MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-02-2009 at 09:12 AM   #1
lizzie123

Liked: 1 Time

Help Help Help
Hey,
Ok i have a huge problem. I had a really low gpa first year and i really want to get into the pharmacology program third year. But to do it you need to be in honours bio second year. I cant get in cuz my marks are below cutoff. WHAT DO I DO??? Is there any conditional stuff i can do???
Please help!!
Old 07-02-2009 at 09:39 AM   #2
lilchoconut

Liked: 0 Times

try and shadow as many courses as you can while taking some easier courses to raise your gp

you can also trys contacting the profs of the classes that you need to get into and see if you go to their classes without being registered in the program

you can raise your gpa in the next year and try to reapply to the program

you should also try talking to an academic counsellor in the faculty of science... here is a list of contacts:
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/~associatedean/advising.html

good luck with everything =)
Old 07-02-2009 at 10:43 AM   #3
dreamcrisis

Liked: 0 Times

You mean the biology and pharmacology co-op program right?

I am not sure if you do need to be in honours biology program for 2nd year.

because it says

" completion of any Level II program with a Cumulative Average of at least 6.0 "
from http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1535.html

just as long you have the required courses that they say.

and take easy courses to boost up your gpa.

I got in being life science in 2nd year.
Old 07-02-2009 at 12:21 PM   #4
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

I just want to mention that "easy courses" may not bring up your GPA. Everyone finds different things easy so make sure you are taking courses that you find interesting. If you find something interesting, you will most likely try harder in the course and get a better mark. If you do not find a course interesting, you may not do as well in it. Hope everything works out
Old 07-02-2009 at 12:58 PM   #5
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

It's true everyone finds different things easy. Perhaps you could try looking at courses that aren't essay heavy if you're not good at essays or look for electives you might like with no exams/tests to lighten your load at exam time so you can study more for your required courses.