MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I enter Honours Math and Physics or Honours Physics in 2nd year? Woodplank Academics 10 12-27-2014 11:52 PM
How hard is Honours Physics and Astronomy gibbonsio First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 11-19-2013 04:30 PM
Astrophysics? Medical Physics? Honours Physics? Engineering? Which to choose? tammy37 Academics 9 05-14-2009 02:11 AM
Honours Medical and Health Physics dnewton General Discussion 2 04-01-2009 09:18 PM
Honours Physics DeeNos Academics 1 02-26-2009 08:15 AM

Honours Physics?

Old 03-25-2017 at 09:41 PM   #1
ABCDEEE1234

Liked: 0 Times

Honours Physics?
Hi everyone,

There's been a while since anyone asked about the physics program, and I'm wondering if anyone in physics / knows people in physics / took upper year physics courses can give some insight

In your experience;

1) How difficult is physics?

2) Why is it difficult / not difficult?

3) How much did your grades drop (if they did) from first year? (and from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th)

Is there aspects which hard work cannot fix? Like for example, are there courses that have bs components that no matter how hard you try, you won't get 10+?

Also if you have any advice / comments about the program

Thanks
Old 03-26-2017 at 01:04 AM   #2
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

If you enjoy what you're studying then the answers to these questions shouldn't really matter. No matter how difficult the material can be, if you enjoy the subject then you will put in the extra effort to do well.
Old 03-26-2017 at 11:56 AM   #3
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

That's true. I went from an 88 in highschool physics to an F in first year because I suddenly hated it.
Old 03-26-2017 at 05:49 PM   #4
ABCDEEE1234

Imperious, I know what you mean that it's very important to like what you're learning, but I like too many things and I have to pick a second year program. I do believe that there should be some sort of objective answers (approximations) to the questions I asked. Especially the ones like:

Why did you feel it was difficult/not difficult

and

Did your grades drop? If so how much.

These are questions that are very straightforward and to be honest I'd like a straightforward answer back. I understand the importance of passion and I have it, I'm looking for some concrete opinions and advice.

And one more thing I'd like to add:

I think we've been somewhat brainwashed. We've constantly been told "Just do what you love!" as if University is going to last forever and you're never gonna have to get a job. University only lasts 4 years or so, and now you have to get a job. You may walk out with a potentially useless degree that won't do anything for you and with student loans. I 100% understand the importance of doing what I love, and I intend to. But I also don't want to get stuck with a BSc of science that will get me nowhere on its own AND with a bad GPA that wouldn't allow me to pursue further education like a msc or phd that MIGHT get me somewhere.

tl;dr --> I love physics, but I also don't wanna screw up my options for further study.

tl;dr 2.0 ---> Please just answer the questions if you can.

Last edited by ABCDEEE1234 : 03-26-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2017 at 05:02 PM   #5
old guy

Liked: 5 Times

You're right, don't do what you love. Do what gets you a stupid piece of paper that gives you the right to work for a living. The money you get from a job gives you the ability to do what you love in your own spare time.
Old 04-01-2017 at 08:26 PM   #6
UnicornRainbo

Career colleges, give you easy paper diploma, at cheaper price, claim, hands on experience, industry ready. Lot of bull crap.
Do what you can, in your way. Contemporary physical science is vibrant but too few openings, sucks. Talk to guys at McGill and Perimeter Institute at Kitchener. They know what to do with concepts, and come up with solutions to relevant issue in modern science. Doing problem sets in undergrad is stimulating, to push hard.
Old 04-02-2017 at 12:15 AM   #7
ABCDEEE1234

I agree that it's vibrant, but at the end of the day, we need to get a job. Regardless of how good you are at your field, you need to get a job. And apparently being good at something isn't always a good indicator that you will find a good job.

But you didn't really answer my questions, I'd like to get answers.

I understand that there are more important factors than the difficulty of the program, I definitely do. I just need to get these questions answered so I can make a more informed decision. But apparently, no one wants to just answer the question(s).
Old 04-02-2017 at 04:40 PM   #8
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCDEEE1234 View Post
I agree that it's vibrant, but at the end of the day, we need to get a job. Regardless of how good you are at your field, you need to get a job. And apparently being good at something isn't always a good indicator that you will find a good job.

But you didn't really answer my questions, I'd like to get answers.

I understand that there are more important factors than the difficulty of the program, I definitely do. I just need to get these questions answered so I can make a more informed decision. But apparently, no one wants to just answer the question(s).
There. You answered your own question.
Old 04-02-2017 at 11:12 PM   #9
ABCDEEE1234

Alright I give up. Lol