MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
class composite/ graduation photo milkproject General Discussion 2 11-15-2012 11:33 PM
All night thing... JasonMcGuirk Music 13 04-01-2011 10:25 AM
What was the KingQueen thing Iamanonymous General Discussion 20 02-11-2010 09:40 PM
What is the #1 thing you need right now? Rossclot General Discussion 94 02-04-2010 09:25 AM
For the Clubfest thing Goce Academics 5 09-03-2008 05:25 PM

What is that graduation photo thing for?

Old 11-17-2015 at 04:19 PM   #1
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

What is that graduation photo thing for?
They say the photographer is gonna shoot me for 10 minutes... what for? It's for the picture that goes to the "graduation year of 20**" right? Then why the hell do I need 10 minutes worth of pictures?

Also since when do we get yearbooks? I've been here for years and haven't seen a single one of those things.

Also I just got an appointment for the last time spot. Does that mean no one else will be getting their picture taken?
Old 11-17-2015 at 07:37 PM   #2
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

i never had my photos done- but depending on the length of your session the number of poses you get differs. that's about it really. as for year books not sure- my faculty (commerce) gave them out at convocation.
Old 11-18-2015 at 07:39 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

I never got a yearbook. I'm kind of annoyed since we all pay fees for it every year.
Then again, I was supposed to get a composite and didn't get one of those either. Overall was not impressed with the organization of those things.
Old 11-20-2015 at 09:14 PM   #4
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

They don't just take 1 photo for the yearbook. They take photos of different poses with different props so that you can purchase them as graduation photos.

I don't believe the actual photographer took 10 minutes, but there was some waiting time, and they need to fit you with a gown beforehand.

I never got a yearbook, not sure if they exist. But you will get a copy of the class photo.
Old 11-20-2015 at 10:39 PM   #5
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
I never got a yearbook, not sure if they exist. But you will get a copy of the class photo.
Seeing how my program is longer than that of most people who entered it with me, and seeing how I changed programs along the way. Class photo really becomes irrelevant seeing how everyone I knew either graduated or are in a different "class"....

What is a "class" anyway? We don't have classes in the classic meaning of the term. So what is it? Like a photo of all the people who graduate from Engineering with me this year? All 500 of them? Some photo that'll be... Either's gonna be 2 by 2 meters in size, or it will come with a magnifying glass...

I can see it right now, I show the yearbook or the class photo to my grandson, and say "this here is John Smith, some guy who was in my math class whom I saw both times I've been to lectures that term"....

Wow the more I think about it, the more I realize that this whole picture taking is pointless waste of money. It's even more useless than it was high school where people actually get to know each other.

Might as well just take pictures during and after the actual graduation ceremony where you can take as many pictures as you want with your friends.

Last edited by GeorgeLucas : 11-20-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2015 at 03:40 AM   #6
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

The class photo composite might not be useful or important for some people with large program sizes or who don't know people in their programs, but for smaller/tight-knit programs they're nice to have! In PNB our 2014 graduating class had about 150 people and we all pretty much knew each other.

Btw, my understanding is that the composites are given to your department to distribute. At least, that was the way it was in Psych--we got an email that they were available to pick up in the main office.

But yeah, still haven't recieved my yearbook either. I intend to inquire about it x/
Old 11-21-2015 at 03:23 PM   #7
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
Seeing how my program is longer than that of most people who entered it with me, and seeing how I changed programs along the way. Class photo really becomes irrelevant seeing how everyone I knew either graduated or are in a different "class"....

What is a "class" anyway? We don't have classes in the classic meaning of the term. So what is it? Like a photo of all the people who graduate from Engineering with me this year? All 500 of them? Some photo that'll be... Either's gonna be 2 by 2 meters in size, or it will come with a magnifying glass...
I was in the Mechanical Engineering program. So my class consisted of only Mechanical Engineering students graduating in the year of 20XX. It doesn't cover all Engineering students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
Wow the more I think about it, the more I realize that this whole picture taking is pointless waste of money. It's even more useless than it was high school where people actually get to know each other.

Might as well just take pictures during and after the actual graduation ceremony where you can take as many pictures as you want with your friends.
Not sure what else you want the University to offer. The school can't ensure all your friends are in your class and graduate the same year. We all take different paths in life.

The graduation ceremony is my main disappointment. Unlike other Universities, the ceremony does not take place on campus...it takes place at a convention center in downtown Hamilton. It's not a nice venue, and everyone's photos turn out with a horrible backdrop. So while every other university student has amazing pictures on campus greenery, with their gowns and all. We are stuck with some indoor photos of a convention center. Personally, had I known this beforehand, I would not have attended McMaster.
Old 11-21-2015 at 04:31 PM   #8
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Personally, had I known this beforehand, I would not have attended McMaster.
Agreed. There are a lot of things about this place I wish I had known beforehand.
Old 11-22-2015 at 01:17 PM   #9
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
The graduation ceremony is my main disappointment. Unlike other Universities, the ceremony does not take place on campus...it takes place at a convention center in downtown Hamilton. It's not a nice venue, and everyone's photos turn out with a horrible backdrop. So while every other university student has amazing pictures on campus greenery, with their gowns and all. We are stuck with some indoor photos of a convention center. Personally, had I known this beforehand, I would not have attended McMaster.
You wouldn't have chosen McMaster because of the backdrop in your graduation photo?

Old 11-22-2015 at 06:23 PM   #10
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Quote:
You wouldn't have chosen McMaster because of the backdrop in your graduation photo?

Maybe he's right, maybe not....

.... but the fact that we have to use a bum sleeping in the corner of Jackson Square as a backdrop for our Grad photos really shows how little the University cares. It's just one more thing to add to the list.

Is building a temporary stage in our stadium too much to ask? Would the jocks die without running with a pigskin for a couple of days? Would all the money the University gets for promoting sports spontaneously combust if the field was used for other than football?

So weak....

Allan says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.