MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2nd year engineering cut-off ?? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-01-2012 07:38 PM
First Year Engineering usahockey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-05-2011 01:47 PM
first year engineering myInteger Academics 9 06-11-2009 01:23 PM
Should I take Co-op for engineering in my first year kenvin100 Academics 18 08-29-2008 10:22 PM

First Year Engineering Mac or PC

Old 07-10-2012 at 10:29 AM   #1
ncull

Liked: 0 Times

First Year Engineering Mac or PC
So I'm looking into buying my computer for next year (I'm going into Engineering). I currently am using a MacBook and would like to purchase another one to go away to school. However, I am worried about compatibility issues. I am aware of Parallels which allows you to run Windows programs alongside OSX but I don't know how user friendly is it or if it works for programs like AutoCAD which do not have a Mac version. Is there any other Engineers who have been successful with Parallels or similar software? Or would buying a PC be a safer option?
Old 07-10-2012 at 10:34 AM   #2
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

How old is your Macbook? Does it have bootcamp?

The new one let you run Windows Natively so it is at full speed. You don't need to use parallels and i highly suggest you dont use it for Autocad

I had to run 3 demanding programs in my program so far, Solidworks, Catia V5 and Autocad. They all ran better on my Macbook running windows then it did on some of the school computers sadly.

As long as you have bootcamp and dual boot into Windows youll be fine
Old 07-10-2012 at 10:39 AM   #3
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

PC! I dont see any students in eng classes pulling out a Mac. Everyone in my program uses PC, and that is electrical and computer eng, so i think we use our computers quite a lot;P
Old 07-10-2012 at 10:40 AM   #4
ncull

Liked: 0 Times

What are your reasons for suggesting I don't use Parallels for AutoCAD? My only concern with bootcamp would the splitting of the hard drive and being unable to recover that lost storage.
Old 07-10-2012 at 10:52 AM   #5
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncull View Post
What are your reasons for suggesting I don't use Parallels for AutoCAD? My only concern with bootcamp would the splitting of the hard drive and being unable to recover that lost storage.
It is just less stress on your computer and a much better experience using AutoCAD.

When you use parallels your limiting the processor power and ram that AutoCAD can use. Where as if you use Bootcamp AutoCAD can run freely. You will notice the biggest difference if you do 3D modeling with solid works of Catia.

Although if you planning on getting a new mac book(i5 +6-8GB ram) then your in much MUCH better position to use parallels as compared to my C2D.
Old 07-10-2012 at 11:19 AM   #6
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

not another PC and MAC war

i would say PC, i feel it is more flexible and is a safe bet with most softwares u need for engineering

also, if ur gonna be running // (parallels) for ur programs might as well settle down for a PC so u can maximize ur resources as Crzyrio said, instead of splitting it.

Last edited by jon.john23 : 07-10-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-10-2012 at 11:23 AM   #7
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
not again!!!! another PC and MAC war
It hasnt started yet, dont provoke it

jim1, jon.john23 like this.
Old 07-10-2012 at 11:25 AM   #8
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Use the search function. Plenty of threads already.

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 07-10-2012 at 11:34 AM   #9
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
It hasnt started yet, dont provoke it
I think i did

i changed my answer b4 i saw ur post. Sorry about that

Crzyrio likes this.
Old 07-10-2012 at 12:32 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I'm getting so bored of this stupid argument every year. In case people are still somehow unaware:

APPLE SWITCHED TO INTEL PROCESSORS 6 YEARS AGO AND THEREFORE YOU CAN RUN WINDOWS AND ALL THE OTHER PROGRAMS YOU NEED FOR ENGINEERING ON IT SINCE IT IS A GODDAMN PC.

There is no reason why an ordinary PC would somehow run engineering programs better than an Apple one. Dual booting (if you choose to not stay in Windows all the time on your mac) takes about 30 seconds - you're not important enough such that that will slow down your productivity.

Now lets celebrate by never asking this question again.

Andrew A, jon.john23, RyanC like this.
Old 07-12-2012 at 04:21 PM   #11
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Mac's are computers designed for personal use, therefore all Macs are PCs.

I win.