Failing help jigga_man Academics 2 12-07-2011 06:15 PM
Failing an elective Nort Academics 4 12-11-2010 11:26 AM
What is a failing mark? Cassandraa87 Academics 4 01-10-2010 12:04 AM

Failing a Second Year Course

Old 12-16-2013 at 04:07 PM   #1
Schevene

Liked: 0 Times

Failing a Second Year Course
If I were to fail organic chemistry, which I'm somewhat certain I did bar a miracle, would it severely hurt my chances of getting into Canadian Grad Schools? I really don't want to have to retake that course...Its not even needed for my program and I'm looking at doing something Bio or Psych related in grad school, so I'm not sure how this would all play out.

I've heard that most Canadian Universities focus largely on your last two years, but that "most" is bugging me. I realize it'll affect my gpa, which is a terrible affect in itself, I'm just wondering how imperative to my grad school application it would be to attempt the failed course again.

Thanks for any words of advice!
Old 12-16-2013 at 05:02 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Re-taking it doesn't erase the fail...it will stay on your record whether you re-take the course or not.
There are so many different grad programs, and each program (even at the same school) has different requirements...I'd recommend looking at some that you're interested in to see how they look at failed courses.
Unless the course itself is a requirement for something, I don't think it will matter whether or not you re-take the course since the fail will still be there...but you should do the research and not just take my word for it
Old 12-16-2013 at 05:04 PM   #3
Schevene

Liked: 0 Times

Yeah that does make sense, super scary, but it makes a lot of sense. I'll try looking up some specific programs, and thanks so much for your advice, if anything else, its helped put my mind and heart at ease <3
Old 12-16-2013 at 09:28 PM   #4
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

Harrison? Stay safe.

Danielrus likes this.
Old 12-16-2013 at 10:56 PM   #5
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

A lot of grad schools will look mostly on your final 2 years if that helps!
Old 12-17-2013 at 09:25 AM   #6
VitaSoy

Liked: 9 Times

McMaster's grad school looks at your last 20 courses. Assuming you graduate in the expected 4 years, that should include your first term of 4th year, both terms in 3rd year, and your second term in 2nd year. I'm not sure how summer courses count or what order they count in.

You should be fine for botching up orgo (I did too), but start working hard next term!

Graduate scholarships like CGS-M (NSERC) require an A- average for 2 years when you apply (2nd and 3rd) so keep that in mind.

This is what I know from asking the grad office.