MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
social for macinsiders Qadd General Discussion 2 09-13-2010 10:08 PM
social sciences anyone? :) leedermp Introduce Yourself 10 08-31-2010 09:14 PM
Course Help - Social Sciences steph.elle First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-27-2010 08:32 PM

Help for Social Anxiety

Old 08-15-2010 at 06:20 PM   #1
FirstYearMac

Liked: 0 Times

Help for Social Anxiety
Hello, I was recently accepted into a first year program for social sciences but suffer from an extreme case of social anxiety. Are there any services available at mac to help me with this?
Old 08-15-2010 at 06:27 PM   #2
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I would suggest contacting the Centre for Student Development. They will have all the information you need. You can send them a quick email or phonecall, explaining your situation, and I'm sure they'll get back to you in no tme.

Here is their contact information:
http://csd.mcmaster.ca/centre-for-st...ent/contact-us

FirstYearMac likes this.
Old 08-15-2010 at 06:30 PM   #3
FirstYearMac

Liked: 0 Times

Thank you.
Old 10-06-2010 at 08:04 PM   #4
livi.g

Liked: 1 Time

Yes, CSD can be really helpful.
I hope your year is going well, anxiety can be such a burden at times, don't let it get the best of you!
Old 10-06-2010 at 08:05 PM   #5
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

I had to chuckle @ the irony, but best of luck!
Old 10-06-2010 at 08:17 PM   #6
LWright

Liked: 3 Times

There is also an anxiety clinic through McMaster called MacAnxiety that offers help. There are CBT programs available as well as pharmacological help if thats what you are looking for. I used to work there, and the people are super nice. If you as CSD about them they can give you more info check out their site http://www.macanxiety.com/ Good luck
Old 10-06-2010 at 08:24 PM   #7
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

I was in the same boat as you man. Before frosh week I couldn't look a person in the eye, let alone be comfortable with any setting that had me interacting with anyone on a personal level. I pretty much found a few people I was comfortable with and used them to expand my horizons. As hard as it may be, joining some clubs could do you some good. If you find even one person who you are comfortable with and make friends, every step afterwards gets substantially easier. If this seems like too big a step, definitely listen to the other posters and try some counselling at the CSD.
Old 10-06-2010
RyanC
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-07-2010 at 02:49 AM   #8
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

I'm in social sci and I'm not social at all.