MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Free Day 2011: Free transit, free t-shirts and more! Sustain11 MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-15-2011 04:11 PM
Elective Help! viktoreeatee Academics 10 08-11-2011 02:07 AM
Daily Deal Roundup DDR- Free XBOX with laptop, Free labels and 50% Salads. MacPack Student Deals & Discounts 6 08-10-2011 10:29 AM
Elective Help? Ruggedman Academics 2 07-03-2008 04:07 PM

Free elective

Old 04-20-2013 at 05:43 PM   #1
Kevinabrahak

Liked: 8 Times

Free elective
I was hoping to complete a 4th year elective over summer of 2013. I did post a thread earlier regarding my eligibility of doing so considering that I am only in level 2 . I did get that cleared.

However, a friend of mine recently informed me that complementary electives are free when done in the fall/winter academic session of the year but if done over summer, your are charged a fee which technically would have been free had I done it in Fall/winter session of 4th year.

To what extent is this true ??? I really wish to do the course over the summer but not if I could do it for free during fall/winter academic session. Ill be saving an additional $800 roughly if I decide not to.
Old 04-20-2013 at 05:50 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinabrahak View Post
I was hoping to complete a 4th year elective over summer of 2013. I did post a thread earlier regarding my eligibility of doing so considering that I am only in level 2 . I did get that cleared.

However, a friend of mine recently informed me that complementary electives are free when done in the fall/winter academic session of the year but if done over summer, your are charged a fee which technically would have been free had I done it in Fall/winter session of 4th year.

To what extent is this true ??? I really wish to do the course over the summer but not if I could do it for free during fall/winter academic session. Ill be saving an additional $800 roughly if I decide not to.
Nothing is free.
At Mac, your tuition is based on the number of units you take. The exact breakdown is posted on the Student Accounts and Cashiers website.
If you take 3 units in the summer and three LESS units during the school year, then tuition-wise, you won't be paying more. You might even be paying less, if tuition goes up (which it tends to do every year). If you took those 3 units during the fall/winter term then you'd just pay for them at that point.
However, there are still supp fees in the summer that you are paying (not nearly as much as during the fall/winter session); I know there was talk about getting rid of the MAPS fee and whatnot for full-time students taking summer courses, but I'm not sure if that actually happened. Details should also be on the Student Accounts and Cashiers website.

Kevinabrahak likes this.
Old 04-20-2013 at 05:57 PM   #3
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I looked into this last year after my tuition was lower than it should have been (using the $ per credit x # of credits) and what I found out is that tuition is capped at 33 units for engineering, assuming no overloading. So if you take 33 credits, you pay the same as if you took 40.

If you are taking this course to lighten the course load for the regular school year, than yes, you will pay more. If you failed a course and were deciding whether to overload or to take it in the summer and have 6 courses like normal, then the cost should be the same.

I also sourced the link like 5 other times for the cost per credit so you can find it from a link on your payment agreement or search the forum

Kevinabrahak says thanks to Snowman for this post.
Old 04-20-2013 at 06:32 PM   #4
Kevinabrahak

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
tuition is capped at 33 units for engineering, assuming no overloading. So if you take 33 credits, you pay the same as if you took 40.
that is exactly what my friend told me. I am doing this course because I want to lighten my course load for the 4th year by 3 units ( not that it makes much of a difference) but I dint want to pay extra for something that would have been free had I done it over the actual academic year.

I'll still consult with an academic advisor and the Econ department ( as I intend to take Econ 2HH3 as my elective ) about the fee .