MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone taken Health Sci 2A03 Saskia Academics 4 01-10-2012 02:02 PM
McMaster Students for Health Innovation Speaker Series: Pediatric Mental Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-21-2011 11:39 AM
Health Innovation Lecture Series: Chronic Conditions & Child Health nuttynatz MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-15-2010 09:33 PM
Med Physics 2A03 "Science 2A03" or Math 2A03 ebfrancis Academics 2 09-01-2009 08:17 AM

Health Sci 2A03

Old 01-04-2013 at 02:34 PM   #1
RankNullity

Liked: 27 Times

Health Sci 2A03
I was just wondering if anyone who has taken this course can provide some insight into how it is. I found a couple of threads on here that don't provide much detail other than it is PBL. Now I'm not exactly sure what that would entail. Does that mean this course is done in groups? I also wish there were a course outline somewhere so I could see what the breakdown of the course is. If anyone has taken it or has any information on this class, that would be great!
Old 01-04-2013 at 02:37 PM   #2
rcmp1234

Liked: 7 Times

i assume that this is the biostatistics course. I took this class year, and I (as well as the majority of ppl in my year) found the way this course was taught to be dreadful. I believe they have changed the course structure and the profs drastically this year as a result of the feedback they got from our year. I wouldnt recommend taking this course unless you are in hth sci for which it is mandatory. There is no group work, and your grade is entirely composed of a midterm, several tutorial assignments and a final exam.
Old 01-04-2013 at 03:13 PM   #3
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

It's been redesigned to include iclickers and tutorial presentations this year as well. The course outline is available for any learnlink user to see. If you don't have access but want to see it pm me. I think stats 2b03 is a better option though, but if you need a stats course and that one is full then I guess this is one of The only options.
Old 06-03-2013 at 01:43 PM   #4
LifeSciences

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
It's been redesigned to include iclickers and tutorial presentations this year as well. The course outline is available for any learnlink user to see. If you don't have access but want to see it pm me. I think stats 2b03 is a better option though, but if you need a stats course and that one is full then I guess this is one of The only options.
I was thinking of taking stats 2b03 instead of this course. Do you think I would be allowed to do that (I am in health sci) or do I have to stick with hth sci 2A03?
Old 06-03-2013 at 02:20 PM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

You cannot, as a prerequisite is being registered in the Faculty of Science.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-03-2013 at 02:45 PM   #6
LifeSciences

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
You cannot, as a prerequisite is being registered in the Faculty of Science.
I don't think so... on the undergrad calendar it says
Prerequisite(s):
One of Grade 12 Data Management U, STATS 1A03 or registration in Level II or above of a program in the Faculty of Science

I took gr 12 data management, so I think I should be ok?
Old 06-03-2013 at 02:58 PM   #7
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Ah, I missed that. You might be able to but I'd clear it with the faculty first because on your program description, it's listed as needing Health Sci 2A03, not an equivalent

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-03-2013 at 03:23 PM   #8
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Do not, under any circumstance, take this course. It's absolutely awful. It has been every year, and it will continue to be terrible. If you have the option of taking the Science Stats... take that. It's a much better option.
Old 06-03-2013 at 04:11 PM   #9
LifeSciences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
Do not, under any circumstance, take this course. It's absolutely awful. It has been every year, and it will continue to be terrible. If you have the option of taking the Science Stats... take that. It's a much better option.
Do you think the science stats can replace this mandatory course for me for second year hth sci?
Who do you think I should contact? I am thinking whoever I contact I need to tell them that the hth sci 2A03 conflicts with another course that I am taking... or any other ideas?

I also really wanna take the science stats because Dr. Childs teaches it, and he is really good!

Thank you!!
Old 06-03-2013 at 04:15 PM   #10
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^why would you lie about something like that? you honestly think this class will be hard? no stats class in first/second year is hard. get some balls bro
Old 06-03-2013 at 05:05 PM   #11
Chipmunk

Liked: 6 Times

HTH SCI 2A03 has a reputation for being the most poorly taught course in the BHSc program. Substituting 2A03 for 2B03 seems like a good idea, but you should contact Teresa Basilio (program manager) and ask her if this is possible. My instinct tells me it won't be, since on the degree audit HTH SCI 2A03 is a requirement for all students, even regardless of specialization.
Old 06-03-2013 at 05:05 PM   #12
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
^why would you lie about something like that? you honestly think this class will be hard? no stats class in first/second year is hard. get some balls bro

It's not 'hard', many many people get 12s. That doesn't mean it wasn't torturous to take since you had to rely on a 1hr tutorial and google to figure out WTF was going on. stats 2B03 on the other hand is a known bird course. I think we can all appreciate by now how much the organization of a course matters, many times it is a bigger factor than the difficulty of the content...

Chipmunk likes this.
Old 06-03-2013 at 05:44 PM   #13
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
It's not 'hard', many many people get 12s. That doesn't mean it wasn't torturous to take since you had to rely on a 1hr tutorial and google to figure out WTF was going on. stats 2B03 on the other hand is a known bird course. I think we can all appreciate by now how much the organization of a course matters, many times it is a bigger factor than the difficulty of the content...
doesnt justify lying to advisers especially when the program the guy who wants to lie is in is already bird enough.