at McMaster (PRL), my supervisor would often pick a couple of students who had just finished their second year in engineering physics to work over the summer. Generally speaking, these students would have shown interest / potential in a class they took with him.

As a general rule, if you're a good student (B or better), show some interest and ability, you'll be able to find a lab to work in. In some cases you may find you have to volunteer rather than get paid. There are also federal funding programs (NSERC USRA) available which funding something $4500 of a $5600 award towards a undergraduate student doing research in a lab. Dozens of these awards are available at McMaster every year, so you should ask your department about them and the processes involved in applying.

Here's one example of how you might go about building a relationship with a prof:

Look at the professors' websites and biographies to find out what sort of things the professors do. If one of your professors does something that interests you, go by their office hour and ask them to explain their research. Many of them (although not all) will probably be very excited, talk your ear off and then give you a couple of recommendations of things to read. Read the stuff (you don't have to understand it all, if you got comprehend 20%, that's probably a good first attempt) and if you're still interested, go back and ask more questions about the papers they gave you. At some reasonable point ask if there's any way you could get involved in their research. Often there is, but sometimes there's not. If a research spot does't work out with the first prof you ask, try and try again.

Commander says thanks to dsahota for this post.
Old 01-18-2011 at 12:08 AM   #42
eullwm
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Oooh, I thought I recognized you. Haha. Yes.
I don't have itb 153 access though :(

/creepy indeed
Same. I'm going to Spencer tomorrow before the lab.

Also, CL lab section? I have 10.

Old 01-18-2011 at 03:35 PM   #43
jntyrhds

Liked: 1 Time

I know a lot of ENg Physics students who went on to get their masters degree in physics. However, what if you just want to look for a job right after you get your ENg. Physics bachelors? WHat are the job prospects on that? LIke, in the nuclear field? From what i've heard, the nuclear industry is pretty tumultuous here in Canada and they mainly require MEch. ENgineers. Ive been browsing through the careers section of the AECL website and i couldnt find any jobs for anything related to nuclear. This is kinda what really worries me. I dont even know if an ENgineering Physics degree is of value when it comes to job searching. NO offence, i mean it's great if you wanna go on to research and all but im not quite sure about otherwise.
Old 01-18-2011 at 03:43 PM   #44
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Same. I'm going to Spencer tomorrow before the lab.

Also, CL lab section? I have 10.
Seven. :(

Yes, job prospects in nuclear engineering are supposedly very very poor.
Old 01-18-2011 at 04:08 PM   #45
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Wait what?

Canada mainly require Mech. Eng? I thought we have a surplus?