MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extremely good English course electives now in Mac!! mcmastergcdb First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-22-2010 12:28 PM
Kinesiology: Science Electives Jellybeanz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-16-2010 04:58 PM
English course for a science student jordan18 Academics 16 06-14-2010 05:30 PM
Social Science electives deeO General Discussion 8 06-30-2009 01:56 PM
Social Science Electives Ruggedman Academics 11 07-03-2008 11:17 PM

English electives for science students: what not to take?

Old 04-26-2010 at 11:25 PM   #1
shreya s.

Liked: 0 Times

English electives for science students: what not to take?
I need to take English as a grad school requirement. I assume English 1A03 and 1AA3 are probably the only easier courses offered. However, the courses that seem the most interesting to me are: ENGLISH 2R03 (Monsters and magic), ENGLISH 3D03 (Science fiction), ENGLISH 3F03 (The fairy tale), and ENGLISH 3Y03 (Children's literature).
For someone who has not taken any university English and only managed mid 80's in high school English, would these courses be suicide? Or are they manageable? If they are, then in your experience, what kind of grades can one expect?
Old 04-27-2010 at 12:03 AM   #2
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreya s. View Post
I need to take English as a grad school requirement. I assume English 1A03 and 1AA3 are probably the only easier courses offered. However, the courses that seem the most interesting to me are: ENGLISH 2R03 (Monsters and magic), ENGLISH 3D03 (Science fiction), ENGLISH 3F03 (The fairy tale), and ENGLISH 3Y03 (Children's literature).
For someone who has not taken any university English and only managed mid 80's in high school English, would these courses be suicide? Or are they manageable? If they are, then in your experience, what kind of grades can one expect?
If you don’t feel like English is one of your strengths, I would suggest sticking with first-year English. Upper year courses have higher expectations, and often deal with more complicated material (although this isn’t always the case). You could always take a first year English course that you find interesting...I took English 1B03 this year and it was both easy and interesting.
Old 04-28-2010 at 08:21 PM   #3
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I've only taken the Shorter Genre English, but it was an absolute joke.

Granted, I am pretty good in it, but even looking at it as if I had average English skills, it was really easy. The exam asked things like "which of the following is a metaphor?"Check out the course reviews.

My friends (they're not as good in English as me) say the Longer Genre course is easy as well.

However, in terms of upper level, yes, there are higher expectations, so at least try the level I courses and see how you do. Let it be said that I have heard stories of third and fourth year professors having to explain whether an essay should be doubled spaced, etc.