MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) kritters91 Academics 4 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
Mirroring Honours Biology when in Honours Life Science mw11 Academics 1 05-30-2010 02:39 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology R633 Academics 0 05-29-2010 04:47 PM
Honours Biology (core) Or Life Science 2 Rakim Academics 9 03-05-2010 07:32 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM

Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology

Old 05-30-2010 at 12:17 PM   #16
nessa18

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlee H. View Post
Yes I did get into Honours Life Sci, but I mean... I'm pretty sure that the cut-off last year for even molecular biology was a 6.9... I was talking to a biology prof at the beginning of the year, I had a rough first semester and only had a 6.6, and she told me herself that I would definitely get into honours biology with a 6.6.. I did a lot better 2nd term and managed to reach an 8.2 which brought my CA to a 7.4... but I guess there were a LOT of brilliant people that applied to honours biology this year! I'll try again next year, it just sucks because I really had my heart set on bio for second year :(. I REALLY want to know what the cut-off was though.
I am kinda of in the same situation as you, my CA was a little lower than yours and I am in disapopointed I didnt get into Honours Bio. I would like to know the cutoff too. I have to decide betewwen Honours Psych vs Honours Life Sci now and am not too sure which one to choose.
Old 05-30-2010 at 01:10 PM   #17
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessa18 View Post
I am kinda of in the same situation as you, my CA was a little lower than yours and I am in disapopointed I didnt get into Honours Bio. I would like to know the cutoff too. I have to decide betewwen Honours Psych vs Honours Life Sci now and am not too sure which one to choose.
Honors Psych.
Old 05-30-2010 at 01:16 PM   #18
Karlee H.

Quote:
I would stick with honours life sci, I've looked into the courses for both programs and if honours bio is what you really want, taking honours life sci in second year will make it easy to transfer into honours bio in third year!
Old 05-30-2010 at 02:54 PM   #19
R633

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Honours Psych B.A or B.Sc?
Old 05-30-2010 at 10:38 PM   #20
nessa18

Quote:
Originally Posted by R633 View Post
Honours Psych B.A or B.Sc?
Its the B.Sc
Old 05-30-2010 at 10:42 PM   #21
nessa18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlee H. View Post
I would stick with honours life sci, I've looked into the courses for both programs and if honours bio is what you really want, taking honours life sci in second year will make it easy to transfer into honours bio in third year!
Actually I found that if I do Honours Psych it will be easier to transfer, I am still considering Honours BioPsych so I am leaning towards Honours Psych, I am so confused.
And I have another question, do Life Science courses transfer to Bio, for example would they take Life Sci 2B03 fOR Cell Bio 2B03 cause they are practically the same thing.
Old 05-30-2010 at 10:52 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Actually I found that if I do Honours Psych it will be easier to transfer, I am still considering Honours BioPsych so I am leaning towards Honours Psych, I am so confused.
And I have another question, do Life Science courses transfer to Bio, for example would they take Life Sci 2B03 fOR Cell Bio 2B03 cause they are practically the same thing.
If they are equivalent courses then I'm sure it'll be fine. Usually they have the courses separated like that to make it easier to save seats for those that require the course. For example, Kin 1Y03 and 1A03 are the same course, but A is for Kin students. That way they can save all those seats for the kin students and the rest is allocated to Y.
Old 05-31-2010 at 01:55 PM   #23
R633

Wah, the cutoff this year for hon. bio was 7.8 this year! Last year it was below 6.5...
Old 05-31-2010 at 05:27 PM   #24
Karlee H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub View Post
Best of luck, hope things work out!
So it turns out that the cut-off for bio core this year was a 7.8, and mol bio was an 8.5 ...

sana1504 likes this.
Old 05-31-2010 at 09:08 PM   #25
nessa18

I am not sure if I asked this before but how did you guys find out about the cutoff marks?
Old 05-31-2010 at 09:16 PM   #26
crys.eg

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
I am not sure if I asked this before but how did you guys find out about the cutoff marks?

They emailed some people. But I am sure, if you lurk around MACINSIDERS eventually there will be a post about all the programs... I know there is one for Engineering, it would be awesome if there was one for every faculty

sana1504 likes this.
Old 05-31-2010 at 09:33 PM   #27
sun.shine

Liked: 2 Times

This is sord of off-topic but are we required to do the thesis project in 4th year for Honours Life science?
Old 05-31-2010 at 09:37 PM   #28
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun.shine View Post
This is sord of off-topic but are we required to do the thesis project in 4th year for Honours Life science?
nope but there is an option available if you want to do that.

last year the average for h. bio was 6.0. quite a jump i guess
Old 05-31-2010 at 10:04 PM   #29
R633

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
nope but there is an option available if you want to do that.

last year the average for h. bio was 6.0. quite a jump i guess
Was that the actual cut off from which they chose students? Or just the minimum to qualify for the program?
Old 05-31-2010 at 10:29 PM   #30
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by R633 View Post
Was that the actual cut off from which they chose students? Or just the minimum to qualify for the program?
yes i heard that it was the actual cut off last year