MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kinesiology Co-op Bee9 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 04-06-2011 04:13 PM
Kinesiology I UH2010 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 12-31-2010 03:01 PM
Kinesiology hello395 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-17-2008 05:02 PM
kinesiology shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-26-2008 05:14 PM

Kinesiology Labs ?

Old 08-10-2011 at 07:09 AM   #1
-Ish-

Liked: 56 Times

Kinesiology Labs ?
Has anyone taken Kinese labs before ? If so, can you rate as to how difficult they are ?
I have the option of either pairing Chem & Kinese labs together in the same week OR Bio and Chem labs in the same week. Which do you think will be a better option..

Thanks
Old 08-10-2011 at 08:28 AM   #2
bumbum

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Kin labs are super easy. Very little prep needed and never anything you have to take home. And if you don't understand something, the TAs will explain it to you. So I would say put chem and kin together as bio is a bit more work than kin.

-Ish- says thanks to bumbum for this post.
Old 08-10-2011 at 09:31 AM   #3
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

How do you know if labs will go together or not! Are even lab numbers one week and odd ones another?
Old 08-10-2011 at 09:34 AM   #4
bumbum

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkolb31 View Post
How do you know if labs will go together or not! Are even lab numbers one week and odd ones another?
Yeah. You find out which lab sections are which week on the first day of class.
Old 08-10-2011 at 09:36 AM   #5
Philipp31
Elite Member

Ahh okay, thanks
Old 08-10-2011 at 03:44 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Definitely pair up Kin and Chem. However, you can't pair them up now, because you don't know which week will be even and which will be odd labs for either class. So just puck a timeslot that's best for you and you can change around your labs when school starts if they happen to fall all during the same week or something .

-Ish- says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-10-2011 at 04:07 PM   #7
StevenLiang

Liked: 2 Times

For kin labs, you just need to do a online quiz before the week of your lab, worth 2% of your total. There are 5 labs I believe. You need to show up for the lab to get that 2% (yes attendance is taken). If you get perfect on a lab quiz but don't show up for the lab, then you get 0% for that lab quiz. The quizzes are the only evaluations for the labs.

-Ish- says thanks to StevenLiang for this post.
Old 08-10-2011 at 04:11 PM   #8
Philipp31
Elite Member

So the actual lab part is (despite attendance being mandatory) isnt marked?
Old 08-10-2011 at 04:14 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
So the actual lab part is (despite attendance being mandatory) isnt marked?
There's no actual lab part, really. You just show up, look at things, dissect (if there is a dissection), check your name on the attendance and you get your 2% !

-Ish- says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-10-2011 at 04:23 PM   #10
Philipp31
Elite Member

Ahh gotcha! And whie were at it, what are the bio 1ao3 labs like?
Old 08-10-2011 at 04:40 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Ahh gotcha! And whie were at it, what are the bio 1ao3 labs like?
Bio 1A03 labs are a little more intense, for first year anyway. During the first week or two of class, you'll have 3 skills lab to complete as prep for your real labs and to ensure everyone knows the basic techniques and it counts as a 3% completion mark towards yoru grade. For us (2 years ago), they were as follows:
-Using the Micropipette
-Aseptic Techniques
-Microscopy.

There will be TA's there to help you and you need their signature to show that you've successfully completed your skills labs. As for the actual labs, there was no pre-lab, however, from what I remember, you need to write down purpose, hypothesis, materials, etc before the lab, because you won't have time to write them in lab. And draw any tables and such that are needed. Basically prep everything that you can do out of lab to minimize your writing in lab. You get this information based on the lab documents that you print out off of Avenue but just put it in your own words/summarize them. And at the end of the experiment, you take down your observations and include anything the TA asked for so that he/she can sign the end of your lab before you leave. IN other words, you can'd add in any more info after the TA has signed it and you weren't allowed to leave any blank spaces (large chunks or) anything. My TA was pretty strict about that though, I'm not sure if all the TA's were like that.

The informal labs included an 1% quiz for each, they were:
Biological Molecules: involved paper chromatography, and separation of 2 amino acids.
Microscopy: Using 2 bacteria and growing them in-culture, looking at variability within plant cell size, and also looking at other cell-types.
Microbio and antibiotics: Using antibiotics on the 2 bacteria cultures made in lab 2 (E.Coli and M.Luteus) and looking at the efficacy of 4 antibiotics on both.
DNA Analysis: Running Gel electrophoresis with DNA

And there was one formal lab..

Recent course outline: http://bio.mcmaster.ca/courses/ugrad... 02010-11.pdf

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 08-10-2011 at 04:50 PM.

-Ish-, justlily, Philipp31 all say thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

Philipp31 likes this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 06:03 PM   #12
jayyenn

kin labs are also very interesting, plus easy marks (:
Old 08-17-2011 at 07:09 PM   #13
tazmania123

Liked: 7 Times

i was wondering if you'd recommend whether having a gap/break before a kin lab is necessary. otherwise i'd move a lecture immediately before the lab to free up my schedule. i know bio/chem/phys labs require a decent amount of prep time. do all labs take prep time?
Old 08-24-2011 at 11:18 AM   #14
Naikh2

Liked: 0 Times

taking a lab right after class in kinesiology is not a bad idea. labs are not too much work or too intense so you won't feel like you have too much going on in a row. Also labs usually end earlier then the time slot given so you should be fine