MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Health Studies 1A03 SarahP 1st Year Course Reviews 14 01-06-2014 02:42 PM
Dropping Health Studies 1A03, Let me know!:) Ansa Academics 2 01-15-2010 11:42 AM
PLEASE HELP: Health Studies 1A03 Mephisto First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-23-2009 10:54 AM
Please Help: Health Studies 1a03 Mephisto Academics 3 12-29-2008 08:55 AM

Health Studies 1A03

Old 08-09-2007 at 08:55 AM   #1
Pawan

Liked: 0 Times

Health Studies 1A03
hey...i was wondering if anyone knew anything about this class..like it is hard...or is it a heavy class?....and i was wondering if someone can give me like a summary of what you have to do in this class....i ended up having to take it due to conflicts so i want to make sure its not toooo difficult
Old 08-09-2007 at 10:05 AM   #2
Amara

http://www.socsci.mcmaster.c a/heal...ild inera.pdf

heres the summary..
i was wondering how it is as well/.
i hope anyone who has taken it can answer it here..
Old 08-09-2007 at 02:03 PM   #3
livy_04

ya, i wanted to take this class too! But it was full already. What are the chances I can get into the 2nd semester class of it? Will ppl have dropped it by then?
Old 08-09-2007 at 02:25 PM   #4
Pawan

umm...im not sure if you can get into the 2nd semester one...but i noe that right now...the 1st semester one is avialable...so if you want...u can still switch

but have you heard anything about the course itself....like from anyone that has already taken it ...is it an easy course ?...or is it hard ?
Old 08-09-2007 at 02:41 PM   #5
AF89

hey where did u find that link? do they hav this for every course? Do all those readings come from one text book?
Old 08-09-2007 at 03:34 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

you may be able to switch in term 2; it depends on what happens between now and the term 2 drop and add, which is in january.

and it looks like no one has taken the course on this board.
Old 08-13-2007 at 12:58 PM   #7
SarahP

Hi People,

I took Health Studies 1A03. So, here is my long winded and probably useless review of that class. I thought the class was very interesting, and actually really liked it. Yet, there were many many people in the class who did not like it and complained quite a lot on web ct... I had not seen that happen in any other class.

Anyways, if you are interested in how health care systems work and looking at different ones around the world, you may like this class. I think it is pretty important particularly in Canada, where our universal health care is threatened by more privatization to know how health care systems function. You might agree that privatization is threat after taking this class. You learn a lot about the history of health care in Canada and how it all works.

Health Studies 1A03 very social sciences, in that, most of the course focuses on different research techniques particularly critical analysis and other whatsits.
When I took it, the course was mostly about it social and cultural norms, how societies work in general, and specifically how they take care of their sick throughout history and currently. As well, it dealt heavily with the economics and politics of health.

If you thought SICKO by that Moore guy was really interesting you might find the course interesting.

The Downside: Multiple choice exams are tricky and you may find some of the material rather redundant.

Old 08-13-2007 at 01:38 PM   #8
Pawan

thnks sarah
Old 05-16-2008 at 10:12 PM   #9
shleyaa

Liked: 8 Times

i'm really interested in taking this course now! i loved michael moore's sicko, and i think i would enjoy myself if i were to learn more about other health care systems. were there a lot of essays/reports assigned in this course?

Old 05-25-2008 at 01:39 AM   #10
joset2

I loved this course because it had no exams. yipeeeee
YOU HAVE TO ATTEND ALL LECTURES AND MAKE NOTES!!!! IT MIGHT GTE BORING .....BUT TURST ME...THS ALL U NEED TO GET A 12.

THE 2 ESSAYS DEPENDS ON HOW NICE YOUR TA IS. BUT OVERALL THIS IS A REALLY GOOD COURSE AND YOU LEARN SO MUCH ABOUT THE HISTORY OF CANADIAN HEALTH CARE!!!!

I SAY GO FOR IT....BT......GO TO ALL LECTURES AND MAKE NOTES!!!!
Old 05-25-2008 at 08:54 AM   #11
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I was one of the people who HATED this course. My professor was extremely boring. AND at the time I had no idea that it was about politics (I should have read the course description more carefully). The information was dry. I didn't want to learn this information even though I studied I didn't do well because it couldn't sink in. If you're passionate about these things it'll be fine but if you're not take another course.
Old 05-28-2008 at 09:59 PM   #12
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

I hated this class as well.. I dont even want to go into detail. I did crap on the tests mostly because the info was terribly boring and dry.
Old 05-28-2008 at 10:13 PM   #13
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

i took this class, and then realised i didnt' like it and i dropped it. if you're in science, this class might not be what it seems like from the course description...i thought it was an intersting course based on the description, but the material is really boring.. think harder before deciding to take it.
Old 07-12-2008 at 09:52 PM   #14
hello395

Is this course easier or harder than Envir Sc 1A03? And how is the workload of Healthst 1A03 in comparison to Envir Sc 1A03?
Old 07-14-2008 at 12:55 AM   #15
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

They're two totally different courses, in terms of the workload and such. But Health Studies has... 4 or 5 tests, your tutorial mark and 2 essays. So compare that to the break down of Envir Sci 1A03. If you dont think you could handle having tests constantly, then dont take it.