MacInsiders Logo

Krepski vs. Lozinski?

Old 08-19-2011 at 07:30 AM   #1
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Krepski vs. Lozinski?
Any input on which prof is better? I've only ever heard of Lozinski, so I'm not sure whether one is any better than the other.
Old 08-19-2011 at 07:38 AM   #2
karna

Liked: 28 Times

they both are good. i had lozinski for 1a03 and krepski for 1aa3
Old 08-19-2011 at 07:38 AM   #3
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Stay away from Lozinski as much as you can. He is HORRIBLE. messy, bad, and just the worst. never hated a math prof like this before.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 08-19-2011 at 07:41 AM   #4
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Aaargh, is he really that terrible?!

EDIT: Karna, could you elaborate a little more on their teaching methods? Thank you!
Old 08-19-2011 at 07:58 AM   #5
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Mr. Lozinski literally takes a piece of transparent plastic and writes and writes on it some weird math, he never puts down numbers he makes examples using letters, so the whole class u are sitting there watching fukcery going on, then the class is over and he did not even come to the important part which is application. HE DOES NOT SHOW U REAL EXAMPLES. Then he gets his ass to his office and scans those transparent papers and uploads them to avenue. but the funny thing is if you did not benefit from his notes in class, guess what? you wont benefit from them at home.

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 08-19-2011 at 08:53 AM   #6
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

Krepski for sure, had him last year for 1B03.
Old 08-19-2011 at 09:01 AM   #7
yut24

Liked: 2 Times

I found Lozinski to be an awesome prof personally, but not sure about Krepski to be honest. When I had him, he wrote everything so it was easy to review later.

In regards to L'Étoile's comment, all math is done with letters at the advanced level cause numbers are static and letters denote variables which basically generalizes the concept he's trying to teach. Even if he had done examples with numbers, the concept would still have appeared like "fukcery"

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 08-19-2011 at 09:09 AM   #8
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Thats not true, I went to other classes of other profs and they did explain the "fukcery" in a way that made it seem understandable. they explained it using variables and then showed exampleS using numbers to prove their point and it worked out very well. I know and understand that math uses variables and I understand all that jazz, he just does not use numbers at all.

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 08-19-2011 at 10:36 AM   #9
James1001

Liked: 5 Times

To clear this issue up...

Lozinski is a very intelligent prof....he just poorly conveys his knowledge to his students. If you go and ask him or a TA to explain something either during or after class, they take the time to get you to understand.

So in short, Lozinski's classes can be a bit confusing at times but if you seek help when you need it, you'll be fine
Old 08-19-2011 at 10:48 AM   #10
SC04

Liked: 4 Times

I had Lozinski for a Stats class and I thought he was really good for the most part. He was relaxed and pretty funny, but we still were able to cover a lot of material. He's patient with questions so, to echo others, just ask if you don't understand. If you have issues with him not providing enough real world examples then go mention it to him and ask him to provide some. In the Stats class at least, I didn't find real world examples to be lacking though.
Old 08-19-2011 at 10:54 AM   #11
ShadowPlay
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 30 Times

I've never had Krespski, but I had Lozinski for 1B03 and thought he was great. That was a couple years ago though, so I can't really remember specifically what it was I liked about him.
Old 08-19-2011 at 11:12 AM   #12
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
Thats not true, I went to other classes of other profs and they did explain the "fukcery" in a way that made it seem understandable. they explained it using variables and then showed exampleS using numbers to prove their point and it worked out very well. I know and understand that math uses variables and I understand all that jazz, he just does not use numbers at all.
for guys like him (Phd etc..)using numbers in math is actually a big no-no, its the equivalent of saying "well my dog is red,therefore all animals red" its too specific, it what makes real math (not computations) so difficult it has to encompass every single example possible, all it takes is one scenario to disprove a theory.
Old 08-19-2011 at 11:16 AM   #13
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

i had lozinski for math 1ls3 last term and i hated him with a passion. his examples and notes sucked and his writing was horrible. and his midterm tests were hard (although he did ease up on the last two midterms).
Old 08-19-2011 at 11:28 AM   #14
karna

Liked: 28 Times

agree with everyone that his teaching style is kind of weird, but I personally didnt have any problem. and he explains it very well if you go to his office hours. his tests are kind of hard but if they both are teaching the same course, the tests will be the same so it should not be a concern if you choose either of them.
Old 08-19-2011 at 04:03 PM   #15
mally

Liked: 4 Times

I had Dr. Lozinki for 1B03 and I really liked it. He's a very knowledgeable and helpful professor. Most of the things he taught made sense to me and I thoroughly enjoyed his lectures. If I didn't understand anything, I would usually go after class or during his office hours and he would really help me out.

I had Dr. Krepski for 1AA3. He's a very good professor as well. He knows his stuff and is pretty good at explaining it. I never felt bored in his class and had fun studying the course.

So both professors are pretty good. Check out both their lectures during the first week and see if you like one's teaching style better than the others.