MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Labour Studies or Hth Age? hello12311 Academics 6 07-09-2012 10:42 PM
labour studies help kwanuing Academics 0 02-15-2012 11:36 PM
LABOUR STUDIES 1A03 or COMMUNICATION STUDIES? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-28-2009 05:43 PM

Labour Studies Question

Old 07-25-2012 at 09:53 PM   #1
hello12311
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Labour Studies Question
Hello, I'm having some difficulty choosing electives, and was wondering if anyone took "1A03" or "1C03". I can't seem to find any reviews, so any help would be appreciated!
Old 07-26-2012 at 03:11 PM   #2
hello12311
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

can anybody help????
Old 07-26-2012 at 04:03 PM   #3
Brendan

Liked: 13 Times

You might want to take a look at some of the posts in this thread: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...5.html?t=62305
Old 07-26-2012 at 07:02 PM   #4
Con19

Liked: 4 Times

http://www.labourstudies.mcm aster....ourse-outlines
Old 07-31-2012 at 06:06 PM   #5
camelie

Liked: 0 Times

I took 1C03 last year in term 2. It looks like the prof is going to be different this year, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Lots of people found it boring. I did not. If you're into labour relations & class struggles it'll probably be more interesting to you, but just trying to pay attention and get into it will help you a lot (that's what I did). Don't try to memorize the information, try to understand it.

The workload wasn't bad in terms of tests and assignments--we had one midterm (short answer) and a paper (I think it was something like 5 pages dbl spaced), and of course, a final exam (I think it was short answer and 2 essays). The prof was extremely generous in giving hints on what was on the midterm and final. If you did the readings, it was fairly easy.

If you hate reading, do not take this course. There is no way that you can do well if you don't do at least some of the readings. The textbook wasn't all that difficult to read (no flowery, pretentious writing), but sometimes there are a lot of pages in a chapter. My advice is to split up the reading over 2 days (at least) so it's not so overwhelming. The average chapter had about 30 pages, just like almost every other first year social science textbook that I've seen. There are some charts in there, but no pictures, so it's mostly solid reading.

If you have a hard time getting your ideas in writing, I wouldn't take this course if the tests and assignments are the same. Best thing to do is check the course outline first.