MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
French 1Z06 with Grade 11 French jh888 Academics 6 06-11-2013 06:01 AM
FRENCH 1Z06, BEGINNER'S INTENSIVE FRENCH I - good elective? MaddySzl14 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 03-13-2013 10:26 PM
TRADE FRENCH 1Z06 for SPANISH 1Z06 PLZZZ Liz.enriquez Academics 0 09-16-2010 05:57 PM
French 1z06 and Spanish 1z06 (credit confusion) oli13 Academics 1 07-02-2010 04:48 PM

French 1Z06 lab

Old 08-31-2013 at 04:42 PM   #1
skk1

Liked: 3 Times

French 1Z06 lab
Are there lab hours for French 1Z06? because on my timetable it says TBA for the lab component?
If so, what are the labs for and how long are they?
Old 08-31-2013 at 07:46 PM   #2
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

A language course with a lab? Normally a beginners language course would have a tutorial and they're usually one hour long. If it really says lab, then they are usually 2 hours long...

Labs and tutorials are extra classes where you have a T.A. and it is a time where you get to ask questions about things learned in lecture, if something is unclear to you. Since this is a beginners language course, you would probably do some exercises based on what you learned in lecture to help you study and practice the language more. Participation and attendance are usually taken into account and it will count towards your final mark, depending on the prof.

Last edited by akikokoyoki : 08-31-2013 at 07:54 PM.

skk1 says thanks to akikokoyoki for this post.
Old 08-31-2013 at 09:34 PM   #3
Cpl. Saint

Liked: 1 Time

I took that course last year. I had the initial impression that there were labs too but apparently not. There is nothing besides the lectures. It might mean computer HW that is available on the CD that you do at your own free time. If the instructor is still Helen then I don't think it will be any different form last year. Besides the courseware has not changed for almost a decade. The instructor still uses VCR tapes!! So don't worry man

skk1 says thanks to Cpl. Saint for this post.
Old 09-03-2013 at 12:14 AM   #4
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

No labs for this course, unless they have changed it from last yr.
Old 09-03-2013 at 01:30 AM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

It's likely scheduling for a lab room so students have access to software or just a computer for some weekly assignments. Things like that are also scheduled sometimes to meet the 'classtime' requirement for the number of credits the course is worth.
Old 09-03-2013 at 01:53 PM   #6
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

From when I took the course, you were required to work on the homework on the CD as your lab time, which would take about 3 hours a week.