MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about Mobile service providers AlicJ Computers & Tech 14 08-25-2013 07:11 PM
Comparison of different Internet providers WeRunTheCity Computers & Tech 7 08-22-2012 09:15 AM
Best/Cheapest Internet Service Providers in Hamilton? InsideMINDS Computers & Tech 27 09-07-2011 08:32 AM
internet service providers bowlerman13 Computers & Tech 31 10-30-2010 06:05 AM
Internet Service Providers Deegs14 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 35 08-31-2010 11:14 AM

Internet service providers

Old 07-10-2017 at 11:03 AM   #1
Phoenix95

Liked: 2 Times

Internet service providers
Does anyone have good suggestions for budget friendly internet service providers? All I need is decent price with good speed and unlimited usage if possible.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2017 at 09:27 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Teksavvy and Start are the only decent ones. They lease the lines from Bell and Cogeco which supposedly is a bad thing (somehow), but are half the price the major companies ask.

Cogeco's prices are similar to Teksavvy or Start only for first 6 months, after that they charge you twice as much (the usual rates). Their quality of service is okay, but they do a lot of maintenance after midnight and until morning so you might not get stable connection at that time (so be prudent about your file uploads, you might not get the chance to meet the midnight or morning deadline).

Bell just sucks. Everything about them blows ass.

Phoenix95 says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.
Old 07-11-2017 at 03:37 PM   #3
Phoenix95

Liked: 2 Times

So both TekSavvy and Start might be unstable at night? What's considered a decent speed for upload/download?
Old 07-12-2017 at 01:01 PM   #4
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix95 View Post
So both TekSavvy and Start might be unstable at night? What's considered a decent speed for upload/download?
It depends on many factors, but while Start's lines are the same as Cogeco's, I don't think the hardware is. So I don't think Cogeco's night maintenance will affect Start or anything.

50/10 Mbps (down/up) is standard and is fine for me to have 6 devices. Anything beyond is just bonus. Bandwidth is the big issue, TekSavvy and Start have unlimited plans (as well as unlimited bandwidth at night) while Cogeco and Bell will charge you twice as much for same speed but limited bandwidth. Right now my bw is limited to 256 gigs and so I'm forced to watch Netflix in SD like a caveman.