MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[urgent] "account is full (quota exceeded)" email problem WekSos Academics 3 07-06-2010 11:33 AM
When is Deferred Exam Grade Release? islytt Academics 1 06-24-2010 07:09 PM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

Harper struggles for a "Fox News North"

Old 09-03-2010 at 08:54 AM   #1
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Harper struggles for a "Fox News North"
Here's the main article in the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.c om/news/politics/lawrence-martin/is-stephen-harper-set-to-move-against-the-crtc/article1677632/
Old 09-03-2010 at 09:12 AM   #2
drew4008

Liked: 13 Times

Would love it. I spent two years in the States and watched FOX News pretty often... it was by far the best cable news network and an actually professional and unbiased one (something very hard to find in the wildly liberal media world).
Old 09-03-2010 at 09:41 AM   #3
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4008 View Post
Would love it. I spent two years in the States and watched FOX News pretty often... it was by far the best cable news network and an actually professional and unbiased one (something very hard to find in the wildly liberal media world).
please tell me that's sarcasm.

Old 09-03-2010 at 09:44 AM   #4
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
I'm hoping, too.

Am I just naive, or aren't CTV and Global pretty unbiased? I know the CBC has a slight left-slant, but we definitely don't have an MSNBC in Canada.
Old 09-03-2010 at 12:05 PM   #5
zombiejesus

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Masterful sarcasm!

Quote:
I know the CBC has a slight left-slant

I disagree. I think the CBC is one of the most professional and unbiased news channels on the planet. To quote Stephen Colbert: "
Reality has a well-known liberal bias."

As for Mr. Harper trying to create his own conservative propaganda machine; it scares the crap out of me. I want him out of office before he burns down a parliament building, blames it on his political enemies, and declares himself tirannos for life. Can you imagine what the network would be like? BREAKING NEWS: Abortion is a sin, gay marriage is evil, Jesus rode dinosaurs, evolution is just a theory, we're never going to run of out of oil you stupid hippies, and HEIL STEPHEN HARPER!

Last edited by zombiejesus : 09-03-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2010 at 12:15 PM   #6
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

I definitely wouldn't be watching a Fox News style news station. I just want the facts told to me without any opinion added so I can be properly informed about what's going on in the world.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 09-03-2010 at 11:49 PM   #7
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

Prime Minister Harper should be voted out of the parliament ASAP! The guy has the most bizarre ideas and is gradually shifting out political spectrum to match with the Americans.

Old 09-03-2010 at 11:54 PM   #8
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
I literally just had a panic attack at the thought that this isn't sarcasm.

Let's face it...unfortunately most news happens to be biased. I live in the US so I'm not too familiar with Canadian news, but American news is all biased in some shape or form. That's why it's important for our generation to stay educated and make our opinions and draw our own conclusions, just not mindlessly listen to the bias on tv.
Old 09-04-2010 at 12:02 AM   #9
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

ewww Fox
Old 09-04-2010 at 12:49 AM   #10
adam7takeo

Liked: 13 Times

if we get our own Fox News, then we also get our own Jon Stewart to make fun of it.
Old 09-04-2010 at 01:28 AM   #11
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
Read the comments in news articles on the National Post or Globe and Mail websites, we definitely have people who think like that in Canada... most of them just don't happen to be in University
Old 09-04-2010 at 08:59 AM   #12
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaya View Post
Prime Minister Harper should be voted out of the parliament ASAP! The guy has the most bizarre ideas and is gradually shifting out political spectrum to match with the Americans.
and replace him with who? Ignatieff is easily worse if this is your biggest complaint. and NDP won't win anytime soon. oh there is no hope, we'll just have to keep having nonissues in canadian politics forever.

Last edited by andrew22 : 09-04-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-04-2010 at 10:50 AM   #13
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Get this Ameri*** out of here.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-04-2010 at 11:05 AM   #14
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiejesus View Post
As for Mr. Harper trying to create his own conservative propaganda machine; it scares the crap out of me. I want him out of office before he burns down a parliament building, blames it on his political enemies, and declares himself tirannos for life. Can you imagine what the network would be like? BREAKING NEWS: Abortion is a sin, gay marriage is evil, Jesus rode dinosaurs, evolution is just a theory, we're never going to run of out of oil you stupid hippies, and HEIL STEPHEN HARPER!
See, this is my biggest problem with it. All politicians use the media to influence people's thoughts and try to gain votes that way, but this is taking it to a new level. Hopefully people will turn to other news stations that are not essentially a glorified PR department, instead of relying on Harper's "news" station. By gradually spewing more and more of those ideas, he could sway many people to a more "conservative" viewpoint.

Then again, if it's simply a TV version of the Toronto Sun, it shouldn't really be that harmful...the Sun is pretty conservative, fun to laugh at, as long as you don't take it seriously. Fox has its moments like that too, actually

Last edited by nerual : 09-04-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-04-2010 at 12:05 PM   #15
MohitB

Liked: 3 Times

Will it be called Beaver News?

justinsftw likes this.