MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
English 1CS3 J. Dorey 1st Year Course Reviews 2 06-20-2011 01:42 PM
CSCT 1CS3/English 1CS3 TheChocolate First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 02-15-2011 05:12 PM
English 1CS3 lizziepizzie Academics 5 09-20-2010 11:20 PM

English 1CS3

English 1CS3
Culture Studies
Published by lizziepizzie
08-29-2011
Published by
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

English 1CS3

I took this class in the fall of 2010 which Dr. Helene Strauss (who is no longer at McMaster, so I won't talk about her abilities as a professor).

I loved this class! One thing I liked so much was that the amount of material we covered was so broad. We spent some time going over literary criticl theorists but we mostly discussed more modern aspects of today's culture, such as the coffee debate of Starbuck's VS. Tim Horton's, and the music of Lady Gaga. There were guest lecturers every other week which kept the class exciting and put a new spin on material.

Obviously as an English class, your writing skills have to be pretty decent. One of the main focus of the class is essay skills, so the TAs spend time going through how to hone your writing skills through such aspects as essay planning, reviewing, and most importantly, how to attain that well-structured thesis that both makes a statement/argument and is debatable at the same time. They're not looking for your essay style to be perfect because it's only a 1st year class, but rather are there to help you build on the skills you already have.

Also, the essay topics are pretty broad. You don't read actual novels in this class so you're not expected to know any plots or themes. You can write on more traditional topics such as 19th century literary critic Matthew Arnold and Captial-C Culture and take a modern twist and write on iPhones.

I think this class is a great start for someone who enjoys essay writing but may not be entirely confident in their skills yet. But obviously, having some background in essay writing is an asset. If you enjoyed essay writing in hs and are open to learning a more structured essay form, then I see no reason as to why you won't do well or enjoy this course even if you choose it as an elective and don't plan on majoring in English.

Overall, it was a great class and I highly recommend others take it.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for English 1CS3!

Old 08-30-2011 at 04:31 AM   #2
mac-lover

Liked: 15 Times
What sorts of books were covered? I'm a science student but i love english and i miss it since high school, but im not sure if this is the right course to take compared to 1a03 , or both.
Old 09-01-2011 at 02:16 PM   #3
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times
There are no novels covered, just the textbook. This is not the kind of class where you dissect literary themes or characters, it's just about culture, society and society's expectations, and ultimately what happens when those expectations are ignored or not adhered to. Everything really interesting! I think, anyways.
Old 09-01-2011 at 09:59 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
There are no novels covered, just the textbook. This is not the kind of class where you dissect literary themes or characters, it's just about culture, society and society's expectations, and ultimately what happens when those expectations are ignored or not adhered to. Everything really interesting! I think, anyways.
Thanks! Good to know . I had the same question as well

Old 09-10-2011 at 07:57 PM   #5
alyssarr

Liked: 51 Times
May someone please tell me when the tutorials in this class begin? Sept 19th?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2012 at 09:22 PM   #6
monardo

Liked: 0 Times
Would this class be a better choice over English 1C06? I'm undecided on which one to take?
Old 06-18-2012 at 07:35 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monardo View Post
Would this class be a better choice over English 1C06? I'm undecided on which one to take?
I have a few friends who enjoyed 1cs3 a lot more than 1c06, especially when I asked them about what they recommend for an English elective.
Old 07-17-2012 at 11:45 AM   #8
kl9988

Liked: 3 Times
??
does anyone have any information about this course with Dean, A?
Old 07-30-2012 at 01:13 PM   #9
tavass

Liked: 0 Times
I would also really appreciate it if someone can comment on how the course was with Dr. Dean.
Old 07-31-2012 at 12:06 PM   #10
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times
Did everyone find that attending lecture was useful? Would I be okay just by reading the CCW and attending tutorials?
Old 07-31-2012 at 03:20 PM   #11
TheCrucible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Did everyone find that attending lecture was useful? Would I be okay just by reading the CCW and attending tutorials?
I haven't taken 1CS3, and I'm not sure if all English courses are similar in this way, but I would say that attending lecture is a must. I took 1AA3 in the Winter 2011 session with Dr. Brophy, and there was no way I would have done well in that course without the lectures, particularly when it came to the final exam.
Old 07-31-2012 at 06:32 PM   #12
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrucible View Post
I haven't taken 1CS3, and I'm not sure if all English courses are similar in this way, but I would say that attending lecture is a must. I took 1AA3 in the Winter 2011 session with Dr. Brophy, and there was no way I would have done well in that course without the lectures, particularly when it came to the final exam.

Ahhh, I will probably attend them then :(. Friday classes are a bit of a bummer.
Do you think you could tell me a bit about the exam? Was it an essay that we could prepare prior to the exam, or a bit of MC + short answers?
Old 07-31-2012 at 07:28 PM   #13
TheCrucible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Ahhh, I will probably attend them then :(. Friday classes are a bit of a bummer.
Do you think you could tell me a bit about the exam? Was it an essay that we could prepare prior to the exam, or a bit of MC + short answers?
My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I believe it was MCQ, short answer and long answer for Brophy's 1AA3. The short answer was writing responses to the questions asked, while the long answer was identifying and analyzing passages (there were multiple, but you only chose 2). Topics weren't given to you beforehand.

I didn't finish the exam (I blanked on some of the short answer questions, and I'm also a slow writer), but I still ended up doing well in the course.
Old 09-04-2012 at 04:53 PM   #14
Angoose
Elite Member

For Dr. Dean, would it be acceptable to use a courseware from previous years? We usually do the same readings right?
Old 12-12-2012 at 11:01 PM   #15
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times
CSCT/Eng 1CS3
CULTURAL STUDIES/ENGLISH 1CS3: STUDYING CULTURE: A CRITICAL INTRODUCTION

Course Outline

More Course Outlines for English and Cultural Studies Courses

While I found Dr. Dean a great professor, I did not enjoy this course. The content was not my cup of tea in the slightest, and the very poor TA I was saddled with just exacerbated matters.

There were two 50-minute lectures and one 50-minute tutorial a week.

ASSIGNMENTS

Weekly Reading Response Pages (10%)

These were each worth 1% of your final mark and were due every week in tutorial. You had to choose one of the week's readings (some of which were interesting, most of which were either irritating or boring) and state the thesis/overall argument, find three relevant quotations to support said thesis, and come up with two discussion questions. You could usually get away with doing these the night before, but make sure you put thought into them; after the first few the TA's started marking them much harder, and not giving out the 1% if they felt it was inadequate.

TIP: Utilize quotations in your discussion questions. This adds a feeling of authenticity, and makes it look as though you've done more work (which you probably have if you go to the trouble of putting quotations in them). Also, remember to put the correct page number in brackets after your quotations!

Short Critical Essay (15%)

We were given three or four topics to choose from and had to write a 500 word essay based on one; I chose to analyze a newspaper image. I found the research for the assignment intriguing, mainly because there was a lot of choice and so I could write about what interested me.

TIP: CHOOSE A TOPIC THAT INTERESTS YOU. This one essay is going to account for a lot of your time in this course, and if you choose a boring topic it will be torture.

Peer Review Workshop (5%)

This is simply bringing a copy of your short critical essay (after having handed it in) to your tutorial and having a peer read it, while you do the same for them. You have to fill out a comment sheet, which is then graded and counted for 5% of your mark.

TIP: Be honest in your critique.

Revised Short Critical Essay (20%)

Using your peer and TA comments, hand in a revised version of your first essay. With that said, you are also expected to make improvements yourself. The word count is upped to 800 this time around as well, so you have to add more information in.

TIP: You can't just hand in the same report twice, even if you got an A+ on the first one.

Culture Jamming Assignment (10%)

Create a "culture jam" and write a 250-word analysis about it. Alternatively, find an existing culture jam and write a 500-word report on it. While I appreciate the creativity of this assignment, it was completely pointless and marked badly.

TIP: It doesn't matter how good your cultural jam looks- I learned this the hard way. It's more about the idea and quality of your report.

Tutorial Participation (10%)

I don't know how my TA judged this, but just participate in the tutorials as much as you can and you should get most, if not all, of the 10%.

TIP: Don't be afraid of looking dumb- participate! It will help you learn, and your mark will increase as well. Win-win? I think so.

Final Exam (30%)

The first part of the exam was twenty multiple-choice questions. These were fairly straightforward; some were on readings, some were on guest speakers, etc. The second part was an essay where you are given three questions before the exam, told two will show up, and from those you will choose one to write about. You also have to draw on a minimum of four course readings in the essay. As long as you prepare beforehand, you should be fine here.

TIP: Only prepare for two questions (since two will show up and you are given three, there is no reason to study all three) and work out which readings you are going to use BEFORE the exam.

PROFESSOR

Dr. Dean was great; she was enthusiastic, excited, and always answered student's in-class questions. There were a lot of guest lecturers in this course as well, some of whom were good, and some of whom weren't (he guy who did a lecture on the G20 and how he was arrested, for example [seriously, it felt like a recruitment effort]).

My TA was Pamela Ingleton. To put it simply, I did not like her teaching style. She seems like a nice person, but she was also a very picky marker. Furthermore, she was awful when it came to e-mail replies: one week she wasn't in tutorial, so we had to e-mail her our weekly response pages. I did so, and was informed shortly after that I hadn't gotten the 1% for last week's. I asked why, and also why I hadn't been told this earlier so I could refine my approach for this week. She completely ignored the second part of my question, instead only telling me that, in essence, my response was terrible. I replied back saying okay, and asked a question about the culture jamming assignment. I never received a response.

She also gave out pop quizzes in tutorials (which counted for participation marks).

OVERALL

Apparently they have redone this course for next term, with an emphasis on pop culture. That sounds much more interesting than this version of the class. Dr. Dean was good, but the extremely biased (and in many cases, boring) content, along with my very picky TA, made this class barely bearable. I would not recommend it.

MilaKay says thanks to Frankenseuss for this post.

Angoose likes this.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search