MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing a program J.Clouseau First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 09-02-2013 10:16 PM
Choosing a minor Angoose Academics 11 09-04-2011 07:29 AM
Some advide on choosing, please. MirandaC First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 03-13-2011 08:01 PM
Choosing a second year program Angoose Academics 16 01-14-2011 12:55 AM
Choosing 2nd year program hellohello Academics 4 06-14-2010 03:48 PM

Help choosing a program!

Old 06-04-2014 at 07:52 AM   #1
skk1

Liked: 3 Times

Help choosing a program!
I recently got accepted into mol bio and genetics co-op program.
However, I was wondering for people currently in the program, what was it like i.e. Is it easy to find a job?
Also, I am not sure if i want to do a thesis so wondering if I should switch to honours bio?

Any comments on the co-op program would be helpful!

Thank You
Old 06-04-2014 at 12:58 PM   #2
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

I'm actually in the Biology and Pharmacology Co-op program and on my first co-op term. Your experience is what you make of it. We have quite a bit of problem based learning skills (not sure how mol bio works) but a lot of people in my program were in mol bio second year and switched over. They didn't really enjoy it. If you are really interested in mol bio go with it. The co-op office will help you find jobs but its up to you to get it. They merely present jobs to everyone and its on you to get the interview and get hired.
Old 06-04-2014 at 03:46 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

I also did science co-op and I found that it was pretty difficult to find a job that wasn't in an academic lab.

You should figure out if you want to do a thesis soon, because there are less required courses in honours bio than mol bio, and you don't want to get stuck taking courses you don't like, only to find out later on that you didn't even need them. I know someone who was in mol bio co-op who switched out half-way through their thesis, just because they hated the lab they were in, and ended up graduating with a regular honours bio degree, even though they were 4 months away from finishing mol bio co-op.