MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meal plan for international exchange student gallagherorla Bates Forum 9 03-11-2014 07:17 AM
Grad Student looking for Accommodation aliceglen Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 2 06-05-2011 09:45 PM
Becoming International Student Infinity General Discussion 2 11-19-2009 11:12 PM
International Student Volunteers swissformula General Discussion 20 11-05-2009 09:08 PM
Co-op for international student? mikefung Academics 1 06-06-2008 10:51 PM

International PhD student looking for accommodation

Old 07-07-2014 at 08:21 AM   #1
ssharma

Liked: 0 Times

International PhD student looking for accommodation
Hi!

I am an international student from India joining Mac as a PhD student this fall and looking for off-campus accommodation. As I do not know anyone in Hamilton I am seeking help through this forum. I am looking for a quiet, clean place closer to Mac with a little freedom/privacy. What would be the expected rent? What is better a room in a landlord's house or an individual apartment? Would it be wise to start with a month or two of sublet and then look for a more permanent place? I am also open to sharing a two bedroom accommodation with someone, if possible.
Please bear with my barrage of questions and help in my house hunting.
Old 07-07-2014 at 12:30 PM   #2
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Expected rent can be anywhere from $300 - $500. Generally rent is $300 or $350 for a basement or if the house is far off from the campus. Having stayed in the basement a couple times, I would highly recommend against it as it's damp and laden with bugs. Again, this may not always be the case, but after speaking to a number of people, I've come to this conclusion. There are more expensive basement rooms with rent ranging from $400-$450, which are definitely nicer and cleaner.

Landlord's house or an individual apartment is a personal choice. The cons of having the landlord in the same house is that they can keep reminding you if you're too loud with your music, etc. On the plus side, if there is a problem with, say the shower faucet, you can get hold of the landlord sooner and get it fixed.

If you haven't already come across it, this is a good place to start looking:
https://macoffcampus.mcmaster .ca/classifieds/
Old 07-07-2014 at 03:08 PM   #3
ssharma

Thanks a lot Nik!
I have been looking through Mac offcampus classifieds. Most of the affordable options there are student rentals with rent of 300-500$. I am wondering if getting privacy and peace would be an issue at these places.
I am also scanning through Kijiji & Craigslist but since I can not be physically present to see the actual condition, how would you suggest I should proceed?
Thanks again!
Old 07-07-2014 at 03:19 PM   #4
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Yeah that can be tricky. Best advice would be that when you contact the landlord for a place, you inquire about the people who are going to be your roommates. If they are grad students as well, it'll tend to be peaceful more often than not. If they are undergrads, there is a possibility of the undergrads making more noise.

I'd suggest, if you can, come a few days early to Hamilton and look at the rooms and only then sign the lease. Of course, by then, many good places might get rented out.

ssharma says thanks to nikJ for this post.
Old 07-07-2014 at 09:23 PM   #5
BilluRises

Liked: 3 Times

eyy fellow Indian, I have no idea about places to live but if you need a hair cut holla!
Old 07-07-2014 at 10:44 PM   #6
jaywa
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 9 Times

Also take a look at this group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/machousing/

Snowman says thanks to jaywa for this post.

Snowman likes this.
Old 10-22-2014 at 10:27 PM   #7
motar2

If you are still looking for accommodation or if someone from India is looking for accommodation I can provide them accommodation anytime from December 1st. I have recently joined this forum hope this helps everyone. Please email me. thank you