MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what to do if conflicting courses and both courses are very required? killza Academics 11 06-12-2010 05:08 PM
Do Medical Schools care if I took 4 courses first semester, 5 courses 2nd semester... Arnold General Discussion 6 07-17-2009 03:30 PM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM

Having to take 1st yr courses in 2nd yr!

Old 07-06-2009 at 07:39 AM   #1
rebeccaaa

Liked: 0 Times

Having to take 1st yr courses in 2nd yr!
I had all of my courses picked out accordingly then of course when I get on solar 90% of the ones I wanted were full. I got in all of the courses that I needed for my program, however for my electives I had to end up taking 2 first year courses. They were literally the only 2 courses availible that I was actually was qualified to get into, because all of the 2nd yr courses I wanted to take as electives were full.

My question is will it academically hurt me taking two 1st yr courses when I'm in 2nd year? Also if I contact the Dean of the faculty of the course I want to get into, will they let me even though I'm only using it as an elective? I'm just curious if then I won't be allowed to get into 3rd yr programs because I didn't have enough 2nd year credits.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-06-2009 at 07:48 AM   #2
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccaaa View Post
I had all of my courses picked out accordingly then of course when I get on solar 90% of the ones I wanted were full. I got in all of the courses that I needed for my program, however for my electives I had to end up taking 2 first year courses. They were literally the only 2 courses availible that I was actually was qualified to get into, because all of the 2nd yr courses I wanted to take as electives were full.

My question is will it academically hurt me taking two 1st yr courses when I'm in 2nd year? Also if I contact the Dean of the faculty of the course I want to get into, will they let me even though I'm only using it as an elective? I'm just curious if then I won't be allowed to get into 3rd yr programs because I didn't have enough 2nd year credits.

Thanks in advance!
Unless your program specifically says in the Undergraduate calendar that you need a certain amount of level 2 courses, it doesn't matter nor will it hurt you academically. Just make sure you're taking the necessary courses to get into level 3 classes for the future.

Old 07-06-2009 at 11:22 PM   #3
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

Taking first year courses as electives will definitely not look bad academically. I met a lot of upper years taking first year classes. And usually you can take classes from another faculty as long as you meet the pre-requisites. For some you may need permission from the faculty or you may need to be in the program. You should look up the classes in the course calendar first or contact the faculty to make sure.
Old 07-06-2009 at 11:50 PM   #4
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

It's fine as long as all the courses you're taking aren't in first year.

I believe you can take up to a max of 48 units from first year. Keep in mind that graduate schools may have a certain requirement that you take a certain number of courses from your current year of study.

noor_oghlaw, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 07-07-2009 at 01:34 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

It's totally normal to take first year courses in second year. Think of it has raising your GPA if you work for it, since you know what they expect in first year courses. But always, always satisfy requirements first.
Old 07-16-2009 at 02:04 PM   #6
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Taking too many first year classes does look bad for grad school though.
Old 07-16-2009 at 02:15 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

You can only take a maximum of six first year courses/eighteen units after first year though. That's not very much considering you take forty classes for your degree/120 credits.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-16-2009 at 03:45 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Is 48 units the maximum for all faculties? Or does it differ?
Thanks!
Old 07-16-2009 at 03:47 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Is 48 units the maximum for all faculties? Or does it differ?
Thanks!
It's 48 units for almost all the programs. I would check them all, but there are just too many.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-16-2009 at 04:22 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
It's 48 units for almost all the programs. I would check them all, but there are just too many.
almost all is good enough, haha thanks!
Old 07-16-2009 at 04:22 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
almost all is good enough, haha thanks!
Yeah, definitively check for the programs you want to apply to though.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-16-2009 at 05:02 PM   #12
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I don't think grad schools tend to care about the courses you're taking (so long as you meet their requirements), except for some qualitative applications. I know of some med schools for instance, which look not only at your GPA, but also the difficulty of the courses you've taken each year.
Old 07-16-2009 at 05:10 PM   #13
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

rebeccaaa: You're lucky D:
At least you managed to get electives. All the second-year AND first-year ones I wanted are full! Looks like I'll be bugging associate deans for the next month or so.

{ don't stop the music }
Old 07-16-2009 at 07:14 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I was told this year I could take as many first year courses as I wanted.

Second degrees are awesome.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-16-2009 at 10:14 PM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Ohh, so instead of counting as an elective.. it would contribute to a second degree?