MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inquiry 1SS3 C06 damelio Academics 0 09-09-2011 11:35 AM
Inquiry 1HU3/1SS3 twinsora First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 07-08-2011 10:22 PM
Inquiry 1SS3 Details? samir2 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 01-24-2011 10:55 PM
inquiry 1SS3 ? kirsten..! Academics 2 06-16-2010 09:48 AM

Inquiry 1SS3

Old 08-13-2012 at 07:25 PM   #1
Sara1234

Liked: 4 Times

Inquiry 1SS3
Im taking the course Soc Sci Inquiry 1SS3 in second semester. I heard it was very beneficial to take it first semester although i would have to change my whole schedule around to occupy that. Is that really necessary or is it fine to take it in 2nd semester?
Old 08-13-2012 at 08:54 PM   #2
mousse

Liked: 0 Times

I took it in first semester and I found it very beneficial. I'm not very good in writing, I have a hard time getting my thoughts out into the proper words. Inquiry 1SS3 really helped me get a lot of practice and know some tricks on writing a good paper. I had to write a term paper instead of an exam for Inquiry, and it really helped with the long essays I had to write in my second semester. I would say it depends on how your schedule will look like after you accomodate Inquiry into it, and if you are able to make a timetable with little breaks inbetween or whatever your preference is. I am not someone who likes to wake up early in the morning, and if I ended up having to wake up really early and leave school really late, then I would not change it. To answer your question, no, it is not necessary, especially if you are fine with your writing skills. I think it's already good that you are taking it in the first place.
Old 08-14-2012 at 12:04 PM   #3
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

No difference if you take it second semester. The course when i took it was very straight forward and perhaps one of my easiest classes (i got an A in it)... In a nutshell what the course does is break down the steps to writing an essay for you in simpler form (and so you can earn marks)... The general process of how essay writing is broken down is what can be extra beneficial for your university career... (ie. start with a bibliography, then proceed to create an annotated bibliography, start up an essay proposal organizing your ideas from your sources, then essay draft)

Its a good course, but I dont think taking it second semester will be bad for you unless you are an absolutely horrible essay writer.
Old 08-14-2012 at 01:23 PM   #4
Sara1234

Liked: 4 Times

thank youuu i changed it to first semester as I'm not the best at writing essays
Old 08-14-2012 at 05:45 PM   #5
Ever

Inquiry 1SS3...is this course similar to soc sci 1ss3?

I mean do they teach similar materials?
Old 08-14-2012 at 09:41 PM   #6
jamiewang

Soc Sci 1SS3 and Inquiry 1SS3 are the same course . And Cudos on changing it to first semester, I found it pretty helpful in understanding what professors expect from essays, bibliographies and other kinds of papers in first year.

Also don't buy all the required text books unless you actually plan on reading them all.
Old 08-15-2012 at 12:21 AM   #7
Lana02

Liked: 5 Times

was probably one of the best courses I took first year! it really helped a lot with essay writing!! Plus it was a easy mark, I got an A and many of my friends did as well! hopefully you have Dr. Aspenlieder she is a great prof!