MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extracurriculars & You lorend Getting Involved 0 09-21-2009 08:38 PM
McMaster Student Card = GO Transit Student ID (2009) goodnews.inc MacInsiders Announcements 10 09-01-2009 01:55 PM
Extracurriculars? niteskie General Discussion 7 07-22-2009 01:50 PM

Extracurriculars possible for an eng student?

Old 08-23-2011 at 07:55 AM   #1
ricechrispy

Liked: 9 Times

Extracurriculars possible for an eng student?
With a timetable like mine, is it possible to squeeze in a few extracurriculars? I'm pretty serious about marks and I have good working habits, but since it's just the first few months of university, should I be focusing mainly on school and marks?

In my opinion, I actually think I have a lot of time to join clubs and volunteer (I thought an eng timetable would look a lot worse), especially with 2 full weekend days. Which brings me to another question about weekends. Do most people actually just stay in their rooms for the majority of the day studying? What do people do on weekends? I go to church, but other than that, 12+ hours on Saturday and then another 8+ on Sunday is more than enough to get all my work done? I know those numbers are pretty exaggerated, but it seems like there's definitely still more than enough time to get all the studying out of the way and do a couple of extracurriculars...ri ght?

I wouldn't know, as I can't speak from experience
What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final term 1 timetable.jpg (180.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg final term 2 timetable.jpg (167.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-23-2011 at 10:41 AM   #2
jewfro9000

Liked: Liked 19 Times

yeah of course. Find some things you like to do outside of engineering and do them during the year. If you dont, you might go insane. Eng gets really busy really fast but we can have fun too
Old 08-23-2011 at 10:42 AM   #3
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

As long as you stay on top of your work you'll have no trouble. Matthews Hall is great for study groups because of your unique basement. Last year us Engineers used to gather in Matthews or Moulton's EMR (whiteboards galore) to do CAPA problems together.

As for extracurricular options, there's always the Eng Musical if you can sing, dance, act, or play an instrument. It's a very popular yearly event.

I joined up a musician club called MacBeat but I only had time to attend 3 sessions (it started late last year). You could also talk to any Maroon you see wandering around campus about what they do and see if you're interested.

The best way to learn what extracurriculars you can do is by attending Clubsfest during frosh week. All around the center of campus every society and club will have a table, information, reps, and a sign up sheet. Definitely go check er out.
Old 08-23-2011 at 10:47 AM   #4
inthemaking

Liked: 26 Times

Sure, one of my housemates is in civil eng and she has time for church, martial arts, going out etc.

During the day on weekends, I tend to do homework and catch up on tv since I do most of my going out/partying during weeknights (Wed/Thurs).
Old 08-23-2011 at 03:47 PM   #5
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I would just like to say that extra-curriculars are possible for every student
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

TheMist likes this.
Old 08-23-2011 at 05:15 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

You'll have time for extracurrculars when you're dead! The kind of attitudes expressed in this thread is why we don't have Skynet/Lazersharks/hoverboards/warpdrives guys...

(I wouldn't do more than 2 other-than-school things 1st year eng if youhave bad study habits)