MacInsiders Logo

This just in:

Old 12-11-2010 at 01:08 AM   #31
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Shit! I forgot I skipped cell bio that week of the second midterm because I had 3 midterms in that week.

Never heard of these "CAMs" before...
Old 12-11-2010 at 01:11 AM   #32
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Okay, I seem to be okay with the stuff, so:

Textbook is pretty useless, I only used it a couple of times when I really didn't get something and online was too in depth to help.

E.g., the MAP Kinase pathway according to wiki:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...APKpathway.jpg

I shat brix when I saw that.

Anyway, what I did was basically I created a really basic outline for each week, so start off by just putting sub-headings of the most generic stuff (Cell Cycle, Checkpoints, Mitosis, Map Kinase, etc) from the week's material.

Then as you go through the slides (quickly) start fleshing things in, and getting more and more detailed.

I find using that approach helps you remember because instead of blindly remembering pathways and random things, you'll remember WHERE they were inputted in your notes and thus what the point of them is.

ikantsepll says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.

Rakim, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 12-11-2010 at 01:12 AM   #33
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
Shit! I forgot I skipped cell bio that week of the second midterm because I had 3 midterms in that week.

Never heard of these "CAMs" before...
Breathe!! Theyr're pretty straightforward-ish. Just cell-cell adhesion and cell-extracellular matrix adhesion molecules.

@ Alchemist11- OMG. I nearly had a heartattack with that diagram. Guess that's what 3rd year looks like...

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 12-11-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-11-2010 at 01:20 AM   #34
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Breathe!! Theyr're pretty straightforward-ish. Just cell-cell adhesion and cell-extracellular matrix adhesion molecules.

@ Alchemist11- OMG. I nearly had a heartattack with that diagram. Guess that's what 3rd year looks like...
SWEET! That lecture ends with plant stuff, and we both have an edge on that material already

I guess you're right, and with two sources saying no textbook readin, maybe I can sneak in a nap from now till exam time

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 12-11-2010 at 01:22 AM   #35
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

THINGS WERE GOING SO WELL
THEN YOU GUYS JUST HAD TO GO AND MAKE ME POO MYSELF

guuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh

Old 12-11-2010 at 01:30 AM   #36
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

holy **** @ that pathway
Old 12-11-2010 at 01:35 AM   #37
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

@ Farid- Haha you know it . That's why it was so much easier to get through that module than the rest. And it gives you sort of a confidence boost, temporary that is . Not to scare you or anything!

@ Kendoon- Excited for more Bio? I can tell!
Old 12-11-2010 at 01:42 AM   #38
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

this was like microbio for me. i expected it to be such an amazng course and holy crap was i so wrong. bio at our school isnt taught well at all. im debating not studying for it honestly i'd fail either way. not lookin forward to cell bio next term
Old 12-11-2010 at 01:45 AM   #39
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
this was like microbio for me. i expected it to be such an amazng course and holy crap was i so wrong. bio at our school isnt taught well at all. im debating not studying for it honestly i'd fail either way. not lookin forward to cell bio next term
You never know, maybe Dr. Dej will deal with the course differently, with less insane midterms.
Old 12-11-2010 at 01:49 AM   #40
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
I haven't had the pleasure of taking microbio, but from what I've heard from other people, Genetics isn't gonna be any fun either

We need profs like Boreham (1A03) to lighten up bio courses like in first year! It's been a struggle trying to stay awake this semester.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 12-11-2010 at 02:06 AM   #41
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
I haven't had the pleasure of taking microbio, but from what I've heard from other people, Genetics isn't gonna be any fun either

We need profs like Boreham (1A03) to lighten up bio courses like in first year! It's been a struggle trying to stay awake this semester.
Add Bio 2A03 to that list too. Apparently there's 3 formal lab reports + 1 bad prof teaching it alongside McLelland, and details, etc. BUT at least it's physiology. I've had enough of cells! Although, I have a feeling cells might still be involved next term :(
Old 12-11-2010 at 02:26 AM   #42
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

I'm in Commerce.

Rakim likes this.
Old 12-11-2010 at 05:20 AM   #43
mlangille

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
I'm in Commerce.
then I am sure you love hearomg how much us science kids hate our lives right about now....

oh and Cell Bio can COMD- I'm already pushing 50 pages on my review and still have no clue what Im reading when it comes to all of the ridiculous details cell-cycle regulation
Old 12-11-2010 at 05:30 AM   #44
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Sounds like you need to go to your profs during their office hours.. :S
Old 12-11-2010 at 05:38 AM   #45
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Sounds like you need to go to your profs during their office hours.. :S
Sounds like you haven't read the rest of the thread, we're all just ranting before the exam
_____________________ _____________________ _____________________ ______________

Back to topic: Do you guys think she will test us on details like this one:

Sequence = RxxLxxxxN/Q (x = any amino acid, R = arginine, L = leucine, N/Q is Asparagine or Glutamine)

It was mentioned on slide 43 of week 10 regarding APC/C-chd1 targeting cyclin B's D-box...think we need to memorize that sequence?