MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chemistry Labs Jason036 Academics 3 08-10-2010 03:04 PM
Labs Steph Butter Academics 2 01-18-2010 05:49 PM
Labs and Tutorials hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-30-2009 01:20 PM
KIN 2CC3 labs litadumas Academics 2 06-23-2009 10:14 PM

Labs

Old 07-30-2010 at 02:06 AM   #1
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Labs
I'm on a roll here xD
okay so, while planning my schedule I noticed that some courses have labs that aren't labelled as EOW.
that means they are just every week, right?
also, for labs is there a lab report component that is due sometime before the next lab?
Old 07-30-2010 at 03:40 AM   #2
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

If the lab isn't marked at EOW it's either that you have it every week or there might be a different schedule. I had a course where we had the labs every week and then another one where I only had 3 or 4 labs in the whole year. So it depends on the course and you'll find out exactly what it means whenever you have the first class.
Also for the lab reports it depends on the course. For some courses the lab report will actually be due at the end of the lab session, so you have to wirte everything while in the lab and usually you need to do some work before going into the lab. In some other courses the lab report will be due before the next lab session. Other times they'll give you a set amount of time to hand in the report. It all depends on the course that you're taking.

Old 07-30-2010 at 08:23 AM   #3
Kareko

Liked: 8 Times

to expand on the lab reports by example: in Chem, there is usually 1 formal report you hand in out of the 5 labs. the others require you to do a prelab- basically making sure that you've read the lab procedure and understand what you will be doing, and write some observations and sometimes a conclusion- if its warranted for the experiment. you hand these 4 "regular" lab reports in at the end of a lab.

some bio classes such as Animal Phys will have 3 large and in depth writeups- these require quite a bit of outside research and are good practice for polishing your report writing (though the space limits were a bit of a pain...)

Bio labs are generally easy and require little pre prep and you usually hand in your report the day of- again 1 more formal one if I remember correctly.

hope that helps
Old 07-30-2010 at 12:06 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

If it doesn't say EOW, chances are it's every week, although in first year it tends to vary. iirc, my Kin 1Y03/1YY3 labs didn't say EOW, but they actually were You'll find out for sure on your first day of classes, though.

Bio1A03 had hugely annoying prelabs when I took it, although they might have changed it. There was also one formal lab report to hand in, and it was done in partners. It was also a huge pain, though. 1M03 (and occasionally 1A03 I think) had small post-labs that had to be handed in the next day in the drop boxes, but these were usually only 1-2 worksheets, so not too bad. They've been in the process of changing these courses for a while though, so things could be different now. They stopped calling the 1M03 dry labs 'labs' and they're now labelled as tutorials, for example

Also, for chem 1A03/1AA3 and bio 1A03, our labs were EOW but we had tutorials on the 'off' week during the same lab slot. None of these tutorials were mandatory though, but I think they made the chem 1A03 ones mandatory last year.

In first year, there's more of an emphasis on prelabs than postlabs, so don't worry too much about formal lab reports until second year--the few they have you do in first year are just practise for second year
Old 07-30-2010 at 12:17 PM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Thank you, sir. I am greatly indebted to you for reminding me of this fact. It makes my seemingly miserable schedule look much better.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-30-2010 at 12:23 PM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I'm sorry if this has been discussed in a previous thread but my hands don't feel like searching for it : Are Bio 2B03 labs every week?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-30-2010 at 12:28 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

There are no Bio 2B03 labs...cell bio, right?
They had them two years ago, but then last year they stopped them partially because of cost and partially because they were pointless

If they decided to re-instate the labs, then I guess they'd be every other week. Someone who took the course two years ago said that they had the option to complete all of the labs during reading week, by doing a lab each day, so there would have only been 4-5. With reading week falling over family day though, they might take away that option if they reinstate the labs and have 5 of them.
Old 07-30-2010 at 12:31 PM   #8
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Also, for chem 1A03/1AA3 and bio 1A03, our labs were EOW but we had tutorials on the 'off' week during the same lab slot. None of these tutorials were mandatory though, but I think they made the chem 1A03 ones mandatory last year.
It doesn't say the bio 1A03 lab is on EOW on the master timetable, I guess I have to wait till the first day of class to find out