MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goodbye ELM! aaront Academics 41 04-04-2010 11:42 PM
Goodbye Elm... Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-30-2010 10:38 PM
McMaster to Ban Plastic Bags on Campus saukalra MacInsiders Announcements 46 09-14-2009 08:04 PM
Goodbye WebCT Infinity General Discussion 72 09-11-2009 05:09 PM

Goodbye Paper Money - Hello Plastic

Old 03-06-2010 at 06:56 PM   #1
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Goodbye Paper Money - Hello Plastic
Evidently, in the not too distant future, we will be switching from paper bills to plastic bills. Here's the article:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...tic-money.html

I thought it was pretty cool.
Old 03-06-2010 at 07:01 PM   #2
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

I thought this thread was about credit cards

I guess yay for no counterfeiting and good for the environment.
Old 03-06-2010 at 07:01 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

It's a great initiative especially since plastic can be chemically synthesized as opposed to paper which requires direct use of natural resources. I'm just not sure I like it though.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 03-07-2010 at 12:29 AM   #4
taylojl

Liked: 20 Times

Why do we even need tangible money that has to be passed back and forth? Is it really needed? They should just have pay passes everywhere. Zoom! efficient and good for the environment.
:tree:
Old 03-07-2010 at 12:31 AM   #5
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

coolios
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 03-07-2010 at 12:35 AM   #6
Alireza

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylojl View Post
Why do we even need tangible money that has to be passed back and forth? Is it really needed? They should just have pay passes everywhere. Zoom! efficient and good for the environment.
Then when the government doesn't like what your doing they will just turn off your card and no one will know you ever existed lol

Last edited by Alireza : 03-07-2010 at 02:03 AM.

Afzal says thanks to Alireza for this post.
Old 03-07-2010 at 12:39 AM   #7
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
It's a great initiative especially since plastic can be chemically synthesized as opposed to paper which requires direct use of natural resources. I'm just not sure I like it though.
I'm not sure I understand this reasoning...perhaps I missed something.

Why is it that half the time, it seems as though people prefer the 'all-natural' approach, and the other half 'all-natural' is bad? (Not being sarcastic, I'm literally asking)
Old 03-07-2010 at 08:55 AM   #8
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Our economy would collapse, since the black market and other "under the table" transactions would cease to exist.
Old 03-07-2010 at 09:42 AM   #9
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
I thought this thread was about credit cards
lol I thought this was about debit which actually is all I use anyway so I don't really care what they do with the bills. Seems like cash is being phased out anyway, I'm a cashier and I can't believe the difference between how many debit users there are now compared to only three years ago.
Old 03-07-2010 at 09:48 AM   #10
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
I can't believe the difference between how many debit users there are now compared to only three years ago.
I have mixed feelings about a statement like this...

On the one hand, debit is so much more convenient (I know from experience :p I'm lazy). But on the other hand, even for someone like myself who tries to keep a mental record of how much is in my bank account, I tend to over-spend when using debit...and I'm sure people who aren't as good at holding the figures in their head, must have this problem to a greater degree.

There's gotta be something psychological about it...something about physically handing over money tends to make people stop and say 'woah...that TV just cost me a crapload of money.'

I would hope people have some means of limiting themselves, since this increase in debit use surely leads to an increase of reckless spending in cases.
Old 03-07-2010 at 09:52 AM   #11
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I'm not sure I understand this reasoning...perhaps I missed something.

Why is it that half the time, it seems as though people prefer the 'all-natural' approach, and the other half 'all-natural' is bad? (Not being sarcastic, I'm literally asking)
It's a great change and I understand their rationale, but I'm just not smiling widely at that great a change in something we're so used to.

It's like when Coke changed the outside of its cans during that...Coke = happiness season, where they had rainbow people on the sides.
I loved the change but it seems a bit sad that it did change.

On a more widely applicable note: Does this mean 50s and 100s will need to be traded in for these bills?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 03-07-2010 at 09:55 AM   #12
ltswat

Liked: 0 Times

lol its even easier to counterfeit plastic, money..no matter what hologram, chip or even magnetic sensors.....plastic is easier..smooth surface, easy for printing and embedding chips. Money should be left in bills!
Old 03-07-2010 at 09:56 AM   #13
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I'm telling you Jack, my conspiracy theory is legit. No one's just gonna hand over every bill they have. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-07-2010 at 10:56 AM   #14
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 256 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltswat View Post
lol its even easier to counterfeit plastic, money..no matter what hologram, chip or even magnetic sensors.....plastic is easier..smooth surface, easy for printing and embedding chips. Money should be left in bills!
I'm pretty sure the people at the Mint know a bit more about counterfeiting money than you do.
Old 03-07-2010 at 11:18 AM   #15
knox

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
It's not like people are going to be tossing their plastic money on the ground..