MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How's my Timetable? Gorn Academics 3 06-19-2012 06:17 AM
how's second year? luna General Discussion 18 08-30-2011 06:38 PM
How's my timetable look so far? omgwtfitsp First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-15-2011 12:44 PM
How's your first day?! lawleypop General Discussion 53 09-11-2009 12:29 PM
How's This Course Load? zango First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 07-08-2008 08:14 PM

How's commuting?

Old 07-25-2012 at 07:42 PM   #1
karsyliss

Liked: 5 Times

How's commuting?
Hey hey!

So this year I'll be commuting to Mac and I wanted to know how the commute was like? Was it beneficial or a waste of time? Like for me it takes approx 45 mins to an hour (by GO) to get to Mac. But, I was advised that commuting from where I lived was gonna be really hard esp during the winter. So I need feedback because I feel that with an unsure course load and my horrible time management skills this won't work out but, at the same time it's my only option available at the moment. Bleh :L
Old 07-25-2012 at 07:53 PM   #2
guptas46

Liked: 9 Times

it really truly depends. I never commuted but I thought about it.

on the one hand, having my parents to provide food, and a kick in the ass when i'm slacking off would probably be a good thing, but using public trans isn't ALWAYS ideal.

Realistically you have to add time to get to the bus stop, and think about what will happen if you miss your bus, your bus gets caught in traffic, or your bus is straight up late. all these things are pretty rare, but they happen. On the other hand, living in rez i used to roll out of bed maybe 20-30 min before class? once i slept in to five min before class and i was only 2-3 min late. (i was nasty as hell though )

Also you might be encouraged to spend your time in between classes in the library instead of (like me) napping if you have a bed available nearby. Also people are pretty good at doing work on the bus (if you get a seat).

So honestly and truly it depends on you. It also depends on your financial situation, how much do you lose by shelling out for rez or to rent a room.. that sorta deal.

sorry if my post is a little choppy, hope i helped!

karsyliss says thanks to guptas46 for this post.
Old 07-25-2012 at 07:53 PM   #3
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

45 minutes is nothing. loads of people commute from sauga and do just fine. 45 min break during a bus ride isnt much anyways and if you wanted you could read on it anyways. you'll be fine with a full course load and a 45 min commute.

AsealMusleh, karsyliss all say thanks to Silver for this post.

drpatel likes this.
Old 07-25-2012 at 07:55 PM   #4
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

The thing about courses is that they can end up very spread out unless you got your timetable really well planned out. Don't be suprised if you end up with a 8:30 class then nothing for 3 hours.

So... I would advise making friends that live in rez, or being prepared to camp at a library for a few hours if it comes to that.

karsyliss says thanks to JEFF_CHAN for this post.
Old 07-25-2012 at 08:07 PM   #5
karsyliss

the morning classes is what is going to kill me but, in the end i know those are the classes that are totally unavoidable. Thanks for the heads up! :-)
Old 07-25-2012 at 08:10 PM   #6
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

It's fine. You'll learn to manage your time better. It isn't that hard to make a commuter friendly schedule. I managed just fine for 4 years. I've only had like 2 or 3 8:30 classes in 4 years. You'll learn to be very productive during breaks. In fact, I'm much more productive during breaks than when I go home. It'll be tiring for a few weeks and then it'll get better. I've never really been late due to GO bus issues. I always take an earlier bus for important things like exams and stuff to avoid that.

karsyliss says thanks to Harlequin for this post.
Old 07-25-2012 at 08:13 PM   #7
karsyliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
It's fine. You'll learn to manage your time better. It isn't that hard to make a commuter friendly schedule. I managed just fine for 4 years. I've only had like 2 or 3 8:30 classes in 4 years. You'll learn to be very productive during breaks. In fact, I'm much more productive during breaks than when I go home. It'll be tiring for a few weeks and then it'll get better. I've never really been late due to GO bus issues. I always take an earlier bus for important things like exams and stuff to avoid that.
Ah okay. Then that's a good thing. Question! How were the winters when it comes to travelling on the GO?
Old 07-25-2012 at 08:15 PM   #8
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsyliss View Post
Ah okay. Then that's a good thing. Question! How were the winters when it comes to travelling on the GO?
Other than the cold, it wasn't unbearable. They have heaters on the bus and accommodate to our freezing asses.

karsyliss says thanks to sinnersdrown for this post.
Old 07-25-2012 at 08:18 PM   #9
karsyliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnersdrown View Post
Other than the cold, it wasn't unbearable. They have heaters on the bus and accommodate to our freezing asses.
Aha! Cool cool. That's all I needed to know :-D
Old 07-25-2012 at 08:19 PM   #10
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I haven't had to commute for school since I live in Hamilton - although it's still about a 20 minute bus ride for me, plus almost 10 minutes to walk to the bus stop. However, I am on a coop term right now, and I commute to Toronto every day. It takes me about 20 minutes to get from the bus stop by my house to the GO station, and from there it takes usually about an hour to get to Union station, sometimes up to an hour and a half if the traffic is heavy. I get to Union at about 830 most days and walk to work from there, which only takes five minutes or so. I'm supposed to start at 9 but I'm always there early. Then I finish work at 6 and walk back to Union and do the whole trip in reverse and get home just before 8, most of the time.

Basically, my work day + commute means I leave home at 6:30AM and get home at 7:30PM. About three hours of that time is spent on buses. So if you have to spend an hour and a half per day on buses for your school commute... IMO that is not bad at all, lol.

karsyliss says thanks to Andrew A for this post.
Old 07-25-2012 at 08:22 PM   #11
karsyliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
I haven't had to commute for school since I live in Hamilton - although it's still about a 20 minute bus ride for me, plus almost 10 minutes to walk to the bus stop. However, I am on a coop term right now, and I commute to Toronto every day. It takes me about 20 minutes to get from the bus stop by my house to the GO station, and from there it takes usually about an hour to get to Union station, sometimes up to an hour and a half if the traffic is heavy. I get to Union at about 830 most days and walk to work from there, which only takes five minutes or so. I'm supposed to start at 9 but I'm always there early. Then I finish work at 6 and walk back to Union and do the whole trip in reverse and get home just before 8, most of the time.

Basically, my work day + commute means I leave home at 6:30AM and get home at 7:30PM. About three hours of that time is spent on buses. So if you have to spend an hour and a half per day on buses for your school commute... IMO that is not bad at all, lol.
That's um... hectic! But yeah if I learn to manage my time efficiently I should be able to hopefully do it *fingers crossed*
Old 07-25-2012 at 08:32 PM   #12
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

I commuted 1.5 hours each way this past year and I did just fine. Yeah you might miss out on a few things now and then but you'll be fine. At least you'll save a TON of money compared to people rez-ing or offcampusing!
plus, catch up on sleep on the bus. You wouldn't believe how comfy the GO buses can be early in the morning and/or late at night.

karsyliss likes this.
Old 07-25-2012 at 08:34 PM   #13
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

I live in Hamilton, so I commute everyday to school..it takes about 15-20 minutes to get to downtown, another 15 minutes to get to mac and 10 minutes waiting for the bus her and there...so it takes me about 40-45 minutes to get to mac... coming back takes about an hour...you should be fine if you have to commute 45 minutes everyday, it's not that bad.

I had friends in first year engineering who used to commute from Mississauga and it used to take them about 45 minutes..so you should be fine as long as you study hard and mange your time well You can always study on the go bus..or just take a nap

karsyliss likes this.
Old 07-25-2012 at 08:38 PM   #14
Afsha-noon

Liked: 11 Times

My brother does it and I'll be doing it from sauga next year. Apparently its not bad at all! Just managing time as everyone else is saying 8)
Plus, if you make some friends on res, and are reaaaally tired during a break, you can just crash there =)

drpatel, karsyliss like this.
Old 07-25-2012 at 09:23 PM   #15
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

I commute everyday, that's only because I live in Hamilton and it takes 2 city buses to get to school. It takes me about 45 min to an hour to get there and back. It is not that bad commuting, you just have to learn to leave at a certain time to get to your classes on time. I've been doing it for almost 3 years and I am always on time getting to school.

karsyliss likes this.