MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inquiry 1SC3 batman 1st Year Course Reviews 7 12-30-2011 02:12 PM
Inquiry 1hu3 Inquiry In The Humanities Chad 1st Year Course Reviews 13 09-08-2010 11:46 PM
Inquiry 1HU3 what what what AelyaS Academics 2 08-11-2010 06:48 AM
inquiry 1SS3 ? kirsten..! Academics 2 06-16-2010 09:48 AM
Inquiry 1SC3 nuttynatz Academics 5 06-26-2008 01:15 PM

Inquiry Profs

Old 08-09-2010 at 04:50 PM   #1
Qadd

Liked: 3 Times

Inquiry Profs
I was just looking at ratemyprof, and found that there was not much on inquiry profs. Does the inquiry prof I get really matter?

Right now, I'm debating between Secord-Gilbert (C03), and Harnish (C04).

My plan B is between Colangelo (C06) and Landicho (C08)

Also, How reliable is ratemyprof? because I'm making some decisions based on it XD.

Thanks a lot =)
Old 08-09-2010 at 04:57 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadd View Post
I was just looking at ratemyprof, and found that there was not much on inquiry profs. Does the inquiry prof I get really matter?

Right now, I'm debating between Secord-Gilbert (C03), and Harnish (C04).

My plan B is between Colangelo (C06) and Landicho (C08)

Also, How reliable is ratemyprof? because I'm making some decisions based on it XD.

Thanks a lot =)
Take ratemyprof with a grain of salt. Someone with a really bad experience could go on there just to vent, or conversely someone with a really good experience with that prof could go and write a glowing review, even though that doesn't really reflect the majority opinion. Also, profs improve over the years, so older reviews are less accurate. It depends what course the reviewer took with the prof, since some profs are amazing in certain courses but terrible in others.

I don't know much about health sci inquiry, but goal of any inquiry course is self-directed learning, therefore the prof shouldn't matter *too* much. I've heard Harnish is good, but that's just hearsay--I have no personal experience with any of them.

Qadd says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 08-09-2010 at 04:59 PM   #3
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

First off, inquiry is a class without profs, they are led by facilitators and peer tutors. That being said, there aren't many reviews on that.

Every class will come out with a different experience..

Last year, we weren't allowed to switch inquiry classes, I'm not sure if that changed this year. But last year, whichever core you're assigned is what you have to take, as to ensure even distribution and class size.

I've heard great things about Secord, Harnish would be Del, who is amazing as you'll soon learn.

I personally had Colangelo, and had the most fantastic and valuable experience in inquiry.

Inquiry is the kind of class where it's all about what YOU take out of it, how you interact with your peers, and the goals you set for yourself. The facilitator is definitely not the most important part of it.

I still don't think you can change your inquiry core, but those are just my opinions based on my experience with inquiry.
Old 08-09-2010 at 05:01 PM   #4
emtee10
Mac Lifer

Liked: 49 Times

Lauren got it right. Your experience will depend more on you than it will on your prof.

I've never had any of those profs for Inquiry (I had Debbie Nifakis four years ago) but have worked with most of them in other contexts. You don't have anything to worry about, you'll enjoy the course with any of them.
Old 08-09-2010 at 05:05 PM   #5
Qadd

Thank you all, I currently have secord, so i guess ill just stick with him (or her?), lol
Old 08-09-2010 at 05:07 PM   #6
emtee10
Mac Lifer

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadd View Post
Thank you all, I currently have secord, so i guess ill just stick with him (or her?), lol
Her
Old 08-09-2010 at 05:09 PM   #7
Qadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee10 View Post
Her
hehe, thanks
Old 08-25-2010 at 03:19 PM   #8
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

How is PK Rangachari as a facilitator?